Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Larry Hagman is dead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
On the other hand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Larry Hagman is dead Reply with quote

Quote:
Larry Hagman's J.R. Ewing was Darth Vader in a 10-gallon hat.
Hagman, who played the dastardly oilman on Dallas, and, as such, became TV's highest-paid actors, died Friday in the city that served as the backdrop for his signature role. He was 81.

One of my earliest memories is of seeing(not really watching) I Dream Of Jeannie on TV. But I had no idea who he was at the time.

I remember Who Shot J.R. being the catch-phrase of the year in 1980. I watched the episode where the answer was revealed, and actually pretended to have an opinion. Might be the only full episode of Dallas I ever watched.

Other than that, he was good as the Democratic elder-statesman with dark secrets from his past in Primary Colors. I never could figure out which real-life politician he was supposed to be. Maybe a composite?

There was some controversy about his liver transplant in '95. Something about being such a heavy drinker and possibly being fast-tracked to the front of the list.

link
On the other hand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes. Forgot about this...

"I got federal price controls on my oil. And the ragheads are beatin' the shit outta me, Dick."
Unposter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly, Larry Hagman wants to be burried in a field of wheat and pot. Then, he wants his friends to harvest the wheat and pot and bake a pot-laced cake and he wants his friends to "eat" him.

At least, that is what I read.

Hagman, the son of a lawyer who worked with actual oil barons in Texas, was an active supporter of liberal causes.

Ahh...you have to love the older generation.
caniff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps3d0qYdeSE

People from my childhood TV days are dropping like flies. Sherman Helmsley (right?), Horshack, etc.

This doesn't bode well for my hopes of immortality.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know you're old when you identify "I dream of Genie" with Hagman more than you do w/ "Dallas". Very Happy
caniff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be defensive, they were I Dream of Jeannie re-runs that I remember, which aired along with Hogan's Heroes and original Star Trek re-runs. Oh, and Barney Miller and All In The Family.

Never got into Dallas for some reason.
On the other hand

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caniff wrote:
To be defensive, they were I Dream of Jeannie re-runs that I remember, which aired along with Hogan's Heroes and original Star Trek re-runs. Oh, and Barney Miller and All In The Family.

I think they would've JUST gone into syndication when I was seeing them on local TV. It was around 5:00 PM, so not prime time obviously. I remember being slightly freaked out by the image of Jeannie's eyes in the lamp.

Later, I got seriously into re-runs of Bewitched, the Ur-text of the genre. Pretty much all the major cast members from that show are dead.
Kuros

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reason claims Larry Hagman Saved Romania from Communism

A fun video. Ultimately, I believe the collapse of the USSR had more to do with Ceausescu's demise.
caniff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand wrote:
caniff wrote:

I think they would've JUST gone into syndication when I was seeing them on local TV. It was around 5:00 PM, so not prime time obviously. I remember being slightly freaked out by the image of Jeannie's eyes in the lamp.

Later, I got seriously into re-runs of Bewitched, the Ur-text of the genre. Pretty much all the major cast members from that show are dead.

Syndication, that's what I meant (duh). Yeah, I recall the shows I mentioned (and Bewitched) running late afternoons. Now I just watch a few minutes of the History Channel before crashing out or sometimes a Celtics/Pats game. TV these days is almost dead to me, but I keep cable because my wife likes to watch the ghost shows on the sci-fi channel or whatever it is and I think it helps her with her English.
Los Angeloser

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry's mother was Peter Pan(Mary Martin) and he was the most popular TV actor of the time/1980's during the 'Dallas' run.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Martin
"Martin as Peter Pan in the 1960 telecast, "the actress still most identified with the starring role" according to famoustexans.com"
geldedgoat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught plenty of him on Nick at Nite reruns but had no idea he had any connection with Dallas. That should tell you how many episodes of that show I watched.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: