Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Frankly speaking" and "Take a rest"
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you use "take a rest" and "frankly speaking"?
I don't use either expression
53%
 53%  [ 17 ]
I use both expressions
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
I only use "frankly speaking"
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
I only use "take a rest"
28%
 28%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 32

Engrish Mufffin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: "Frankly speaking" and "Take a rest" Reply with quote

I'm curious about these two expressions, has anyone actually heard these expressions being used regularly in their home country?

It's no secret Koreans love to use these two and by use I actually mean overuse.

I was first asked this my first year in Korea, back 5 years ago, and ever since then I've always tried to be conscious of when people used it in real life, movies and TV shows. There's not a single instance where I've heard "frankly speaking" with friends back home or on TV shows and movies. However, I have had some native speakers here in Korea say people use it.

A search on Dave's gave me quite a few results of people on here using "frankly speaking." It is however no secret that native speakers who have been here for awhile start picking up bad English and even start using Konglish.

For "take a rest" I've heard it on a few occasions including on a workout video. However, "take a rest" seems to be used unnaturally and overused by Koreans. Take a break, get some rest, relaxing, hanging out are some alternatives (depending on the context).

For "frankly speaking" I've never heard anyone outside of Korea using it. Instead you often hear or read: frankly, to be frank, quite frankly, to be honest, and honestly.

In my opinion and in my short research, Americans don't really use either expression. I'm curious about the UK/Canada/Australia. Do you use the expression or not? Why do Koreans love to use these expressions in their textbook?
Steelrails

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly speaking my dear I don't think I've ever heard that used.
jammo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

쉬세요/설직히 말하면....

thats your answer right there. commonly used phrases translated to English. Nothing more complex than that. Good question!
Engrish Mufffin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jammo wrote:
쉬세요/설직히 말하면....

thats your answer right there. commonly used phrases translated to English. Nothing more complex than that. Good question!

That could be it, but I would think that if it was from only one book, but it seems like it's in a ton of school books.
Ocalmy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Frankly speaking" is a term that might come up in the dialogue of a Hawthorne novel, but I don't hear anyone using it regularly. Its appeal for Koreans might be that it's kind of emboldening. It's no secret that many Koreans have trouble being direct. This little adverbial phrase, a warning that they're about to be direct, might come in handy.

"Take a rest" use to drive me crazy. Then I married a Korean and employed the old can't beat em' join em' strategy. Now the phrase is used so often in my home that I can't remember a time when it wasn't. Rolling Eyes

Language is alive... I've made peace with "take a rest"
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Frankly speaking, I don't give a damn." I guess it was used in Gone with The Wind times.

"Take a rest" is Konglish to me.

Also, "long time no see" seems like Konglish too. It certainly doesn't sound like proper English.

I think the add on ending ",and you?" I've only encountered in Korea. I purposely never respond.
maximmm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Your Daddy? wrote:
"Frankly speaking, I don't give a damn." I guess it was used in Gone with The Wind times.

Also, "long time no see" seems like Konglish too. It certainly doesn't sound like proper English.

I think the add on ending ",and you?" I've only encountered in Korea. I purposely never respond.

What country are you from?!
Ginormousaurus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engrish Mufffin wrote:
jammo wrote:
쉬세요/설직히 말하면....

That could be it, but I would think that if it was from only one book, but it seems like it's in a ton of school books.

They are in a ton of books becuase they are the direct translations of common Korean phrases. Just like jammo said. I'm not sure why it being in lots of books makes the proposed explanation less valid.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fezmond wrote:
Frankly speaking is used in the UK a fair bit.

I've never heard that used where I'm from.
J Rock

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard the, "Frankly Speaking my Dear," in Korea before but I've heard, "Take a rest," and that use to annoy me but i've gotten used to it.

I dont mind it anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't these both commonly used in UK, Aus, Zealand?

I assume OP is American or Canadian?

"take a rest" always stood out to me as strange, but then I started noticing it in all the other commonwealth dialogue (less Canadians).

Quote:

Really? Both of these are extremely common amongst people I talk to.
ontheway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Your Daddy? wrote:

In Gone With the Wind the line was "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."

So, no "frankly speaking" there. The way "frankly speaking" is used in Korea is konglish and should be discouraged.

Some people do say things such as:

"Let me be frank with you." or
"Let me speak frankly ... " or
"Frankly, ... " etc.

"Frankly ... " is a good opener used to deliver difficult information or shocking news.

However, in the US it is common for the word "frankly" to be followed by a pack of lies.
optik404

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've said, "I need to take a rest.", while playing sports or working out. Maybe I just said I need to rest.
alongway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question seems to pop up every year from the less worldly crop of new teachers on various forums and blogs.

Some of these phrases are regional. Where I grew up, I frequently heard my parents and grandparents use the phrase "take a rest" in many situations.

You have to realize English education has been going on here since the late 1800's and they've had all kinds of dialects come through here. They don't always update text books and lessons with current common phrases and slang.

Frankly speaking certainly sounds like an older phrase, but it could still be in use as reporter, and probably found its way into a textbook somewhere.
Chaucer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Other Reply with quote

I hear these two all the time when students are "listening to" my classes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: