Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will Spotify kill I-tunes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Will Spotify kill I-tunes? Reply with quote

I created an account to the "free" version using a fake Facebook account (I did it over VPN) and can now choose whatever songs I want, essentially, and stream them to my computer via their free version (once an a while a commercial plays between songs). It only cares that you are in the USA, although my VPN took care of that.

I have found that, simply logging-in to Spotify once with my VPN works, and then I can turn off the VPN. As long as I keep Spotify open in the background, it seems to play fine -- VPN or not after that.

I'm guessing one might be able to use the free Hotspotshield VPN too?

I really love Spotify, and they seem to have about every online song under the sun from the USA.

This is going to absolutely kill I-tunes.
yoitsmykey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotify is awesome, I agree.

But as long as tons of people keep buying the iPhone, which heavily relies on iTunes, people will still use it. That and some people have already invested heavily in their iTunes library.
methdxman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Will Spotify kill I-tunes? Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
I created an account to the "free" version using a fake Facebook account (I did it over VPN) and can now choose whatever songs I want, essentially, and stream them to my computer via their free version (once an a while a commercial plays between songs). It only cares that you are in the USA, although my VPN took care of that.

I have found that, simply logging-in to Spotify once with my VPN works, and then I can turn off the VPN. As long as I keep Spotify open in the background, it seems to play fine -- VPN or not after that.

I'm guessing one might be able to use the free Hotspotshield VPN too?

I really love Spotify, and they seem to have about every online song under the sun from the USA.

This is going to absolutely kill I-tunes.

What's your definition of "kill" iTunes?

As long as Spotify doesn't affect Apple's hardware sales, they don't really care. Apple only sells songs, movies, apps, etc. in order to keep their ecosystem together, they make the most profit from selling hardware.

That's why Apple offers Netflix, Spotify, Pandora, etc. all on their platform, because they're mostly interested in people buying iphones, ipads, macs, ipods, etc.

Apple wouldn't be too crushed to have to scale down their music business as long as their hardware sales aren't impacted.

The real question is, will Spotify kill artists? The answer is that the vast majority of artists will never make the kind of money that was available 20 years ago. Only super-super-superstars will make millions, the rest are f'ed.
T-J

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Will Spotify kill I-tunes? Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
I created an account to the "free" version using a fake Facebook account (I did it over VPN) and can now choose whatever songs I want, essentially, and stream them to my computer via their free version (once an a while a commercial plays between songs).

The free version only lasts for six months though after that you're restricted to 2.5 hours a week, 10 hours a month.

Do you plan on creating another free subscription at that point or pay?
Otherside

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Will Spotify kill I-tunes? Reply with quote

T-J wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:
I created an account to the "free" version using a fake Facebook account (I did it over VPN) and can now choose whatever songs I want, essentially, and stream them to my computer via their free version (once an a while a commercial plays between songs).

The free version only lasts for six months though after that you're restricted to 2.5 hours a week, 10 hours a month.

Making a new (fake) acc every 6months doesn't seem too bad.
How much does it cost if you choose to pay?

Quote:
The real question is, will Spotify kill artists? The answer is that the vast majority of artists will never make the kind of money that was available 20 years ago. Only super-super-superstars will make millions, the rest are f'ed.

There will always be people making music. I always felt musicians making 10s of millions of dollars was somewhat obscene. While the golden days of making money are over, there will still be ways for them to cash in. More tours and live gigs, and the superstars will always be able to monetise their fame...Britney got $15m for being on X-Factor..and she hasn't had a hit since forever.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Will Spotify kill I-tunes? Reply with quote

T-J wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:

I do not listen often enough to reach that limit. Besides, any new FB account will do, if needed.
thurst

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Will Spotify kill I-tunes? Reply with quote

Otherside wrote:
There will always be people making music. I always felt musicians making 10s of millions of dollars was somewhat obscene. While the golden days of making money are over, there will still be ways for them to cash in. More tours and live gigs, and the superstars will always be able to monetise their fame...Britney got $15m for being on X-Factor..and she hasn't had a hit since forever.

lol britney dropped a platinum album last year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: