Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taking a trip after contract?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kavuo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Taking a trip after contract? Reply with quote

Hey, I've decided to not renew for another year and was wondering if anyone has any experience with taking a trip after their contract ends.

Here's my situation, I'm a GEPIK teacher and my ARC expires 30 days after my contract ends. So I've been toying with the idea of backpacking to a few countries after my contract ends and then come back and leave Korea a couple of days before ARC expires.

my questions is:

Would immigration have problem with me staying in the country after my contract ends even though my ARC is still valid?

thanks
YTMND

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not going to teach in Korea anymore after this year is up? Why don't you just hand in the ARC and then go directly home after your travels? Why do you feel you need to go back to Korea? You can hand in your ARC anytime.

Are there any other obligations you feel you need to address? If you are worried about things like final salary, severance pay, or pension money you could just enter on a tourist visa.

The other option if you want to work again is to change it to a D-10. Otherwise, you don't need it.

Also, you'll need to check up on the countries you want to visit. China for example doesn't give tourist visas (L visa) upon entry. You have to apply and there are certain rules. One that might apply is that you need 6 months on your ARC http://sohoholiday.com/soho/visa-information/
bluethree

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weirdly enough i tried doing something similar and got a bit of grief for it. i went to hong kong for a few days, mentioned to the officer at the airport that i was coming back even though my job ended (since she asked about that), and said that i should just hand it in. she let me keep it after all but i was surprised it was even an issue.

unless you plan on getting a d10 or transferring i would just hand it in...immigration's not going to care if you come back right away on a tourist stamp, especially if you're only staying a few days. i'm back on a tourist stamp now and they didn't even say anything to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: