Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The stand up thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitch Hedberg, head and shoulders above the rest.
cj1976

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Dee used to be a hilarious standup before he got into mainstream TV sitcom territory. Not particularly offensive or cutting-edge, but his self-deprecating humour and digs about Britishness are great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGOFa9qkmiI&t=2m15s
Dodge7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
Mitch Hedberg, head and shoulders above the rest.

Not even close. He sucks.
pugwall

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favorite comedian right now is the German comic, Henning Wehn. So awesome. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6az6J38--I
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned, Opie & Anthony have comedians dropping by all the time. Jay Mohr was on for the last 3 days and last Thursday then had Jim Norton, Russell Peters, Jay Mohr, AND Billy Connolly all in the studio and uncensored and don't have to worry about saying anything offensive.

Here's the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58tTATz7DMs&feature=results_video
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jack Dee used to be a hilarious standup before he got into mainstream TV sitcom territory

Actually I think Lead Balloon is pretty funny most of the time. A lot of good characters. As for standup, Gervais does it for me at the moment
cj1976

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really into Bill Burr now - thanks to this thread. The guy is absolutely nuts! I watched his new special "You people are all the same" and it was just brilliant. His hungover, rambling podcasts are pretty funny too.
Privateer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to mention John Pinette.

And another really funny person - not a stand-up - Fran Lebowitz.
pugwall

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU7L3D8Ndqo

Amazing comedian, Reginald D Hunter. American guy who is popular in the UK right now. I think would be big if he went back to the states.
joelove

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many good ones. I find it funnier when humor is spontaneous though, not rehearsed. Stand up comics have to practice material and use it over and over again, which is still funny, but not spontaneous, though most of them are good at that too no doubt.
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pugwall wrote:

Amazing comedian, Reginald D Hunter. American guy who is popular in the UK right now. I think would be big if he went back to the states.

He's a hack. I think he's one of those guys who's in the UK because he couldn't or wouldn't be able to make it in the US. Not that he's not funny, just not that great.

Bill Hicks, of course, ended up huge-er in the UK than the US. He was most definitely a legend, but The Machine got a little uncomfortable with his observations and banished him.
pugwall

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
pugwall wrote:

He's a hack. I think he's one of those guys who's in the UK because he couldn't or wouldn't be able to make it in the US. Not that he's not funny, just not that great.

Bill Hicks, of course, ended up huge-er in the UK than the US. He was most definitely a legend, but The Machine got a little uncomfortable with his observations and banished him.

Nah, he has been in the UK for over ten years. He came over to study acting. I hope your insinuation is not that American comics are better than British ones. I love American comics BTW (Doug Stanhope, Louis CK etc) but the UK is just as discerning a comedy market as the US. Stand-up is big business in Blighty
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:

Hicks was massive in the UK. But, his UK stand up material was mostly dumbed down BS when he played those theaters. Those shows, compared to his general on the road US material, are very different. The best Hicks show I've ever heard, was him in Toronto: Sick and could barely speak, yet gave Canadians the biggest and best butt burn I've ever heard in my life. Poetry.
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pugwall wrote:
Privateer wrote:
pugwall wrote:

Nah, he has been in the UK for over ten years. He came over to study acting. I hope your insinuation is not that American comics are better than British ones. I love American comics BTW (Doug Stanhope, Louis CK etc) but the UK is just as discerning a comedy market as the US. Stand-up is big business in Blighty

I'd love you to prove me wrong, but that kind of is my insinuation. Not that there aren't some brilliant stand-ups in the UK - a few mentioned on this thread - but there seem to be more of them in the US. As far as my tastes are concerned anyway.

John Stamos jr. wrote:
Privateer wrote:

Hicks was massive in the UK. But, his UK stand up material was mostly dumbed down BS when he played those theaters. Those shows, compared to his general on the road US material, are very different. The best Hicks show I've ever heard, was him in Toronto: Sick and could barely speak, yet gave Canadians the biggest and best butt burn I've ever heard in my life. Poetry.

Srsly? Got a link to that Toronto show then?

Here's one beautiful British stand-up: Al Murray.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Srsly? Got a link to that Toronto show then?

Voila:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgBiEpMIcfg

He's imploding like crazy until the very end, and it probably takes a seasoned Hicks fan to sit through all of it and appreciate it, but it's been a favorite of mine for years. The horrible crowd + Hicks' complete detachment is a great combo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: