Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What happened to the Apple device ban back in August?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alias77

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: What happened to the Apple device ban back in August? Reply with quote

Hey,

I heard a few months ago that Apple was completely shut down from servicing, replacing, or selling the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad 1 and iPad 2 in Korea.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/261359/south_korean_court_rules_that_both_apple_and_samsung_infringed_patents.html

I don't see any threads within the first three pages, so I'm guessing that nobody has had a problem getting repairs/replacement phones. Anyone know for sure what the iPhone 4 status currently is in Korea? Recently had yours repaired/replaced, etc?

Thanks.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must have been some kind of deal struck, because I just bought an I-pad Retina last weekend, and they said they did service right there in the Itaewon shop, if needed.

Apple doesn't actually have a store here. They're all re-sellers. I believe they can be authorized to service, but are not actually Apple people.
Alias77

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the newer models weren't supposed to be affected. It's the older ones listed above that were specifically affected. I have an iPhone 4 and want to upgrade the OS, but there are numerous reports of issues including bricking when upgrading. I would prefer not to be caught in a bad spot, unable to get service, should anything happen. That's why I'm asking.
kimun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Alias77

For what it's worth, I've upgraded an iPhone4 (IOS4->IOS5->IOS6), an iPad2 (IOS4->IOS5->IOS6) and an iPad3 (IOS5->IOS6) without any problems. Prior to upgrading just backup your iPhone in iTunes and in case something goes wrong you restore your phone from the backup.

In addition, the article you quoted only talked about a "sales ban" and never mentioned a "service ban". That's because the court's ruling only applies a ban on future sales of those listed products (I have no idea if that sales ban is lifted or not) and there was never a "service ban" on any product including your iPhone4. Think about how odd that would be for consumers that bought those products (or bought Applecare for those products). Consumers would rightfully go absolutely batshit insane and Apple would likely have to either refund or replace all of those "banned" devices that are still under warranty if such a ban on "service" really existed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: