Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Intelligence of a U.S. teen post election shown

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sigmundsmith



Joined: 22 Nov 2007

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: The Intelligence of a U.S. teen post election shown Reply with quote

http://gawker.com/5958923/australia-twitter+shames-the-crap-out-of-random-teen-who-threatens-to-move-down-under-after-obama-win?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_facebook&utm_source=gawker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow


Australia Twitter-Shames the Crap Out of Random Teen Who Threatens to Move Down Under After Obama Win


Quote:
In the run-up to, and immediate aftermath of, every presidential election there will be those who say they are moving to [insert foreign country here] if their candidate's main challenger wins.

In the end, no one actually moves anywhere, but the quadrennial tradition persists.

Next time around, however, it's likely that at least one person will be shying away from making idle threats about leaving the country at least in public.

18-year-old Kristen Neel of Georgia thought she would be just another threat in the crowd when she tweeted shortly after President Obama's reelection that she was "moving to Australia, because their president is a Christian and actually supports what he says."

However, not wanting to get stuck with someone as ignorant as Neel, the people of Australia quickly banded together and tweet-shamed her into oblivion.

"[O]ur "president" is a prime minister, is a woman, and is an atheist," responded one of the more than 1,500 Twitter users who retweeted Neel's remark. "I think you meant Antarctica. Move there."

Others were a bit more kind to Neel. "Not one word of that sentence is true," tweeted @ABCnewsIntern. "I'm not even angry, I'm impressed."

And here are a few more:

Ian Cuthbertson@cuthbertsoni
@KristenNeel_ Our prime minister is a woman, an atheist who lives with a man she hasn't married. I don't think you'd like it here.

7 Nov 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite
Mark Pesce@mpesce
.@KristenNeel_ 1) Australia does not have a president. 2) Our prime minister is an atheist. 3) Yes, she really is.

7 Nov 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite
Ken Sekiya@ki_sekiya
I feel sorry for @KristenNeel_. USA, may I suggest more funding to Public Education to avoid another Twitter-tragedy in 4 years time.

8 Nov 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite
Concera Vota@conceravota
@KristenNeel_ You do know Australia has a progressive female leader who is an athiest? Yes? I knew you did.

7 Nov 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite
Neel has since deleted her Twitter account and has likely gone into hiding, but not before issuing this clarification: "I was referring to the prevous (sic) office that actually had a moral position."

Oh, wait. That doesn't actually clarify anything.


The poor thing. She doesn't realize the Australia is a progressive society, with universal health care, affordable higher education (payment can be made to the government for tuition costs), recognizes same-sex couples who have the same rights as heterosexual couples, social security, the list goes on. So, basically so wants to move to a socialist/communist/marxist state?

Oh, ignorance is bliss!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CentralCali



Joined: 17 May 2007

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What previous office? Perhaps she meant the Queen. Yeah, I can see how someone as apparently clueless as the teen concerned might believe that the Queen is Australia's president.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
geldedgoat



Joined: 05 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely there was something else going on in the world other than one teenager making an uninformed tweet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Adam Carolla



Joined: 26 Feb 2010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geldedgoat wrote:
Surely there was something else going on in the world other than one teenager making an uninformed tweet.


That's crazy talk.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kuros



Joined: 27 Apr 2004

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its just picking on an 18-year-old.

This would've been an awesome moment for Australia if a high-profile American media pundit or figure had made this comment. Unfortunately, it was just some random teen with a twitter account.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
geldedgoat



Joined: 05 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
Its just picking on an 18-year-old.

This would've been an awesome moment for Australia if a high-profile American media pundit or figure had made this comment. Unfortunately, it was just some random teen with a twitter account.


Don't be silly. Any excuse is good enough for a little nationalistic chest-thumping, especially if it comes with a healthy dose of anti-Americanism.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andrewchon



Joined: 16 Nov 2008
Location: In my goshiwon cubicle. Seeking moksha.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
What previous office? Perhaps she meant the Queen. Yeah, I can see how someone as apparently clueless as the teen concerned might believe that the Queen is Australia's president.


She probably meant John Howard, the previous conservative PM, who was a good ally to George Walker Bush. A president is elected, the Queen by acclaimation (snap election I suppose), the Governor General is appointed by the Queen. Current GG is a Roman Catholic broad from Brizzie. I don't think this girl would like her, either. As for Julia Gillard, a Simon Crean protege with blazing crimson hair is a one scary woman.


Last edited by andrewchon on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CentralCali



Joined: 17 May 2007

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought succession to the UK crown (and thus also the crown to the other states over which that monarch is monarch) was stipulated by law.

Last edited by CentralCali on Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bloopity Bloop



Joined: 26 Apr 2009
Location: Seoul yo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geldedgoat wrote:
Kuros wrote:
Its just picking on an 18-year-old.

This would've been an awesome moment for Australia if a high-profile American media pundit or figure had made this comment. Unfortunately, it was just some random teen with a twitter account.


Don't be silly. Any excuse is good enough for a little nationalistic chest-thumping, especially if it comes with a healthy dose of anti-Americanism.


Wow, your post is so edgy I almost cut myself on it. Oh wait, we're not in 2005 anymore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lithium



Joined: 18 Jun 2008

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Intelligence of a U.S. teen post election shown Reply with quote

sigmundsmith wrote:
http://gawker.com/5958923/australia-twitter+shames-the-crap-out-of-random-teen-who-threatens-to-move-down-under-after-obama-win?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_facebook&utm_source=gawker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow


Australia Twitter-Shames the Crap Out of Random Teen Who Threatens to Move Down Under After Obama Win


Quote:
In the run-up to, and immediate aftermath of, every presidential election there will be those who say they are moving to [insert foreign country here] if their candidate's main challenger wins.

In the end, no one actually moves anywhere, but the quadrennial tradition persists.

Next time around, however, it's likely that at least one person will be shying away from making idle threats about leaving the country at least in public.

18-year-old Kristen Neel of Georgia thought she would be just another threat in the crowd when she tweeted shortly after President Obama's reelection that she was "moving to Australia, because their president is a Christian and actually supports what he says."

However, not wanting to get stuck with someone as ignorant as Neel, the people of Australia quickly banded together and tweet-shamed her into oblivion.

"[O]ur "president" is a prime minister, is a woman, and is an atheist," responded one of the more than 1,500 Twitter users who retweeted Neel's remark. "I think you meant Antarctica. Move there."

Others were a bit more kind to Neel. "Not one word of that sentence is true," tweeted @ABCnewsIntern. "I'm not even angry, I'm impressed."

And here are a few more:

Ian Cuthbertson@cuthbertsoni
@KristenNeel_ Our prime minister is a woman, an atheist who lives with a man she hasn't married. I don't think you'd like it here.

7 Nov 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite
Mark Pesce@mpesce
.@KristenNeel_ 1) Australia does not have a president. 2) Our prime minister is an atheist. 3) Yes, she really is.

7 Nov 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite
Ken Sekiya@ki_sekiya
I feel sorry for @KristenNeel_. USA, may I suggest more funding to Public Education to avoid another Twitter-tragedy in 4 years time.

8 Nov 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite
Concera Vota@conceravota
@KristenNeel_ You do know Australia has a progressive female leader who is an athiest? Yes? I knew you did.

7 Nov 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite
Neel has since deleted her Twitter account and has likely gone into hiding, but not before issuing this clarification: "I was referring to the prevous (sic) office that actually had a moral position."

Oh, wait. That doesn't actually clarify anything.


The poor thing. She doesn't realize the Australia is a progressive society, with universal health care, affordable higher education (payment can be made to the government for tuition costs), recognizes same-sex couples who have the same rights as heterosexual couples, social security, the list goes on. So, basically so wants to move to a socialist/communist/marxist state?Oh, ignorance is bliss!


Welcome to Obama's Post-Constitutional America.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andrewchon



Joined: 16 Nov 2008
Location: In my goshiwon cubicle. Seeking moksha.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or possibly Austria. They do elect presidents. Incumbant Heinz Fischer is an agnostic but his predecessor Thomas Klestil was a Roman Catholic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International