Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prescription confusion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laynamarya

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Prescription confusion Reply with quote

So here's my question of the day: how do doctors in Korea decide which medications to prescribe?

For the past few years, I've only gone to the doctor a few times, but when I have, I generally trusted that the doctor was prescribing only the medicine that I needed to fix my problem, so I just went along with it.

But recently, I've started looking up my medications. About a month ago, I went in for a fairly minor ailment and walked out with what turned out to be antiviral, antibiotic, AND anti-ulcer pills! I was shocked. Did the doctor really have no clue what was wrong with me and therefore just prescribe everything? I went to get a second opinion and was prescribed medication COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from the first doctor.

Additionally, have you noticed that you often cannot fill prescriptions at a pharmacy other than the one right next to the doctor's office? Why is this?

I have talked to my Korean family about this, and they have their ideas, but I was wondering what you folks think.
Dodge7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctors, for the most part in Korea, are quacks.
lemak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Prescription confusion Reply with quote

laynamarya wrote:
Additionally, have you noticed that you often cannot fill prescriptions at a pharmacy other than the one right next to the doctor's office? Why is this?

Likely in cahoots. Prior to the year 2000 or so you would buy the meds directly from the doctors rather than pharmacies. The government became worried that many quacks were over-prescribing medication in order to bump up the bill so they forced the two to separate. Many doctors unsuccessfully went on strike in protest claiming they were losing the bulk of their income. Not unrealistic to think they just became silent partners in the newly opened pharmacy downstairs instead.

Can you still only get the prescriptions filled on the same day as the doctor's visit or has that since changed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: