Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs for couples

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever1000

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Jobs for couples Reply with quote

Hello everyone

I have been reading this forum quite a bit, and would like to ask for some suggestions on what my partner and I should do for teaching in Korea.

We would like to teach in public schools (EPIK or GEPIK) but what I've read is that public schools will only supply a single apartment, and not an apartment for couples unless the couple is married. We are not married so we are faced with this dilemma.

Can anyone speak to their own experience applying as a couple? What are our options?

We don't mind if we are not in the same school, but we would prefer if we could somehow share an apartment close to both our schools.

We will consider private schools if we are not accepted into public schools.
timhorton

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a university ad recently requesting couples apply. That is not common. It was in Suwon.Suwon University?
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should know that with EPIK, actual placement (where each of you will work) is not under your control. You guys could theoretically end up in different cities.
stever1000

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
You should know that with EPIK, actual placement (where each of you will work) is not under your control. You guys could theoretically end up in different cities.

Is there a better chance with EPIK vs GEPIK or is it the same? EPIK seems to ask for more information in the application
Lucas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hello everyone

I have been reading this forum quite a bit, and would like to ask for some suggestions on what my partner and I should do for teaching in Korea.

We would like to teach in public schools (EPIK or GEPIK) but what I've read is that public schools will only supply a single apartment, and not an apartment for couples unless the couple is married. We are not married so we are faced with this dilemma.

Can anyone speak to their own experience applying as a couple? What are our options?

We don't mind if we are not in the same school, but we would prefer if we could somehow share an apartment close to both our schools.

We will consider private schools if we are not accepted into public schools.

The EPIK contract states something along the lines of 'couples housing will ONLY be provided for married couples now'......It changed a year or two ago.

Even if your recruiter 'promises' that you will be in the same town or city, this will not be 100% for sure until you have the week�s orientation during the first week or so.

There is a possibility, the guy/woman who places you (education official) is a religion nut who believes that you are living in sin and decides to separate said couple by over a hours commute......

This has happened before... Exclamation
stever1000

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so maybe GEPIK is the best option? Or are they strict like that too?
I'd prefer public schools, but if that means my partner and I won't be together then maybe private school is the only option??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: