Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Washington State legalizes marijuana
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TheUrbanMyth



Joined: 28 Jan 2003
Location: It's not a superiority complex when you really are superior

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mr. BlackCat"]
TheUrbanMyth wrote:
Mr. BlackCat wrote:

Perhaps most of all, we have to consider that felons in the US lose the right to vote. Literally millions of people across the US cannot vote because they happened to get caught with some weed. .




Do you just CTRL+F this site looking for my name just to 'catch' me. My goodness.

But yes, you're right. I misspoke in that paragraph. I should have said ALL drugs instead of just pot. However, I never said everyone that looks at pot the wrong way gets a felony conviction or that every felon is barred from voting for life. Those are the extremes you put into what I said...

.


It's just that sometimes you write stuff that makes me do a double take....then a triple take in a "Tell me he just didn't write THAT" kinda way


I didn't put any extremes. I took what you said. You said
Quote:
"Perhaps most of all, we have to consider that felons in the US lose the right to vote."

You didn't say that in most states it was temporary. In fact you didn't include any time limit whatsoever. So no extremes there...I just clarified that statement.

And again I never argued that you said everyone who looks at pot the wrong way gets a felony conviction. I said I rather doubt that there are MILLIONS of people not being allowed to vote because they got caught with some pot.
But since you've clarified THAT statement we're all good now. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:


I read somewhere you've got a bigger prison population that all OECD nations combined, or something like that. It's insane.

Oh, and hold your horses...Nixon only visited China after the road had been paved by countries like Sweden and Canada, so don't be so quick to say he was the ''first to visit China'' with the implication that he deserved the Nobel Peace Prize for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada%E2%80%93China_relations

It's like how a couple of years ago the American media was talking about the opening of Vietnam...yeah, 30 years after every other country in the world had been openly trading with it. Wait and see, you'll hear the same song when the US finally stops the Cuban embargo.


I think Mr. BlackCat was making the point that it sometimes takes someone from "the other side" to bring about a major change in policy. It takes a Republican to go to China and "go soft" on a Communist country. It will take social conservatives "going soft" on marijuana for there to be a big change in policy same as it was temperance backers who contributed to the end of Prohibition by admitting they made a mistake. It's a good point.

It doesn't matter if Sweden and Canada paved the way, what was big about Nixon going was that it was someone who was perceived as more of a hardliner. Think about why Eisenhower's warning against the military-industrial complex carries so much weight- It's because he was a general and a Republican.


Last edited by Steelrails on Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. BlackCat



Joined: 30 Nov 2005
Location: Insert witty remark HERE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind, not worth it.

Last edited by Mr. BlackCat on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. BlackCat



Joined: 30 Nov 2005
Location: Insert witty remark HERE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
12ax7 wrote:


I read somewhere you've got a bigger prison population that all OECD nations combined, or something like that. It's insane.

Oh, and hold your horses...Nixon only visited China after the road had been paved by countries like Sweden and Canada, so don't be so quick to say he was the ''first to visit China'' with the implication that he deserved the Nobel Peace Prize for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada%E2%80%93China_relations

It's like how a couple of years ago the American media was talking about the opening of Vietnam...yeah, 30 years after every other country in the world had been openly trading with it. Wait and see, you'll hear the same song when the US finally stops the Cuban embargo.


I think Mr. BlackCat was making the point that it sometimes takes someone from "the other side" to bring about a major change in policy. It takes a Republican to go to China and "go soft" on a Communist country. It will take social conservatives "going soft" on marijuana for there to be a big change in policy same as it was temperance backers who contributed to the end of Prohibition by admitting they made a mistake. It's a good point.

It doesn't matter if Sweden and Canada paved the way, what was big about Nixon going was that it was someone who was perceived as more of a hardliner. Think about why Eisenhower's warning against the military-industrial complex carries so much weight- It's because he was a general and a Republican.


Yeah, in regards to Nixon, I was talking in an American context. And I certainly didn't suggest the guy warranted a Nobel Prize.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fosterman



Joined: 16 Nov 2011

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's just plain stupidity why Cannabis is illegal! makes no friggen sense!

it's not a gate way drug!

the gate way drug is called becoming a teenager! anyone who tried pot for the first time already tried tobacco! and has probably already had a beer!

it's all about drug cartels lobbying to keep it illegal!
big pharma keeping it illegal because it doesn't want to lose more market share to medical marijuana
and prisons which need prisoners to stay profitable
and then there is a patent issue. can't patent it!
well, unless Monsanto get their slimy claws on it somehow, or growers can patent strands I guess..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John Stamos jr.



Joined: 07 Oct 2012
Location: Namsan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman wrote:
it's all about drug cartels lobbying to keep it illegal!
big pharma keeping it illegal because it doesn't want to lose more market share to medical marijuana
and prisons which need prisoners to stay profitable
and then there is a patent issue. can't patent it!
well, unless Monsanto get their slimy claws on it somehow, or growers can patent strands I guess..


Yeah, it's a sad day when you realize you're being ****** everyday of your life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John Stamos jr.



Joined: 07 Oct 2012
Location: Namsan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:
fosterman wrote:
it's all about drug cartels lobbying to keep it illegal!
big pharma keeping it illegal because it doesn't want to lose more market share to medical marijuana
and prisons which need prisoners to stay profitable
and then there is a patent issue. can't patent it!
well, unless Monsanto get their slimy claws on it somehow, or growers can patent strands I guess..


Yeah, it's a sad day when you realize the system is completely a hijacking.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International