Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

World Cup 2014 Qualification
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hogwonguy1979 wrote:
you realize if it wasn't for Uzbekistan scoring an own goal in that game here in Seoul, Korea would now be in the 3rd place playoff with the odds highly stacked against them to make it (oh and don't forget sneaking the point out in Lebanon in the 97th minute and the winner against Oman in the 89th)

This team has been absolutely awful in qualifying against some true minnows

I agree, this K-team does not look as good as previous teams.
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hogwonguy1979 wrote:
you realize if it wasn't for Uzbekistan scoring an own goal in that game here in Seoul, Korea would now be in the 3rd place playoff with the odds highly stacked against them to make it (oh and don't forget sneaking the point out in Lebanon in the 97th minute and the winner against Oman in the 89th)

Buddy of mine says its because the coach has a hard-on for supporting the domestic league, and so has been limiting the game time of players playing in overseas leagues. Ki Song-Yeung, for example, didn't play at all in the Uzbeki game.
wylies99

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transmogrifier wrote:
hogwonguy1979 wrote:

Buddy of mine says its because the coach has a hard-on for supporting the domestic league, and so has been limiting the game time of players playing in overseas leagues. Ki Song-Yeung, for example, didn't play at all in the Uzbeki game.

The best players are playing overseas, especially on offense.
saram_

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the coach has quit and the guy who was in charge of their Olympic team looks sets to take over..

They played some great football then.
Hopefully they can up it.
A World Cup is a bit unpredictable so who knows what could happen with some organization and a bit of luck..

As of now it looks like they ll just have 3 games in the WC but stranger things have happened. They need a lift. The problem for korea has been their inability to score many goals.
The new coach will have a huge job trying to get things flowing again but I wouldn't completely write off their chances of making the knockout stages from whichever (more difficult now) group they end up in..
Yaya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The World Cup can be unpredictable but I'm thinking Korea's team for Brazil next year will be a far cry from previous squads. No player has really stood out and interest in the national team in Korea has taken a dive.

I'm thinking that the next coach, Hong Myung-bo, doesn't have the experience needed to do much next year. He did OK with the Olympic team but the learning curve shoots up when in charge of the national squad.

And I agree that Korea's problem is scoring. The players are as fit as can be and getting the ball toward the opponent's goal is a cinch, but getting it past the net is a chronic problem for Korea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: