Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ravi Shankar is dead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
On the other hand

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Ravi Shankar is dead Reply with quote

Quote:
Sitar maestro Pandit Ravi Shankar passed away in San Diego, the Ravi Shankar Foundation announced on Tuesday. He was 92.

The legendary musician and composer had suffered from upper-respiratory and heart issues over the past year and underwent heart-valve replacement surgery last Thursday. Though the surgery was successful, recovery proved too difficult for musician, the foundation said in a press release.

Too epansive a life to encapsulate in this post. I mostly knew him for his influence on the Beatles, via George Harrison. I'm not really qualified to judge his style of sitar-playing, though it sounded good enough to my untutored ears.

I think I had forgotten that he did the music for Gandhi. Amazing that he was in he running for a Grammy next year.

link
rollo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

portrait of a genius is an amazing album. Bless the beatles for bringing this fantastic artist to the West. His daughter is also an accomplished musician. He lived a long and good life.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the late fall of '67 I went down to Denver and suffered through a painful supper with Alice's family before we went to a Shankar concert. [Why do interesting chicks always have to come glued to a conservative family? That's a rhetorical question.]

The concert was pretty amazing. He was right about drugs and Indian music. One was not needed to enjoy the other.

On the other hand, there was Toni, acid and CCR a few months later.

On the third hand ( Very Happy ), there was that Asian chick who managed to turn into a fire-breathing dragon while walking across the quad in that school in Missouri. Never knew how she did it.

Ah well.

Shankar was a genius of his art form.

I have long wondered what ever became of Alice. She wasn't the same Alice who is famous for her brownies [B. Toklas], or the Alice who had a restaurant in Stockbridge, Mass where you could get anything you wanted, but she was her own Alice. A good Alice, nonetheless. So was Ravi.

RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: