Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting to the top of Halla Mountain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
decibalsrising

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Getting to the top of Halla Mountain Reply with quote

Hi guys, planning a trip to Jeju and just wondering how long the actual trek would be and the shortest/easiest route to get there?
Is there any cable car available to go up partly?

Looking for some helpful "dos and donts"

Thanks
Hugo85

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a map of the trails in the jeju tourist centers. There's 4 trails ranging from 1.2 km (I think) to 8.6 km with different starting points. I did the 8.6km in winter and it wasn't that hard, maybe 7.5 hours up and down because one of the member was on the bulky side of things. I reckon 5 hours for fit people.

Bring water and snacks, though they do sell cup ramen at the halfway mark. They also sell hiking gear at decent price at the base, albeit not in my size. I still bought spikes to get through snow slopes. This is for the 8.6km.

Don't show up for the long hike too late as you will need to be back down before the sun is down, if you start at noon they will turn you away at around midpoint probably.
laynamarya

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardest thing I've ever done, physically, but totally worth it.

It took us about nine hours, but I don't do tons of hiking. Regular hikers would probably do the round trip much faster. Also, you'll probably want to hang out at the top for a while and take pictures.

Both of my hiking companions were stung by bees, so, you know, watch out for that. Try not to smell like flowers. Wink
Drew345

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it a long time ago from a bus stop on the east side. It was really long and I couldn't do it. I have talked to others who did it by driving to a parking lot a lot closer and went up no problem. If you are thinking about doing it by bus, you might have a much better shot by doing it by driving yourself rather than by bus. This was about 15 years ago though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: