Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why do Korean crosswalks even exist?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scorpion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taylormade wrote:
Wouldn't it be better to teach their children to use the crosswalk, and lobby politicians and the police to enforce traffic laws (at least in school zones).

Would these be the same parents who, when the government passed a law requiring that all children wear seatbelts, lobbied against it until the law was overturned.?

The mind boggles.
fermentation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then there are the people who try to pass when the light turns green before the pedestrians cross. Had a taxi driver stop inches away from hitting me last night.

ModEdit
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I rarely see people running red lights at crosswalks when there are people crossing

Take a look at all the people posting about this happening. It's time to start believing.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:
fustiancorduroy wrote:
I can say that Korean drivers can be fairly aggressive, but I rarely see people running red lights at crosswalks when there are people crossing,

Surely you jest. I see it all the time - frequently even when I'm using the crosswalk. I even see it when my young students are crossing he road in front of their elementary school.

It's good for the little ones, builds alertness and dexterity.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fustiancorduroy wrote:
I must also add that in my more than six years of living here, I have not even come close to being hit by a car when I'm using a crosswalk.

That's interesting, now that I think about it...neither have I, not even once that feeling of "wohh is that dude going to stop!?". Yes I see them blow thru red lights all the time yet I'm never anywhere near.

But come on let's talk about China, sheesh feel like I might get killed from the second I step out the freakin' door. When you think about it, China might be breeding for reflexes. The slow die off, the quick survive and breed. Dudes are goona be FAST in 1000 years.
hollakris

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koreans who immigrate to the states and starts driving receives negative criticism, and tickets. Its funny Korean immigrants dont continue this driving behavior until they learn and realize their gonna be penalized.
Driving behavior is no different from the people in the subway cutting, rushing, not thinking about others. About the poster who said it has something to do with their confucious attitude and behavior i think this has to be part of the problem.
Im not trying to negative about Korea but this is horrible. If I see someone trying to get in the subway before i get out, I charge out like a bull in front of them.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like to be a jerk on Friday, but you guys are like total...wait for it...NEWBIES! Shocked

The thing I aways say about exploring other cultures; you can't understand the local culture thru the lense of your home culture, you need to understand the local culture thru it's own lense.

This is made more difficult for people by a concept known as American Exceptionalism; an odd sort of belief that "our way is somehow superior and you guys suck until you do what we did". Even when "what we did" has proven to suck.

So many posts on Dave's beat on this dead horse.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then, you'll have to read posts on Dave's with a Dave's lense, won't you? Wink

I know what you mean tho.
atwood

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
I don't like to be a jerk on Friday, but you guys are like total...wait for it...NEWBIES! Shocked

The thing I aways say about exploring other cultures; you can't understand the local culture thru the lense of your home culture, you need to understand the local culture thru it's own lense.

This is made more difficult for people by a concept known as American Exceptionalism; an odd sort of belief that "our way is somehow superior and you guys suck until you do what we did". Even when "what we did" has proven to suck.

That must be the apology lens. I prefer the objective lens.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:

You do realize an objective lens merely states facts, it doesn't offer opinions or judgments, right?
Old fat expat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realize an objective lens merely believes it states facts, it doesn't separate opinions from judgments unless it can step outside its own believe system, right?

ha ha!
atwood

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
atwood wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:

You do realize an objective lens merely states facts, it doesn't offer opinions or judgments, right?

No modedit sherlock. It analyzes and discriminates.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys really think that in every one of your Korea bash posts you are seeing things through an objective lens?
atwood

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Do you guys really think that in every one of your Korea bash posts you are seeing things through an objective lens?

You're the one being subjective by labeling other posts as bashing. Makes it easy for you to dismiss thinking that opposes your opinions.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

You're the one being subjective by labeling other posts as bashing. Makes it easy for you to dismiss thinking that opposes your opinions.

Fine, do you believe your posts are always objective?

You do realize there is a difference between objective and critical, right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: