Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reeking of Desperation
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Off of the top of my head, I would have used Kimchi Jiggae instead of Bibimbop

Kimchi Chigae is bascially cabbage soup, which is the dish Charlie Chocolate factory had to eat every day because his parents were too poor to afford anything else. Not really something you'd choose to represent your nation, I'd have thought. Other countries with cabbage based national dishes (Poland and Russia for example) are generally laughed at for having awful cuisines. I like Korean food in general but it's quite difficult to market to the West because its appeal (for me anyway) lies in the variety of healthy, cheap side dishes and the style of eating - having a bit of everything. In my country (UK) people tend to go out for a meal on special occasions and want something expensive and usually rich.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squire wrote:
For me, Korea aggressively promotes some of their worst things. Food and music here are pretty bad, but their films are actually very good. Still, I meet adults who haven't seen some of the best Korean films (like Oldboy or The Good, The Bad and the Weird) because they're 'old'

Yes, some of Korea's best directors and artists aren't appreciated within Korea (becaues they are too "weird") yet highly regarded outside. Koreans sort of have a checklist of what "should" be good instead of appreciating what IS GOOD based on raw undeniable talent and results. Oldboy was great!

But I actually think K-pop is good. There are plenty of US based production guys who have worked on it doing mixes or whatnot who speak highly of the production value. Koreans have mastered a certain specific squeaky-clean-bubble-gum-pop sound thing, a lot of work goes into that. I don't listen to it, but it's very well done for what it is.

Edit: back on topic, I vote for soondooboo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: