Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Things back home that would annoy Koreans/foreigners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As I said, many posters on this site went to inner city high schools with more drugs than textbooks and had to dodge gang bullets between classes. Odd, seeing as the majority of people here are from middle class white suburban backgrounds.

Actually the scary thing is that for some of us were are talking about mid-level size city high-schools that had significant numbers of surburban students.

Just because you grow up in a suburban neighborhood doesn't mean you don't go to a school with a certain inner-city atmosphere. Desegregation and busing means that kids from all over the area get thrown together. The kids from government housing are in the same classroom as kids in hoity-toity developments.

Racial makeup of the school was 40% caucasian (half suburban, half blue-collar/trailer), 25% African-American, 20% Asian 15% Middle Eastern. Diversity paradise? Pffft. Rampant self-segregation and racial fights (but not wars). Blacks vs. Arabs in particular.

Much like a New York, you had significant areas of high affluence, but you also had areas of entrenched poverty and crime. But everyone went to school together.

If you go into an AP classroom, which were some of the best in the state, you'd find students as good as any and a nice learning environment. You go two doors down to another class and it would be total anarchy.

Depending on the class, the teacher's role might as well have been to make sure no one hurts each other and even then sometimes they don't care.

Me personally I beat the crap out of one kid in the middle of class and the teacher didn't even do ANYTHING about it, probably because he didn't want to get in the middle and risk getting hurt or sued.

Anyone who went to a large public school in a racially diverse city with income disparity is going to have a vastly different experience than someone who went to a small-middle sized public school in a largely homogeneous village or town with a low degree of income disparity.

It's not Dangerous Mind's, more like a tamer version of High School High. No one's claiming it's the ghetto. But it ain't country or "Woodland Pines Prepatory" either. It was more of a joke than some sort of hardcore place. Controlled anarchy. Teachers by and large just gave up unless they were teaching advanced classes.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
many posters on this site went to inner city high schools

Really? Do other people agree with that?
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Blacks vs. Arabs in particular.

Yeah high school for me had some pretty bad ass racial battles too.

I remember one time when this big (6'8" 280 pounds big) dumb working class white kid got into it with a tiny Filipino guy and then suddenly at least 10 of the Filipino guys buddies joined in like a swarm of insects.

The big white guy eventually got taken down but not before throwing around a few of the smaller guys. It was an awesome fight.

But the best/scariest fight I saw was between a group of Sudanese refugee students and a group of natives. Only in Canada would you see a fight like this.

It was so weird too seeing two completely different cultures from different parts of the world going at it.

The natives won. Those guys are some of the toughest s.o.b.'s out there.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything-is-everything wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
Blacks vs. Arabs in particular.

Yeah high school for me had some pretty bad ass racial battles too.

I remember one time when this big (6'8" 280 pounds big) dumb working class white kid got into it with a tiny Filipino guy and then suddenly at least 10 of the Filipino guys buddies joined in like a swarm of insects.

The big white guy eventually got taken down but not before throwing around a few of the smaller guys. It was an awesome fight.

But the best/scariest fight I saw was between a group of Sudanese refugee students and a group of natives. Only in Canada would you see a fight like this.

It was so weird too seeing two completely different cultures from different parts of the world going at it.

The natives won. Those guys are some of the toughest s.o.b.'s out there.

Went to a suburban school in Alberta, mostly white with a speckle of minorities. However there was a whole bus of natives that got bused in. Farm boys, or arrogant rich doctors sons, would always start fights with them, and it was always the whites that instigated these fights. Seeing a big farm boy battle an equally sized native is quite the thing to see. However, unlike the cowardly white boys, natives stick together and if one of them goes down 4 others are lined up ready to battle.

Funny thing after one fight, this one big dumb hick (used to be pretty racist before the fight) became pretty good friends with the native he fought.

Also it seems natives and Asians have a mutual respect for each other. At least they did at my school.
Mr. BlackCat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:
Quote:

I was being facetious. It's the internet, everybody's 6'4", ripped, has a 10 inch piece and lives the thug life. It's a 13 year old boy's fantasy on here.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. BlackCat wrote:
John Stamos jr. wrote:
Quote:

I was being facetious. It's the internet, everybody's 6'4", ripped, has a 10 inch piece and lives the thug life. It's a 13 year old boy's fantasy on here.

I would have realized that had I actually read the rest of the sentence originally. Little off today.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that was whack (in a good way) was that my school had a significant Jewish population and there was never anything going on between the two.

But Blacks vs. Arabs even though there were quite a few Black Muslims. Then you had the Arab vs. Chaldean fights. You'd see some Middle-Eastern kid cursing up a storm about Arabs, get confused, and then explain that he's Iraqi Chaldean. Then you had African kids who didn't get along with the black kids (got along best with Asians and Indians). Then you had Viets vs. Koreans.

Of course on the other hand you had multiracial crews that were all about smoking weed and while they would fight, they were not fighters and were always pretty chill with everyone.
darkjedidave

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legally able to sit on my front or back porch with a rifle hunt deer or shoot vermin Very Happy
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkjedidave wrote:
Legally able to sit on my front or back porch with a rifle hunt deer or shoot vermin Very Happy

While drinking.

Say what you will about North America, but we're still great at making our booze and guns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: