Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why do Korean crosswalks even exist?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smithington

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Why do Korean crosswalks even exist? Reply with quote

Honestly, why put white stripes across thousands of roads throughout the peninsula if they are to be ignored? Think of the money and manpower involved in putting down crosswalks. Every time I use a crosswalk (that is when it's not blocked by a car parked on it) I feel like I'm risking my life. I have cars fly up to me while I'm crossing and stopping mere feet from me. I've also had many cases where cars won't even stop even though I'm in the middle of crossing. They honk and fly past in front of me. Others stop only with the greatest of reluctance and resentment.

Honestly, if they aren't going to serve the function for which they are intended, why even bother putting them down?
JustinC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with Korean laws, what are their intended use? I thought it was to provided easier cleaning (a painted surface) of blood?
newb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea has different crosswalk law then in the US.

In the US, driver has the 100% burden or responsiblity because pedestrians have the right of the way when crossing the cross walk. The drivers MUST stop when a pedestrian steps into the crosswalk. But in Korea, car has the right of the way and pedestrian shares the responsibility to look the both way before stepping into the crosswalk to cross. So be very careful and never think you have the right of the way when crossing the crosswalk in Korea.
giraffe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you live in Korea?

I live in Daejeon and I dont find drivers That bad and the majority follow the rules. Some do as you describe but its not exactly common place.. At least I dont think so here in Daejeon. Lots of illegal parking but what do you expect in a place that has too many cars and not enough parking?

That being said.. Why stop at crosswalks? many koreans ignore korean road signs and light signals. Might as well get rid of those too =).
mnjetter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that you can sue the pants off anybody who hits you with their car for the whole blood money thing. Drivers in Seoul, I've noticed, are generally pretty cautious, so I always figured there was something to it.
highstreet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6b6_1352573803
newb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6b6_1352573803

Good one. That taxi driver qualifies for F1 race car driver. Laughing
PaperTiger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're reserved parking for imbeciles.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newb wrote:

In the US, driver has the 100% burden or responsiblity because pedestrians have the right of the way when crossing the cross walk. The drivers MUST stop when a pedestrian steps into the crosswalk. But in Korea, car has the right of the way and pedestrian shares the responsibility to look the both way before stepping into the crosswalk to cross. So be very careful and never think you have the right of the way when crossing the crosswalk in Korea.

I'm curious - where are you getting this from?

For those of us that have been here for a while, you may remember the "crack down" of 2004 (?) for drivers stopping before the line - didn't last all that long. Crying or Very sad
highstreet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newb wrote:

Don't know if what you said is correct, but I've heard that when a car hits a person, the car is 100% at fault. Regardless of the situation. I think in Korea, anytime a larger objects comes into contact with a smaller object, the larger object is at fault. Car hits cyclist = car at fault. Cyclist hits pedestrian = cyclist at fault.
lemak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koreans love their cosmetics. I'd always just assumed the zebra crossings to be road make up.
timhorton

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
newb wrote:

For those of us that have been here for a while, you may remember the "crack down" of 2004 (?) for drivers stopping before the line - didn't last all that long. Crying or Very sad

It doesn't matter where he is getting it from. It is easily seen on a daily basis all over. Crosswalks and many other forms of pedestrian safety are merely decorations. Treat them as such and you stand a better chance of making it in one piece from point A to B. Korea Pedestrian Safety = Oxymoron!
timhorton

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemak wrote:
Koreans love their cosmetics. I'd always just assumed the zebra crossings to be road make up.

Laughing

or to resemble the piano that mina and minsoo are forced to play!
CentralCali

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
Don't know if what you said is correct, but I've heard that when a car hits a person, the car is 100% at fault. Regardless of the situation. I think in Korea, anytime a larger objects comes into contact with a smaller object, the larger object is at fault. Car hits cyclist = car at fault. Cyclist hits pedestrian = cyclist at fault.

Totally incorrect. Saw a kid and her friend jaywalk on a major street in Bucheon and one of the kids got hit by a car, but not fatally. The coppers told the driver that he was absolutely not at fault; the accident was 100% the kids' fault. Now, the insurance company may have had a different idea about the issue, but the law sided with the driver so no prosecution. Note that in this case, the driver was (a) not foreign, (b) not in the military, and (c) not driving a military vehicle.
newb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
newb wrote:

I got this from a Korean TV program where they showed various situations and accidents and a lawyer explained each cases as to who bares what percentage of responsibility. I should clarify that what I said only applies to crosswalks without the pedestrian traffic light.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: