Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Obama re-elected
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did you expect that?
Yes
88%
 88%  [ 22 ]
No
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 25

The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Obama re-elected Reply with quote

Obama won again. Thoughts?
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NATE SILVER IS A GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly better than the slick Mormon car salesman puppet, IMO. Still, the same guy is holding both puppets. I don't expect much.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hogwonguy1979 wrote:

Looks like he will be 50 for 50. Not too shabby.
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:
Slightly better than the slick Mormon car salesman puppet, IMO. Still, the same guy is holding both puppets. I don't expect much.

+1
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
hogwonguy1979 wrote:

The only one that was truly hard to call was Virginia. Not some brilliant feat.

It's like calling a bunch of football games that feature teams with winning records against crappier teams, or at their closest, marginally worse, with only one game really featuring two truly balanced teams.
actionjackson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They failed at keeping him a one term president, so how does this term play out? Actually, now that I think about, the republicans failed at what they promised in getting rid of Obama. Oh the humanity, can anyone keep their word in this day and age?

Quote:
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., has just released a statement on Obama�s re-election, which the Kentuckian worked hard to prevent.

Here is what McConnell said:

�I extend my sincere congratulations to President Obama and Vice President Biden on their hard-fought victory, and I would like to thank Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan for running a great campaign based on concrete solutions to the tremendous economic challenges we continue to face.

The American people did two things: they gave President Obama a second chance to fix the problems that even he admits he failed to solve during his first four years in office, and they preserved Republican control of the House of Representatives.

The voters have not endorsed the failures or excesses of the president�s first term, they have simply given him more time to finish the job they asked him to do together with a Congress that restored balance to Washington after two years of one-party control.

Now it�s time for the president to propose solutions that actually have a chance of passing the Republican-controlled House of Representatives and a closely-divided Senate, step up to the plate on the challenges of the moment, and deliver in a way that he did not in his first four years in office.

To the extent he wants to move to the political center, which is where the work gets done in a divided government, we�ll be there to meet him half way.

That begins by proposing a way for both parties to work together in avoiding the �fiscal cliff� without harming a weak and fragile economy, and when that is behind us work with us to reform the tax code and our broken entitlement system. Republicans are eager to hear the president�s proposals on these and many other pressing issues going forward and to do the work the people sent us here to do.�
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florida's still out, so the total EC vote is 303-203. A hundred point spread. I thought it would be a bit bigger, but yes, I did expect an Obama win. But then, I'm always optimistic except when I am a despondent pessimist. Very Happy

Quote:
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., has just released a statement

That's pretty craven, even for McConnell. While I don't think Obama or even JC himself would have been able to fix in two years the mess Bush 2 left, I think McConnell is conveniently overlooking (read: trying frantically to distract attention from) the part he played in blocking progress during the last 4 years.

Ummm...'preserving Republican control of the House'...is this not more properly attributable to state legislative gerrymandering rather than deliberate choice by the electorate? McConnell will go down in history as one of the leaders of Congress when it finally sank into single digit approval numbers. That is a bar to which few congressional leaders have ever aspired. But he did it!

'To the extent he wants to move to the political center'... My question: If you keep moving the goal posts to the right, where is the center? You are one of the leaders of a minority party. Why do you get to say where the center is? Yes, the minority should have input. No, the minority should not get to dictate to the majority. If it continues, then it brings Donald Trump's revolution closer.

The good news today: The Thermidorian Reaction was blocked.

(Edited for a wretched misplaced modifier.)
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
bucheon bum wrote:
hogwonguy1979 wrote:

The only one that was truly hard to call was Virginia. Not some brilliant feat.

It's like calling a bunch of football games that feature teams with winning records against crappier teams, or at their closest, marginally worse, with only one game really featuring two truly balanced teams.

I agree with you, but tell that to the pundits who derided him and thought he was nuts. George Will's forecast was brilliant (predicted Romney getting 300something electoral votes).
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
George Will's forecast was brilliant (predicted Romney getting 300something electoral votes).

Ummm...arg? Are you sure about about that?

Didn't David Brooks, Peggy Noonan, and George Will say/write since the GOP held the government hostage, then everyone should bow and scrape to them on the idea that the Right would somehow transform into a sweetness and light kumbayya group of people?
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya-ta Boy wrote:
Quote:
George Will's forecast was brilliant (predicted Romney getting 300something electoral votes).

Ummm...arg? Are you sure about about that?

Obviously I was being sarcastic. At least David Brooks had sense enough not to make a prediction (although he was one of those dismissive of Nate Silver's forecast).
nautilus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its impossible for a spoiled, priveleged candidate like Romney to win when half of americans are unemployed and just trying to survive.

Republicans can't keep on churning out white ivy-league millionaire oil barons and expect to get anywhere. The demographics have changed.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a fair number of people on the right who said something like: Well, the Right is holding everyone hostage and if we want to move beyond that, we need to surrender to the hostage takers. They will naturally transform themselves into a gang.... What?
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trouble no one about their religion or politics; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
JustinC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wall Street is 150 points down, we're approaching 2012, we're all doomed. Take cover.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: