Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

why is the word 'jacket' being treated as spam on the resume

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tremault

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: why is the word 'jacket' being treated as spam on the resume Reply with quote

I'm trying to submit my resume.
part of my resume is about my hobbies where I have crafted my own clothing, specifically a jacket. but the resume form will not allow me to use this word.
it is incredibly frustrating since there is no other word to describe the garment that I made and jacket is in no way an offensive word. why is it doing this and can it please be fixed?
12ax7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know which 'resume' you're talking about, but how about trying 'blazer' or 'coat'?
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering why you would put hobbies on your resume anyway. I don't know maybe it's the right thing to do. Smile
tremault

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
I'm wondering why you would put hobbies on your resume anyway. I don't know maybe it's the right thing to do. Smile

it's something I have always done. it seems pretty standard fare in the UK at least.
it let's prospective employers know what sort of a person you are, what drives you and therefore whether or not you are compatible with their organisation and their other team members.

12ax7, I did think about that, thanks for the suggestion. it's just that, a blazer in my mind does not have a zip and a coat is much heavier than a jacket.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outerwear? Seasonal Garment? Leisurewear? Outdoorwear? Casual attire? Business Casual attire? 'An intriguing melange of texture and functionality'? Expressions through the medium of suede?

There's gotta be something you can say.

Frankly, the failure to come up with alternative terms to describe something in your field of interest does not bode well for you.
tremault

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it bodes very well for me since it means I have a clear understanding of what jacket means and no other word is appropriate.
I could use the words "light wear for the upper body made out of pre-cut fabric with long sleeves and a zip". but anyone reading my resume will not be aware that the word jacket is being blocked and will think I am stupid.
I think that would put across a far worse message.

At the end of the day, if I were to think outerwear was a suitable synonym for jacket, then I would be in real trouble.

I am puzzled by your premise anyway.
There are plenty of things in the English language that have just one word.
for example the word 'English'.
geldedgoat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: why is the word 'jacket' being treated as spam on the re Reply with quote

tremault wrote:
I have crafted my own clothing

Is that not sufficient? Why the need to be more specific on a resume intended for a completely unrelated position? Am I incorrect in assuming this is for a teaching gig?
tremault

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: why is the word 'jacket' being treated as spam on the re Reply with quote

geldedgoat wrote:
tremault wrote:
I have crafted my own clothing

Is that not sufficient? Why the need to be more specific on a resume intended for a completely unrelated position? Am I incorrect in assuming this is for a teaching gig?

yes you are correct.
I appreciate your input. I did find a way to post my resume, don't get me wrong.
It just seems very very odd that the word 'jacket' is being highlighted as a spam term.

also, quite frustrating because the spam filter doesn't tell you which part of your resume is causing the issue.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually, it bodes very well for me since it means I have a clear understanding of what jacket means and no other word is appropriate.

Or suggests you have a limited vocabulary, lack creativity, and become obstinate and unimaginative in the face of obstacles.

You know, you could just query the company and ask them why they block the word "jacket", maybe talk to someone and ask to submit your resume through another service. Who knows? You might actually get someone in HR on the line and chat them up a little.

Quote:
At the end of the day, if I were to think outerwear was a suitable synonym for jacket, then I would be in real trouble.

While outerwear is not necessarily a jacket, a jacket is always outerwear. You made a jacket, therefore you made outerwear...
tremault

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

You know, you could just query the company and ask them why they block the word "jacket", maybe talk to someone and ask to submit your resume through another service. Who knows? You might actually get someone in HR on the line and chat them up a little.

That's what I'm doing. the 'company' is Daves ESL Cafe.

Yeah I know I could choose to be creative but it wouldn't achieve anything in this case. I feel like it is better to deal with this issue as it seems like something that could get in somebody else's way in the future.
When things can cause hassle for others as well as me, I prefer to deal with that thing rather than try and work around it and leave the issue in place.

I appreciate your concern for how this may effect my chances of finding a position, I feel this is actually beneficial for me. If any school or academy is reading this, it shows that I am responsible and thoughtful.
geldedgoat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tremault wrote:
That's what I'm doing. the 'company' is Daves ESL Cafe.

Whoa, you posted your resume to the general job board here? Free advice: take it down ASAP before your inbox is flooded (now and forever) with hordes of offers that you will absolutely not want to accept. Watch the job board, wait for a decent offer to appear (they do show up eventually), and contact the school directly. Otherwise, we'll see you back here in a few months desperately looking for a way out.

And doing things that way will let you toss the word 'jacket' in to your heart's content.
tremault

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh?
I appreciate it.
well I have had a few emails.
I'm pretty keen though, i pick up on little signals that warn of bad news.
also, i check back on here for any mention of the agency to see how well received they are.
and i want work asap, so i welcome the extra choice i may get.
geldedgoat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wish you the best of luck.

...but you can't say you haven't been warned. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: