Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why do Korean crosswalks even exist?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CentralCali

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sendittheemail wrote:
According to the US State department ROK Advisory page, you should be looking for under and overpass bridges, as crosswalks are not safe for human usage in Korea:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1018.html#traffic_safety

I'm still wondering why the pedestrian overpass near Busanjin Subway Station was removed and replaced with, you guessed it, a "zebra" crossing. That's kind of a wide road to be doing the "X Marks the Pedwalk Shuffle".
Scorpion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always believed that you can tell a great deal about a culture, and what it values, by the way its citizens drive. Unfortunately, what Korean driving habits reveal about Korea and its values isn't very flattering.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sendittheemail wrote:
According to the US State department ROK Advisory page, you should be looking for under and overpass bridges, as crosswalks are not safe for human usage in Korea:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1018.html#traffic_safety

I assume you are referring to this quote from them?

Quote:
It is safer to use pedestrian underpasses and overpasses where available.

So no they are not saying what you claim they are saying at all.

Saying that pedestrian underpasses and overpasses are safer is not the same as saying the crosswalks are not safe for human usage.

Last edited by TheUrbanMyth on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
I've always believed that you can tell a great deal about a culture, and what it values, by the way its citizens drive. Unfortunately, what Korean driving habits reveal about Korea and its values isn't very flattering.

That's the most moronic thing I've ever heard. Nazi Germany had autobahns and nice traffic. Great culture and values there. India during its liberation movement had anarchic traffic, yet gained its democracy through non-violent non-cooperation.

You can tell a lot about a person based upon the off-the-wall criteria they use to try and judge criteria and how well they think it through.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Scorpion wrote:

That's the most moronic thing I've ever heard. Nazi Germany had autobahns and nice traffic. Great culture and values there. India during its liberation movement had anarchic traffic, yet gained its democracy through non-violent non-cooperation.

You can tell a lot about a person based upon the off-the-wall criteria they use to try and judge criteria and how well they think it through.

I agree with this. It's one thing to state a subjective opinion. It's quite another to treat it as a fact and draw conclusions from it.
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:

Look, we get it, you hate Korea. Can you at least stick to somewhat plausible reality?
highstreet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:

you're crazy man, I like you, but you're crazy
Scorpion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, pulleeaasse. If you can't see the connection between Korean driving culture and the larger culture you are either a) blind b) ideologically obsessed with defending Korea at all costs or c) a newb still in the honeymoon period.
atwood

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
Oh, pulleeaasse. If you can't see the connection between Korean driving culture and the larger culture you are either a) blind b) ideologically obsessed with defending Korea at all costs or c) a newb still in the honeymoon period.

Of course there's a connection, but you're hijacking the thread, just like all those Korean drivers running the red, getting stuck in the intersection, and blocking oncoming traffic.
crescent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Scorpion wrote:

Yes, well you've managed to illustrate that quite clearly here, SR. Autobahns were conceived and begun in the 1920s, well before the Nazi party had influence. And, Nazi Germany had 'nice traffic', huh? Exactly what resources show how 'nice' the traffic was in Nazi Germany?

India's Independence Movement was largely political, not a reflection on refining traffic and road safety. Of course politics is intertwined with culture but you're citing a political movement as if it were a cultural movement.

There are obvious parallels between driving culture and national culture as a whole.
http://www.aaafoundation.org/pdf/MoeckliLee.pdf
http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news/dangerous-driving-is-rooted-in-uae-culture-poll-suggests
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nearly got hit by a car today when I was coming home from work on my bike. I managed to break in time. The car tried to drive off but got stuck in traffic so I gave it a nudge with my bike (pedal bike). The woman got out of the car and was very apologetic. The fact that she was so apologetic made me a lot calmer. I accepted the apology and went on my way, as did she.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoulman69 wrote:
I nearly got hit by a car today when I was coming home from work on my bike. I managed to break in time. The car tried to drive off but got stuck in traffic so I gave it a nudge with my bike (pedal bike). The woman got out of the car and was very apologetic. The fact that she was so apologetic made me a lot calmer. I accepted the apology and went on my way, as did she.

Unfortunately her driving style won't change one iota. You called her out and she was embarrassed. To defuse the situation she apologized. Will she adjust her driving behavior in the future? Not one bit.
atwood

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
Seoulman69 wrote:

Unfortunately her driving style won't change one iota. You called her out and she was embarrassed. To defuse the situation she apologized. Will she adjust her driving behavior in the future? Not one bit.

More than likely you're right. I can imagine a Korean driver running over a pedestrian, dragging them for 50 meters or so, and then just driving off with their flashers on--"I'm sorry, I'm sorry..." and never giving the incident a second thought.
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
Seoulman69 wrote:

I assume because she is Korean and thus it is impossible for her to show learning, compassion, understanding or self-reflection? Or are you going to change the record and blame it on her being a woman?
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
ideologically obsessed with defending Korea at all costs.

What's the opposite of this, by the way?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: