Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for more tips on finding a job.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whoknows

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Looking for more tips on finding a job. Reply with quote

Greetings all,

First time poster here. I have wanted to work in Korea for a few years, but never felt I had saved up enough to make the move. In May, I got all my documents and applied with a recruiter a friend recommended. Unfortunately, it has not gone well. Only a handful of interviews, that I never hear from again. The interviews generally go relatively well, and they compliment me on how clearly I speak and how easy I am to understand. This recruiter had me send my documents to Korea, claiming it would give me an edge since other applicants would not be able to get the paperwork to Korea as fast. But after a few months I realized it was mostly to prevent me from applying with other recruiters. Confused

I don't really have any teaching experience, and am not what anybody would consider a handsome man. I've read some topics here that paint that as a bad thing for getting my foot in the door.

Now that my criminal record check is more than 6 months old, I was looking for some advice before I go through the trouble and expense of getting all my documents again.
newb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried making follow-up calls. You should contact them and ask.
FaceFaceFace

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I think you need to decide now if you want to commit to getting a job in Korea because you will need to get your CRC all over again and that can take time dpending on where you are in the world.

In the meantime I would be doing a ton of research and finding out about all things to do with working as an Englis teacher in Korea.

Recruiters will be more interested if you have your resume, cover letter, photo/s and (scanned) documents ready to go at a moment's notice so they can send them to schools to interview you.

Being available and following up on emails takes time but if you want to get a good job in Korea then you will need to set aside time for this.

It's just business, be polite, but also look after your own interests (ie--chase people up about positions, petition for placements and don't use just one recruiter).

Scour the job board here, on Craigslist, Facebook, etc etc etc spam your resume and get noticed.

Before you do all that, get a plan together and write things down if need be. Example: plan to be working in a hagwon in late Feb./early March, am flexible on location but must be a large city teaching middle schoolers/elementary schoolers but NOT kinder.

Know what you can be flexible on and what you won't and stick to it.
timhorton

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a professional (suit/tie/shave/hair cut) photo and have it photoshoped. That is widely accepted here to make the first impression. If you have a skype interview or youtube video self introduction then use make-up or something Confused
YTMND

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but never felt I had saved up enough to make the move.

What does that mean? I used less than 300 USD my first month and had additional money in the bank, as well as an offer of a loan from the hagwon owner. One month later, 2,500,000 won was put into my first bank account in Korea.

You never saved up enough? Again, I ask, what does that mean?

You can use a credit card, it gives you a few thousand USD. After a month you can easily pay it off. For me, it started at $3,000. I have never had to use it to that extent, maybe $500 tops.

You never saved up enough? What does that mean?
Skippy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tips 1.

What is wrong with you? Really look at yourself and think what about you is hampering your job search. This goes from looks to behavior. What you may think is wrong with you, may not be what an employer may thinks is wrong. Do you know what schools are looking for? Once you know what is wrong with you. Then you have two options. One disguise or hide what is wrong with you. Two, drown it out with what is good about you. (See tip 2)

Tip 2.

What makes you the one to hire? Can a school save money with you? Are you available right away? In Tip 1 I said drown out the bad points with good points.

Tip 3.

Korea is not the United States, Canada or England or wherever. It is Korea. A neat resume is all nice and good, but many times that is skimmed while the passport info page scan is scoured. Who cares what university you can from. Your passport says you are over 40 years old. Wow you have a degree in Education, nice but your passport photo shows that you a African American. Stop thinking logically and take off those politically correct rose colored glasses. The people here will be racist, ageist and even lookist.
I added a "personal information" sheet to my job package that answered all the questions that employers really want to know! From age to accent. Remember tip 2, this is where you want to show what is really great about you. Just remember some 20-something blond haired girl next door from California with "asests" will beat any experienced teaching old male with a large ass.

Tip 4.

Understand the nature of how the recruiter works. Ttompatz (another poster here) summed it up as think them like used car salesman. You want a car, a good car for a good price. Sorry a salesman does not share the same objectives as you. They want to sell that car they have had for a long time for as much money as possible. Recruiters are not your friends. The best recruiter is the one that will find you a job. Use any and all.

Tip 5.

Human nature. People are lazy. Recruiters and schools do not want to do more work. If all a recruiter had to do is pick up a phone and have a person hired, they would. If you do not have paperwork ready, you mean more work for them later on. If you have to many demands (I want Seoul, I want 2.5 million won per month) you are too difficult. If you have flaws as mentioned in tip 1, you are going to be harder to sell then someone without. So your goal to make you so easy to hire all they have to do is go yes and send a plane ticket. If they ask do you have the paperwork - DONE! Ok, we need to get your visa sent to the consulate. You already have the info and steps need to be done on hand.
You want the job, you have to do the work.

Tip 6.
Human nature again. People are impatient and easily distracted. Stop waiting for answers. Buy a long distance phone card and call the recruiter. Stop sending emails, which are easily ignored. Stop waiting!
You want it, YOU get it. Simply put if more then 3 days has passed since you heard from a school or recruiter then they have either forgotten you or do not want to deal with you. Sorry there is no "Dear John" letters in this game.

Hope that helps
JustinC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you have a clean record, what qualifications do you have, how old are you, where in Korea do you want to work, what age range do you want to teach, what work experience do you have?

Throw us a frickin' bone here. Need the info.
Guajiro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for more tips on finding a job. Reply with quote

whoknows wrote:
Greetings all,

First time poster here. I have wanted to work in Korea for a few years, but never felt I had saved up enough to make the move. In May, I got all my documents and applied with a recruiter a friend recommended. Unfortunately, it has not gone well. Only a handful of interviews, that I never hear from again. The interviews generally go relatively well, and they compliment me on how clearly I speak and how easy I am to understand. This recruiter had me send my documents to Korea, claiming it would give me an edge since other applicants would not be able to get the paperwork to Korea as fast. But after a few months I realized it was mostly to prevent me from applying with other recruiters. Confused

I don't really have any teaching experience, and am not what anybody would consider a handsome man. I've read some topics here that paint that as a bad thing for getting my foot in the door.

Now that my criminal record check is more than 6 months old, I was looking for some advice before I go through the trouble and expense of getting all my documents again.

First step, get a new criminal record check and all other required visa documents in order.

Next, apply to any and all recruiters hiring for Korea. Highlight any teaching-related skills you have. It doesn't have to be classroom teaching, but especially anything working with kids in a supervisory/leadership role. Include a photo with your resume in which you are professionally dressed, clean shaven, well cropped hair, etc. Send them scans of requested documents (black out the passport number if necessary).

Don't send any hard copies until you are applying for the visa.

Be available to interview at times convenient for them, taking their location into consideration. Not the middle of the night Korea time, for example. Remember that you are the one applying for the job, they are not applying to hire you.

Sound flexible in terms of location, school type, student age (exception: I would say no kindergarten, but that's me), salary, etc. Be polite and professional when responding to schools and recruiters and do so in a timely manner. Field any and all offers and accept the one that is the best fit for you.

Best of luck!
whoknows

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinC wrote:
So you have a clean record, what qualifications do you have, how old are you, where in Korea do you want to work, what age range do you want to teach, what work experience do you have?

Throw us a frickin' bone here. Need the info.

I didn't think this would be important but, I am willing(and indicated to my recruiter) that I am willing to work anywhere in Korea, and am willing to teach any age of student.

I don't really have any qualifications that would set me apart aside from my BBA. Only work experience has been call centres, since that is all I'd been able to really find here after graduating. I'm 31 years old.

And of course I have a clean record. Why would I have bothered getting a criminal record check, and be thinking of getting a new one if it wasn't going to come back pristine and clear of any issues. Get your head out of your ass.
PRagic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Next, apply to any and all recruiters hiring for Korea." X10000
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoknows wrote:

...And of course I have a clean record. Why would I have bothered getting a criminal record check, and be thinking of getting a new one if it wasn't going to come back pristine and clear of any issues. Get your head out of your ass.

Yep, thats the way to induce well-meaning strangers to offer advice.
JustinC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoknows wrote:
JustinC wrote:
So you have a clean record

And of course I have a clean record. Why would I have bothered getting a criminal record check, and be thinking of getting a new one if it wasn't going to come back pristine and clear of any issues. Get your head out of your ass.

[Edited for clarity.]

Heh. You need to put a question mark in that second sentence. Sentences that start with why, what, where, when, or who are usually questions.

Also you should read sentences that contain parentheses as though that remark isn't there. "I didn't think this would be important but, I am willing that I am willing to work anywhere in Korea, and am willing to teach any age of student." doesn't read well. Also the comma in that sentence is redundant.

Glad you used 'have' instead of 'of'. When I started teaching English as a foreign language in '07 (I was older than you are now) I used to say and type 'would of'. After teaching in five countries since then I've fixed up a lot of my errors but not all. Fortunately in Korea, teaching children, your grammar and spelling won't be called on.

Your attitude, though, will be.
whoknows

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinC wrote:
snipped for length

Your post was needlessly snarky, and used "frikkin" as a way to swear without really swearing. If you push like that, don't be surprised if people push back in response.

Thanks all for the advice so far.
JustinC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoknows wrote:
JustinC wrote:
snipped for length

Your post was needlessly snarky, and used "frikkin" as a way to swear without really swearing. If you push like that, don't be surprised if people push back in response.

Okay no problem. It was a bad joke, referencing Austin Powers. Google "Throw us a frickin' bone here. Need the info." and you'll see.
Skippy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoknows wrote:
JustinC wrote:
snipped for length

Hey, welcome to the Internet! It is a mean and nasty place at times. Plus you are lucky you caught me on a good day. I am usually the snarky one. You want FREE advice sorry it is going to come with snark, half answers, and bad humor.

JustinC is right in asking for more information. More information, helps us, help you. He is also correct in critiquing your writing. Sorry it is an unwritten rule here on ESLcafe. Grammar and spelling counts, more so when people like to toot their own horn. Some grammar Nazi's are free to reign here. You are free to ignore, which I do.

Plus the swearing, for me at times I think it helps enunciate a point.

Now that I have put your newbie arse back in place and not to be a complete jerk... Here is some more advice.

Number 7.
Stop using the same formula as everyone else use to get a job. The basic routine of sending a resume to recruiters and waiting for job is not the most efficient. This as you found out takes a long time to get a job, more so back in the US. Plus in the current market, add in even more time. Shake it up.... what can you do differently from everyone else.

Contact the recruiter(S) often. Call them, message them, pester them. Skip email as it can be ignored.
    Find alternatives to recruiters, trying applying directly to schools. Post your resume up on various places.
    Network. Join various FB groups and forums, ask serious questions.
    Supplement your job application. Get a nice photo of yourself. Can you get an action shot of you in class? How about a sample video of you teaching. Separate yourself from every other schmo that is looking for a job.
    Fix your job package that is is neat and quick to look at. A single well formatted PDF will be looked at more then a bunch of random scans and documents. Remove any or downplay fluff if possible.

Number 8.

Understand how to communicate. Many times many of the recruiters have English as a second language. Even worse many of them have very sub par levels. So if you have a recruiter that seems to stumble a bit with the language, adapt. You will have to speak simple. Try to make your points and that much simpler. Give them time to adsorb the information. Repeat if necessary.
The other problem is many recruiters are busy/lazy. Long conversations with a potential hire are boring and a waste of time. Thing of conversations with them like giving a pitch. It should not last more then a elevator ride at times. Same with emails. it should be short and quick to the point. This is one of my major flaws, as you can see by my post (on and on and on).

Number 9

Read more of the board here. Lurk and research. You will learn many many things. Information that will help you find a job and work in Korea. From visas, to life in a hagwo. Do your own work as people will rarely ever hand it to you.

Should stop now.

Toughen Up, Calm down, and Good frickin' Luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: