Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FINALLY got Netflix on my non-rooted Android phone in Korea.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JustinC



Joined: 10 Mar 2012
Location: We Are The World!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is of interest to me. I already have an Android phone but never was really interested in using it for tv, but I recently got a Nexus 7.

Previously, I would've downloaded some media to my 600gb laptop hard drive or tb external, and watched while at my desk or sat on the sofa whilst it was plugged into the widescreen tv (or copied to a dvd and watched). Actually I can still do that.

Now I have 32gb (really only 28gb) available and the Nexus doesn't play all formats so, often, I need to convert the movie.

But, I can now stream pretty much anything using the sign in of family back home.

Either way is free to me, except the VPN of free Hotspot Shield is ... spotty.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
alongway



Joined: 02 Jan 2012

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vlc or moboplayer should be able to play anything you download with it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Swampfox10mm



Joined: 24 Mar 2011

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use VLC on my phone. It plays more than the internal player, but on some things, it's choppy or drops a few frames. Depends on the format. Seems the formats it is choppy on are the ones that work on the internal android player anyway, so it's no biggie.

StrongVPN isn't expensive, and for a year, it's worth it. Very reliable. I only had one problem, and they made a switch for me to fix it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Adam Carolla



Joined: 26 Feb 2010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
Again: The money you are spending is going back to companies who do not want to sell you to via that service. You're going out of your way to give money to companies that don't want it.


Switching goalposts. Your original claim was:

"So essentially you guys are going out of your way and paying extra for the privilege of paying a company that doesn't want your money anyway?"

Company. Not companies. You were clearly referring to Netflix. You've now changed your argument to refer to the movie studios. And even this is dumb for reasons I'll make clear later.

alongway wrote:
Yes, you can order DVDs off amazon, have you not heard of the DVD region system? they also don't want to sell you those DVDs if they can help it, because if they actually made the DVD available in Korea, they'd want to charge you a different price for it.


That's not even remotely what I claimed. Shall we look at the tape?

Adam Carolla wrote:
This is particularly true with streaming, DVD's, blu-ray, and digital content. This really shouldn't be news to you. Did you know that you can't order many games and movies from Amazon if you live in Korea.


Clearly, the implication, probably a little to subtle for you to follow, was that you can order SOME games and movies from Amazon. Just not ALL. Because, you know, rights issues.


alongway wrote:
if you like we could probably arrange to get a picture drawn for you..


alongway wrote:
Either way the end result is that they don't want to legally sell you the content,


Here's picture for you. I'll draw it with words, which means, unfortunately, you probably won't be able to see it. There are such things as rights issues. These are like, complicated and stuff. These rights issues also affect the ability of a company to do business in certain areas of the world. They also affect the profitability of these companies to do business in certain areas of the world.

This is why Netflix and Amazon don't offer streaming in Korea. Arguing that they don't want your money is juvenile. They're big companies. Not only do they want your money, they want all of it. But they'll take what they can get if it's profitable for them to do so. That you don't understand this most basic of business principles is a bit sad, because I'm sure I could explain it to a dog, and the dog would get it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
alongway



Joined: 02 Jan 2012

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Company. Not companies. You were clearly referring to Netflix. You've now changed your argument to refer to the movie studios. And even this is dumb for reasons I'll make clear later.

You make a lot of assumptions which more or less knee-caps the rest of your argument. No, I was referring to the whole package, all the way along, Netflix, the movie studios, etc.
The movie studios need netflix as much as netflix needs them. It's a symbiotic relationship. Netflix has just as much influence to push them to release their products world wide as they do to deny it. Sure they could deny it, and netflix could drop them if they wanted, right now they're kind of a big fish in this whole game.

Again, rights issues are artificially created by the studios, full stop.

Your money goes back to those studios in the end.

Do you not get that?
Whatever you pay every month, some of that goes back to those studios. Those studios which artificially created the rights issues that prevent Netflix from legally streaming that content to you. You are supporting that, and doing so by paying extra for a VPN service to do it. Do you think Netflix gets to keep 100% of what you pay them? That the studios are just giving them that content out of the goodness of their hearts?

Yes, Netflix takes some of that many as profit, but they have to pay the studios for what you watch.

There is no way to spin that. You are paying more for the privilege of paying a company (or companies, depending on what you watch, if you watch all the same content from 1 studio it's just 1, but that's a hard concept for you to follow), that has artificially created a restriction that prevents you from getting that content in the first place.

The rights issues are purely on the studios. If I create a movie right now, I have the world wide rights. The only reason I wouldn't would be if I decided to start making deals with distributors overseas which precluded me from directly selling my content to various countries and markets because I didn't want to be bothered with it. It's extremely likely that this scenario is a result of old deals made years ago when the internet wasn't popular, when there were no streaming services and movie studios needed local distributors in other countries to get their product out there. That's no longer the case, but the studios don't have the motivation or stones to fix these broken deals and allow streaming countries to open up world wide, most likely because they want to be able to control prices on a per-market basis, but that seems to be turning around and biting them in places like Australia.

They made the scenario, they are denying you the service, but you're paying extra to get your cash to them. But please, spin on...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Adam Carolla



Joined: 26 Feb 2010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
Quote:
Company. Not companies. You were clearly referring to Netflix. You've now changed your argument to refer to the movie studios. And even this is dumb for reasons I'll make clear later.

You make a lot of assumptions which more or less knee-caps the rest of your argument.


Again, let's check the tape. (And may I refer you to the topic of this thread)

alongway wrote:
So essentially you guys are going out of your way and paying extra for the privilege of paying a company that doesn't want your money anyway?


The topic, up to the point on page one where you responded, was....wait for it...Netflix. What assumption am I making here? That you're competent to write a sentence? Trust me, it's an assumption I won't make again.

Let's take a look at your next post:

alongway wrote:
Are you not going out of your way and paying extra to pay more to access a service that doesn't want your business?
If they wanted your business they wouldn't make you jump through all these hoops to access them.


So, when you say "a service" you're not referring to Netflix, but to "the whole package, all the way along, Netflix, the movie studios, etc. "

That's curious. A normal person wouldn't refer to that as a service. Not if they had the slightest idea what the hell they were talking about anyway.

alongway wrote:
The movie studios need netflix as much as netflix needs them. It's a symbiotic relationship. Netflix has just as much influence to push them to release their products world wide as they do to deny it.


Now you've just gone completely off the map. Netflix is an *extremely* small fish in a very big pond. The companies that own the major studios are worth, collectively, hundreds of billions of dollars. They don't need Netflix. I bet you didn't realize that Amazon Streaming has most of what Netflix carries did you? So, the major movie studios can just replace Netflix with Amazon any time they feel it's in their best interest to do so. The idea that Netflix is on equal footing with companies many times its size is ridiculous.

alongway wrote:
Again, rights issues are artificially created by the studios, full stop.


And your point is??? Netflix didn't create the nightmare of DRM that the rights issues are. The studios did. You seem to be very confused on this issue.

alongway wrote:
They made the scenario, they are denying you the service, but you're paying extra to get your cash to them. But please, spin on...


What "they"? The studios? You started this thread on a diatribe against Netflix. Do you know the meaning of the phrase "shifting the goalposts?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
alongway



Joined: 02 Jan 2012

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What "they"? The studios? You started this thread on a diatribe against Netflix. Do you know the meaning of the phrase "shifting the goalposts?"

They're part of the same package.
The money you spend goes to Netflix and then goes on to the studios.
You can't separate them. You can't give money to only netflix. The studios are part of that "business". I don't know if you have an ESL issue or what it is, but the desperate attempts to try and ignore the the point that you're giving money to studios who artificially created the barrier to your using the service is just comical at this point. That's the only point that really matters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Adam Carolla



Joined: 26 Feb 2010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
Quote:
What "they"? The studios? You started this thread on a diatribe against Netflix. Do you know the meaning of the phrase "shifting the goalposts?"

Blah blah blah blah I can't support my insane position so I'll just make stuff up..


I accept that you have no idea what you are talking about, much like the rest of the people in this thread have already done. Walk away, or, even better, don't, and make yourself look even dumber than you already have.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
alongway



Joined: 02 Jan 2012

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam Carolla wrote:
alongway wrote:
Quote:
What "they"? The studios? You started this thread on a diatribe against Netflix. Do you know the meaning of the phrase "shifting the goalposts?"

Blah blah blah blah I can't support my insane position so I'll just make stuff up..


I accept that you have no idea what you are talking about, much like the rest of the people in this thread have already done. Walk away, or, even better, don't, and make yourself look even dumber than you already have.


I'm not the one giving money to companies who arbitrarily said I can't access their content by paying more for it. Please, continue to tell us how smart you are.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Adam Carolla



Joined: 26 Feb 2010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
Adam Carolla wrote:
alongway wrote:
Quote:
What "they"? The studios? You started this thread on a diatribe against Netflix. Do you know the meaning of the phrase "shifting the goalposts?"

Blah blah blah blah I can't support my insane position so I'll just make stuff up..


I accept that you have no idea what you are talking about, much like the rest of the people in this thread have already done. Walk away, or, even better, don't, and make yourself look even dumber than you already have.


I'm not the one giving money to companies who arbitrarily said I can't access their content by paying more for it. Please, continue to tell us how smart you are.


Look, you're nuts. It's ok. You have a hard-on against the movie industry. That's fine. You're confusing your hatred of the movie studios with your hatred of Netflix for some reason. All of this could have easily been communicated had you the verbal ability of a frog. Sadly, you don't. Keep coming at me, and I'll make you look even dumber. I actually look forward to it. Cheers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International