Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

D2 visa for language studies?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kwon-Oumi

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: D2 visa for language studies? Reply with quote

Can i get the D2 visa even if i'm applying for the korean language course? i m willing to enroll in the univesity next year , can't i do something to get the D2 visa instead of D4 (for this year)?
Thank u
coralreefer_1

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew a guy who did this. He entered my grad school department straight on a D2..and was taking supplementary Korean courses in the afternoon.

That said, he had done a semester in Korea as part of an exchange program with his university in the US before graduating there..so there may have been some special consideration there.

Otherwise...you dont need to study Korean on a D4 IF your Korean level is at a point that you qualify to enter the university. Every university is different, but on average you will need to show at least a level 4 TOIK ability to enter a university (sports departments often only require level 3....other departments such as law MAY require as high as 5)
Kwon-Oumi

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for those informations Very Happy

but even if i study it hard this summer vacation (online) i won't reach lvl 4 Sad i barely know how to greet,expressions to take a taxi, command in a restaurant .. and form short sentences --> i can pass directly to lvl 2 but not 3 or 4 :/
in addition to that i'm studying medecine here and i wanna change it to design, and i don't think that there is a design college in Morocco who will allow me exchange with a korean university.
and i manage live there for a long time and i have to find a job (logic right? Very Happy ) whitch is difficult if i don't say impossible to find with a D4 visa
coralreefer_1

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing you can really do is talk to some schools and see what they have to say. Even at level 2...you may still be admitted to the university on a D2 visa and take supplementary Korean courses alongside regular course studies (most students simply take elective courses their first year anyway)

The policy of admitting you into the university with whatever level of Korean you have is a university decision...not immigration. If the university wants you, they will issue you the documents needed to get the D2..immigration has no concern over your Korean ability.

Even if you were issued a D4 visa, if your level is already at level 2..you would only need perhaps 6 months of Korean study to get to a point you could pass a test to enter the university. I have mentioned it here before, but when a foreign student studies Korean at a university they wish to enter eventually as a regular undergrad/grad student, they take a "university administered" exam...not an official TOPIK exam.

What that means is...the grading of that exam is much less stringent as universities tend to make it easier for students who have spent time (read...money) in their university to study Korean to enter. If you were to perhaps study Korean at university "X"..but then decide to enter university "Y" for degree seeking courses, you will most likely have to take the "official" TOPIK exam.

Concerning getting a job...you wouldnt be on D4 long enough to qualify anyway. Regardless of D2 or D4...you will have to have the visa for at least 6 months before you could legally work with permission from immigration. I am not sure as I havent been on a D4 in several years, that time rolls over to the D4 IF you do not leave the country between visas.

For example...say you got the D4 and had it for 5 months..then went straight into D2. In that case assuming there was no break in your studies, you would only need to hold the D2 for another month to have accumulated 6 months required to work.
javis

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on D-2 visa status during my first trip to Korea, because I was enrolled as an exchange student in the main division at a Korean university, although I took mainly Korean language classes.

Or maybe that's just how I remember it because those are the classes I actually attended... Oh well, it was so long ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: