Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tenant vs Landlord Responsibilities?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoneyMike

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Tenant vs Landlord Responsibilities? Reply with quote

So here's my situation:

I've been living in the same apartment for almost 3 and a half years now. Recently my boiler started going on the fritz, so I had my gf help me contact my landlord to see about getting it fixed. While she was talking to him, he asked if there were any more problems with my apartment. She told him that there was also a problem with the sink, but that I hadn't complained about it. (It didn't really bother me at all)

Anyways, the boiler got fixed, and the landlord had new taps put onto the bathroom sink/shower, fixing the problem with it. He popped by my apartment a day later, however, and told me that I should pay for the replacement taps, and that it cost 100k won. I played it off like I didn't understand what he wanted, (I was reasonably sure, but my Korean's not great so I wasn't positive) and talked to my gf later about it. She's since talked to him and he is maintaining that since I've lived there for over 2 years, I should be responsible for paying for that. Now that's obviously a bs reason.

The sink fixing was done with no consultation to me. (Meaning he didn't suggest that I should pay for it until after)

Anyways, I'm going to meet him tomorrow morning some time with my gf there to translate, and my plan is to basically tell him there's no way in hell I'm paying for the sink. (I'll be polite about it, but it ain't happening)

A few more details that might be relevant. I pay 15k a month in 'maintenance fees' to the landlord, and this is the first time in 3 and a half years that I've had to get anything fixed or replaced.

So I'm in the right here, correct? My gf tells me that as far as she knows for a monthly renter like me the landlord is supposed to be responsible for all maintenance.

Any input is appreciated.
thurst

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends on what exactly what was wrong with the taps and if they were new when you moved in

honestly, i think your gf dropped the ball (on your behalf) when complaining to him by not making sure that you were covered.
MoneyMike

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what does that mean exactly? And are you speaking from knowledge of the law in regards to something like this?

Like, if there's one problem with the tap I'd have to pay to fix it, but if it's another problem it's his responsibility? That doesn't sound right.

If it's at all relevant, the part of the sink that the water drains out of on the bottom was busted, so it couldn't be closed. Also, the water was permanently set to shower, and couldn't be set to the faucet. As I always wash my hands in the kitchen sink and never use the faucet, I didn't really care about it being fixed.

It definitely wasn't new when I moved in 3 years ago, but at that point it had all been working.
Lucas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you paid a large deposit for the house (Jeonse) 전세 - if so it is your responsibility to have things fixed.

If you pay monthly rent then I believe it's the land lords responsibility - I'm sure some more enlightened folks will give you more and better info than me though Laughing
MoneyMike

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, stupid me, I guess I forgot to mention. I didn't pay jeonsae, I'm just a monthly renter.
Lucas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I've not seen the contract you signed - I�d maybe bet that there is a part that say's something along the lines of;

'Landlord will be responsible for all payments .....................blah blah

Tenant will be responsible for payments where reasonable wear and tear has taken place?'

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If is does I'd say the guy is within his rights to ask/make you pay to have that repair done.......

This is all a side issue anyway because I guess you gave him a bit of a deposit anyway didn't you? - say 300,000 or so......?

He'l ljust take it from that anyway! Rolling Eyes
MoneyMike

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, further posting more information that I should've included.

I'm in EPIK supplied housing. I've paid no deposit, and I've never seen any tenancy agreement, so to be honest I have no idea what's in it.
newb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoneyMike wrote:
Oh, further posting more information that I should've included.

I'm in EPIK supplied housing. I've paid no deposit, and I've never seen any tenancy agreement, so to be honest I have no idea what's in it.

Then you should've let your school handle it.
thurst

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoneyMike wrote:
So what does that mean exactly? And are you speaking from knowledge of the law in regards to something like this?

Like, if there's one problem with the tap I'd have to pay to fix it, but if it's another problem it's his responsibility? That doesn't sound right.

If it's at all relevant, the part of the sink that the water drains out of on the bottom was busted, so it couldn't be closed. Also, the water was permanently set to shower, and couldn't be set to the faucet. As I always wash my hands in the kitchen sink and never use the faucet, I didn't really care about it being fixed.

It definitely wasn't new when I moved in 3 years ago, but at that point it had all been working.

if it's something that you broke then you'd have to fix it...if it's just wear and tear then it's dependent on your arrangement.

by law the landlord is entitled to charge you for anything that isn't the same as it was when you moved in.
schwa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The landlord pays for a busted plumbing system*, but the tenant pays for busted taps, toilet tank problems, etc. Likewise the landlord pays for a faulty electrical system, but the tenant pays for light fixtures, etc, that happen to die.

Thats the customary standard that Korean tenants abide by. I've lived in several apartments & thats been exactly my experience too.

[*unless you let it freeze up in winter]
Lazio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucas wrote:
Have you paid a large deposit for the house (Jeonse) 전세 - if so it is your responsibility to have things fixed.

Not entirely.
If something is faulty and it is basic necessity for living (heating, water, electricity, windows, doors, water leak through the roof etc.) and the tenant didn�t cause the damage than the landlord should restore to its original condition. It doesn�t really matter if it�s monthly rent or lump sum deposit.
We got our boiler replaced by the landlord and although it was fairly old it still worked properly. We live in Jeonse.
jdog2050

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that landlords were responsible for the infrastructure of a dwelling, but not the parts of that infrastructure that are directly used by the tenant. I.e., the landlord takes care of pipes, but not the toilet clogging, etc.
Seon-bee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having lived in the same place for a long time, I've always fixed these type of problems myself or had someone come fix it for me, that includes bathroom sink pipes and trap. I recall only paying about 45,000 for a guy to come over and replace them. They weren't high quality though.

But my point is, sometimes in life you gotta man up and take care of stuff like wear and tear on your own. I feel better about myself taking care of my housing issues, by passing the owner all together, even if I could've manipulated the owner/school to pay for it.

Somewhat unrelated, there's nothing worse than some petty foreigners pinching pennies to replace a damn light bulb on their own (not talking about the OP here at all). Good job getting the boiler taken care of though.
Hootsmon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've been a bit unlucky with the landlord there. I've twice rented places for two years or over, and both times the landlord took care of all repairs. My first place didn't have many problems, just something with the aircon, but my current place has had lots of problems and lots of changes - changed the lock to an electronic lock, completely replaced the boiler and thermostat, cleaned out the heating pipes, replaced the toilet seat, redid the sealant in the bathroom... all of these were taken care of/paid for by the landlord.

Unfortuanately, I can't help you with the legality of it...I know the laws back home but not here exactly.

I don't think you did anything wrong...though now I think about it, in my first place I did have a problem with the tap and replaced it myself. I think if your landlord has been good to you apart from this, you might as well just pay it and keep life easy. Maintaince fees are usually for little things like cleaning stairs or whatever, not for this stuff.
MoneyMike

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'll probably end up just paying it. It's not having to pay for the repairs that bothers me, but just the way it was done. Him doing it then showing up asking for money, it just seemed really obnoxious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: