Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Titus's open letter to the Queen of England
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Titus



Joined: 19 May 2012

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For about 10 years in Chicago Obama asserted that he was born in Kenya. He, like Liz Warren, was trying to capitalize on the zeitgeist fetishization of difference.

Where did the people who think he was born in Kenya get this idea? From him. Cause he is a liar.

And that's all there is to say about it.

Quote:
Too bad. Monarchy has significant advantages, if its done well.


A major advantage is that it de-politicizes the population. I don't think it is healthy for every member of a society to think his/her vote/opinion counts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
On the other hand



Joined: 19 Apr 2003
Location: I walk along the avenue

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visitorq wrote:

Quote:
Donald Trump and the rest are just Obama's clown sidekicks in the circus show they put on.


So, if it's all one big circus, with everyone on the same side, why would anyone make any issue of Obama's birth ceritificate in the first place?

The Ringmaseters have their man in place, so they should be happy. No reason for them to call up the Republicans and tell them to undermine his legitimacy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Titus



Joined: 19 May 2012

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand wrote:

So, if it's all one big circus, with everyone on the same side, why would anyone make any issue of Obama's birth ceritificate in the first place?

The Ringmaseters have their man in place, so they should be happy. No reason for them to call up the Republicans and tell them to undermine his legitimacy.


Because it distracts and divides the country. It is best that the electorate is obsessing over frivolous nonsense like birth certificates, Big Bird, free birth control for 30 year old spinsters, etc. If they were focused laser-beam like on the oligarchy then things might get complicated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CentralCali



Joined: 17 May 2007

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
For about 10 years in Chicago Obama asserted that he was born in Kenya.


Got any proof that Obama himself made such an assertion?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Titus



Joined: 19 May 2012

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
Titus wrote:
For about 10 years in Chicago Obama asserted that he was born in Kenya.


Got any proof that Obama himself made such an assertion?


Yes. There is ample evidence, ranging from interviews with past friends and acquaintances to his literary agent using it as a selling point. When he was at Oxy he milked it. I don't think he wanted to be seen as a half-white rich kid from Hawaii who went to private schools and was raised by his rich white bank executive grandparents. Hurts the narrative.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
visitorq



Joined: 11 Jan 2008

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything-is-everything wrote:
Since you stated we were lazy for not downloading the birth certificate ourselves, why don't you do the non-lazy thing and run the president's birth certificate through Illustrator, delete the layers with the solid black text of his name that is on there, and digitally write down a different name on top of the fake homogeneous background layer the White House people put in there (as a separate layer no less, that can be toggled on and off)?

I actually could do this, but it would take a lot longer to do than the 5 minutes it would take you to simply check it out for yourself. I also don't have a stylus board hooked up to my computer, so it's kind of hard for me to do good "art" (try handwriting your name with a mouse). There's also the issue of uploading it anonymously so you could download it (without being able to trace it back to me - I actually do value my privacy).

But in terms of actually doing that, it would be possible (and not even particularly difficult - as I said, the version you download direct from the White House is so sloppily put together it already looks like a joke). I could also delete the fake digital background layer they inserted in there (it's a kind of uniform, textured yellow, made to look somewhat like office paper) and replace it with a faded out picture of Mickey Mouse if you like. According to CentralCali this would still be perfectly legit and pass as proof of his citizenship.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GF



Joined: 26 Sep 2012

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:

A major advantage is that it de-politicizes the population.


More generally, the people are happier, simpler, and less liable to envy their neighbour.

What is the iron law ? That power is always for the few. Michels probably swiped the idea from Joseph de Maistre:

Joseph de Maistre wrote:
At all times and in all places, aristocracy dominates. Whatever form is given to governments, birth and wealth always take the first rank [...]


To bring this back to your point, the de-politicization of the lower classes:

Joseph de Maistre wrote:
Now, it is one of the greatest advantages of monarchical government that in it the aristocracy loses, as much as the nature of things allows, all those features offensive to the lower classes.

[...]

In republics, on the other hand, the distinction between persons exists as much as in monarchies, but it is harder and more offensive because it is not the work of the law and because popular opinion regards it as a continual rebellion against the principle of equality admitted by the constitution.


We could go on. But why argue 'pros and cons' ? Monarchy has an innate glory; and strong light always stings the eyes of cave-dwellers:

CS Lewis wrote:
Monarchy can easily be debunked, but watch the faces, mark well the debunkers. These are the men whose taproot in Eden has been cut: whom no rumour of the polyphony, the dance, can reach [...]


Have faith, Titus, we win in the end. The imperium romanum sacrum will be restored:

Quote:
The Hidden King ... the one destined to bring peace [will come]. At his coronation all the evils will cease ... he is a descendent to the line of Saint King Louis.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
visitorq



Joined: 11 Jan 2008

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
Quote:
Too bad. Monarchy has significant advantages, if its done well.


A major advantage is that it de-politicizes the population. I don't think it is healthy for every member of a society to think his/her vote/opinion counts.

I'd still prefer something like a technocracy though, if we had to have a dictatorship. Monarchy just seems so offensive to me. I lived in Thailand for a few years and that part was truly hard to stomach.

I'm pretty much a classical liberal/libertarian type at heart, but on bad days (when I see all the Obama zombies partying in the streets over their imagined "victory") I confess to seeing the virtue in the idea of a meritocracy - i.e. a meritocracy with an emphasis on the '-cracy' part (or I guess it's just a more Platonic version of an aristocracy, or perhaps technocracy covers it). The point being (drawing on what you said) that having the brainwashed masses voting for things can actually take away our liberties and further collectivize our society, which is harmful and worth stopping by force if need be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sirius black



Joined: 04 Jun 2010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
For about 10 years in Chicago Obama asserted that he was born in Kenya. He, like Liz Warren, was trying to capitalize on the zeitgeist fetishization of difference.

Where did the people who think he was born in Kenya get this idea? From him. Cause he is a liar.

And that's all there is to say about it.
.

This is the first I've heard this. Any proof or links to support that?
It could be true but I thought I heard every story.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CentralCali



Joined: 17 May 2007

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
CentralCali wrote:
Titus wrote:
For about 10 years in Chicago Obama asserted that he was born in Kenya.


Got any proof that Obama himself made such an assertion?


Yes. There is ample evidence, ranging from interviews with past friends and acquaintances to his literary agent using it as a selling point. When he was at Oxy he milked it. I don't think he wanted to be seen as a half-white rich kid from Hawaii who went to private schools and was raised by his rich white bank executive grandparents. Hurts the narrative.


Then you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever in posting a link or two to that evidence, right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CentralCali



Joined: 17 May 2007

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visitorq wrote:
According to CentralCali this would still be perfectly legit and pass as proof of his citizenship.


Just for fun, next time you post about something that is "according to CentralCali," try to make a true statement.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CentralCali



Joined: 17 May 2007

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visitorq wrote:
You have no actual arguments so you always resort to race-baiting. Expand your consciousness and leave the one-track-mind level of idiocy behind...


Always, huh? Look, I freely admit that I think you have a distant, far distant relationship with the truth. The thing is, I'd really like to see you generate some evidence from this board here that I, CentralCali, "always resort to race-baiting. What would be fun, though, is when you fail to do that, to see you actually admit to your dishonesty.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
visitorq



Joined: 11 Jan 2008

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
visitorq wrote:
You have no actual arguments so you always resort to race-baiting. Expand your consciousness and leave the one-track-mind level of idiocy behind...


Always, huh? Look, I freely admit that I think you have a distant, far distant relationship with the truth. The thing is, I'd really like to see you generate some evidence from this board here that I, CentralCali, "always resort to race-baiting. What would be fun, though, is when you fail to do that, to see you actually admit to your dishonesty.

Yeah, maybe when you admit you're full of crap about digitally altered documents (composed of several layers, including a fake background) constituting proof of anything, then I'll take your request into consideration.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CentralCali



Joined: 17 May 2007

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I never said a digitally altered document is proof of anything, I guess we can all take your last post as an admission that you are, in fact, dishonest. Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
visitorq



Joined: 11 Jan 2008

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
I never said a digitally altered document is proof of anything

Nice. I'm glad to hear it. I'll take this as your tacit admission, therefore, that the Obama birth certificate released by the White House is not proof of anything. Glad we cleared the matter up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International