Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2012 Election Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirius black wrote:
Titus wrote:
http://articles.philly.com/2012-11-09/news/34995157_1_voter-turnout-president-obama-gop-voters

Quote:
In a city where President Obama received more than 85 percent of the votes, in some places he received almost every one. In 13 Philadelphia wards, Obama received 99 percent of the vote or more.

Blacks *actually* support Obama the way that North Korea pretends Norks support Kim.

I think what you fail to see is that Blacks support the Democratic party in those kinds of numbers (such as 95% for Gore in '00 not because they want something.

Its purely defensive. They are afraid of having things taken away. Basic rights. Its paranoia to some extent but somewhat understandable given their history in the country.

Black middle class have as much in common with Blacks in the housing projects in the inner city as a white middle class suburbanite does with a poor white unemployed guy living in a trailer park in West Virgina or Kentucky.

Republcans have had a reputation for being anti-Black (and anti Minority such as anti Latino).

So, I would suggest that Blacks voting in that kind of percentage are voting defensively and some like the black middle and upper classes may even be voting against their self interest not because Obama or Democrats are doing things to help them but because the Republicans seem to bent on keeping them down in their minds. Again, it may not be the case but when you have some making certan rhetoric and the race baiting that happens when some use fear of Blacks and Latinos to scare up White voters then I can understand the voting pattern a little better.

I agree with what sirius black said.

I'm disturbed that I am hearing conservatives ruminating about how they can win Latino votes...but totally ignoring black votes. Is it that they are plotting a White/Latino vs White/Black split?

Are they so entangled in a 'split the country' mind-set that they cannot see a path to policies that address economic problems without a racial over-view?
sirius black

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are writing off the Black vote. Stupid in my view but my guess its due to a few things. Ignorance, prejudice and thier thinking there is too much 'history' to over come.

Latinos are seen as an easier 'win'. They have a long road. But they do see some niches. There are many 'white' latinos. Many Cubans and others look white except for their surnames. The latinos as a whole are a very diverse group culturally. A Puerto Rican, Mexican American and Cuban are very different with different concerns and are sometimes at odds with each other. Salvadoreans (fast growiing group, especially in Virginia) do not get along typically with Mexians. The two groups socially hate each other in California for example.

A few things have come out of this election:

1. The tea party losing power.
2. The Republican party rebranding itself. Look for them to promote any female or minority candidate they can find and candidates who speak spanish.
3. What has gone under the radar and bad news for the Republicans is that for the first time I think, Puerto Rico has voted for statehood.
4. It may be the last time the Republicans can rely solely on the white vote to get elected.
5. Republican strategists used to have the best polling and strategies but Obama's machine is now the standard. They have to re-evaluate and change the matrix they have been using.
6. The religious right base is slowly losing its power.
7. The Republican moderates have an opening. Christie and others are going to get more attention.
8. We are firmly in the electronic/social media/internet age. Just about everything a candidate or person says may be recorded and instantly dsseminated. Its already affected the every day person. Your constitutional right of expression can lose you your job if you rant about any socially unacceptable thing like racism, homophobia, etc.

Facebook, Twitter and Youtube show your name or face depending on the medium. Eventually the anonymity of sites such as this will be gone. Titus and bigverne may have to explain to thier bosses why they don't hate minorities. I think its a wrong thing, they have the right of free expression even if I disagree but sadly, its the way we're heading I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: