Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Commonly misunderstood English words
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joelove

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't most of these just "Konglish," used mainly between Koreans? For them I reckon it all makes sense, but foreigners may find the usages strange.
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joelove wrote:
Aren't most of these just "Konglish," used mainly between Koreans? For them I reckon it all makes sense, but foreigners may find the usages strange.

That's why I'm trying to stick with English words that actually have a different meaning to the commonly understood one here. The issue is not how Koreans communicate with each other, but how they use international English for international communication.
gforce645

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about people refering to lemon/lime soda as "cider"? Isnt it fermented apple juice? I know some Scrumpy Jack fans from the UK that were bewildered by that misnomer.
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alongside

Have you ever worked with Koreans?

I don't think you have because if you did you'd clearly know how Koreans misuse the word famous.

In most instances Koreans should be using well-known or popular instead of famous.

Finally your two "examples" pretty much sucked and so does your attitude on this thread. Why are you trying to belittle people? Again, you obviously have no experience with how Koreans misuse the word.
alongway

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything-is-everything wrote:
Alongside

I don't think you have because if you did you'd clearly know how Koreans misuse the word famous.

In most instances Koreans should be using well-known or popular instead of famous.

Finally your two "examples" pretty much sucked and so does your attitude on this thread. Why are you trying to belittle people? Again, you obviously have no experience with how Koreans misuse the word.

I guess you're referring to me. The only people I'm "belittling" are those being repeatedly and wilfully ignorant. If someone is going to stand there and claim that hundreds of millions of english native speakers are "misusing" English they deserve to be belittled. You want to take issue with something, I suggest you start there. I realize that a lot of western countries have reached the point where they want to start celebrating ignorance because it makes them all feel like they belong, but honestly, it's just sad.

Trying to make claims like that in a time when we can instantly check their veracity is just like trying to claim the earth is flat. It's got about as much truth to it as that does.
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
Alongside

I guess you're referring to me. The only people I'm "belittling" are those being repeatedly and wilfully ignorant. If someone is going to stand there and claim that hundreds of millions of english native speakers are "misusing" English they deserve to be belittled. You want to take issue with something, I suggest you start there. I realize that a lot of western countries have reached the point where they want to start celebrating ignorance because it makes them all feel like they belong, but honestly, it's just sad.

Trying to make claims like that in a time when we can instantly check their veracity is just like trying to claim the earth is flat. It's got about as much truth to it as that does.

Have you ever heard Koreans use the word famous?
sublunari

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Menu. Drives me crazy, and seems to mean food at a restaurant, rather than the specific list of food. Generally overused, i.e., "What menu did you buy there?"

This one is probably far more rare (and therefore much less annoying), but it's also fairly peculiar: Koreans refer to mohawks as mohicans. Dreadlocks are referred to as reggae hair. Although they almost never have any chance to use these words in Korean or English, when they encounter mohawks or dreadlocks in an English context, they use Konglish to refer to them.

Weak complaint, but bye-bye and hi are way, way, way, way overused; I don't know if I've ever heard a Korean say good morning to me without being prompted.

I'm wondering about the source of these words, and my impression is that they're mostly originating from the mouths of comedians. Have there been any academic papers written on the source of Konglish?
NohopeSeriously

Location: The Christian Right-Wing Educational Republic of Korea

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did someone mention overeat?

Overeat. Kdef: throwing up, vomiting Edef: eating too much of something.
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated List

Almost. Kdef: most. Edef: nearly.
Ballad. Kdef: a folk song. Edef: it has a wider meaning.
Body language. They think it means gestures, i.e. using your body to talk. It actually means what your body says whether you mean it to or not.
Bromide. Kdef: poster. Edef: chemical used in photography.
Coating. Kdef: plastic lamination. Edef: any covering layer.
Condo. Kdef: a membership resort. Edef: an owned apartment.
Crazy. Kdef: a severe insult referring to a mental disorder. Edef1: mad or insane. Edef2: a slang word referring to something you admire.
Cup. Kdef: any vessel for drinking out of. Edef1: drinking vessels of the type used for tea, or disposable paper or plastic ones. Edef2: sports trophies similar in type to medieval drinking vessels.
Expect. Kdef: look forward to something. Edef: expect something.
Dung. Kdef: general term for excrement. Edef: term for animal excrement.
Famous. Kdef: having a good reputation or name. Edef: when a good many people have heard of something.
Funny. Kdef: fun or interesting. Edef1: amusing. Edef2: peculiar.
Glamour. kdef: big breasts. edef: um...
Handle. Kdef: steering wheel. Edef: broadly. something designed to be grasped by the hand, but never a steering wheel.
Hard. Kdef: difficult or arduous, but also the feeling of suffering you get in a difficult or tiring situation. Edef1: difficult or arduous. Edef2: firm.
Health. Kdef: health club. Edef: condition of the body.
Hips. Kdef: the buttocks. Edef: the hips.
Hometown. Kdef: your place of origin, including town, area, district, or neighbourhood. Edef: Your town of origin only.
Hunting. Kdef: cruising to meet members of the opposite sex. Edef: killing wild animals.
Knit. Kdef: a general term for a sweater. Edef: a term used in trade for certain types of knitted sweater, but not as a general term.
MacGyver. Kdef: multipurpose pocket knife. Edef: old TV series/character.
Meeting. KDef: A date; blind date; night on the town; often with sexual overtones. EDef: 1. A gathering of staff, employees, or associated people to discuss issues of mutual interest. 2. The temporary coming together of any two or more objects, persons or materials.
Menu. Kdef: a dish or item on a menu. Edef: a list of dishes available at a restaurant.
Nice to meet you! Kdef: a phrase you use whenever you see someone you know. Edef: a phrase you use the first time you meet someone.
Night. Kdef: night club. Edef: when the sky is dark.
Oh you are so poor. Kdef: an expression of sympathy, e.g. if you are sick. Edef: an observation that you have no money. 'You poor thing' would be the correct phrase.
Oil. Kdef: petroleum oil or gasoline. Edef: oil (lubricant)
One-piece. Kdef: a dress. Edef: a style of swimsuit. (I have seen certain types of dress referred to as one-pieces in English department stores but as a trade term rather than for general use)
Outside. Kdef: any place outside your home. Edef: anywhere out in the open. If you were working in an office all day, you were not 'outside'.
Overeat. Kdef: vomit or throw up. Edef: eat too much.
Padding. Kdef: outerwear filled with down or synthetics. Edef: the stuff that pads something.
Panty. Kdef: male or female undershorts. Edef: (panties) short underpants for females.
Pot boiler. KDef: A suspense thriller. "I like pot boiler". EDef: A low quality play, opera, film, novel or other work of art.
Prepare an item. Kdef: get an item you need in order to get ready for something else, e.g. prepare spoons (for a picnic) Edef: make an item ready, e.g. prepare sandwiches (which need work, as opposed to spoons, which don't).
Promise. KDef: Meeting, meetup, appointment. "Sorry I'm busy on Saturday. I have a promise". EDef: 1. A serious agreement, contract, or commitment made to another person or persons.
Running. Kdef: sleeveless T-shirt. Edef: moving faster than a walk.
Sofa. Kdef: either sofa or armchair. Edef: sofa only.
Soso. Koreans think it means OK. In reality westerners rarely say this and if they do, it means very mediocre.
Stamina. Kdef: sexual stamina only. Edef: staying-power in all contexts, especially sport.
Stand. Kdef: lamp. Edef: many meanings, never lamp.
Toast. Kdef: grilled egg sandwich. Edef: toasted slice of bread.
Until. Kdef: 'by' meaning 'no later than'. E.g. "I'll finish the work until 6". Edef: 'until' meaning 'at but not before'. E.g. "I won't finish the work until 6".
Veranda. Kdef: a glassed-in utility room. Edef: a large open porch.
Villa. Kdef: a small walk-up apartment. Edef: an upscale country house.
Walker. Kdef: army-style boots (popular among teens these days). Edef: walking support.
dongjak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marathon: kdef-any distance running race
Englishdef- 26.2 mile race
schwa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gforce645 wrote:
How about people refering to lemon/lime soda as "cider"? Isnt it fermented apple juice? I know some Scrumpy Jack fans from the UK that were bewildered by that misnomer.

Cider definitely warrants inclusion. Classic konglish.
alongway

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
gforce645 wrote:

Cider definitely warrants inclusion. Classic konglish.

except it comes from Japan and is a name in use in several asian countries... classic clueless expat. Rolling Eyes
ursus_rex

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did not read the whole post, but I did catch the list of included usage errors. I did not see this one:

too - used as if it were "very". For example, "I'm too hungry... let's go eat." The speaker actually means he is very hungry rather than more hungry than he ought to be. Or "I've had a hard day. I'm too tired." The speaker means to say they are very tired from a hard day, not overly tired.

It seems a subtle difference but noticeable.
hiamnotcool

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
Alongside

I agree with a few of the things you are saying about some english words but they don't cover for some of the excuses you are making for other words. It's kind of funny that you are lecturing native english speakers on the use of their language in conversation. Keep in mind we don't all come from the same countries, so some people may not be familiar with the conversational use of some english words in whatever english speaking country you come from.

I find it very frustrating when I try to teach someone the natural way of saying a sentence or expressing a thought and they disregard it. Konglish is a big obstacle in the education system here, so much negative reinforcement on a daily basis.
alongway

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiamnotcool wrote:

I agree with a few of the things you are saying about some english words but they don't cover for some of the excuses you are making for other words. It's kind of funny that you are lecturing native english speakers on the use of their language in conversation. Keep in mind we don't all come from the same countries, so some people may not be familiar with the conversational use of some english words in whatever english speaking country you come from.

I find it very frustrating when I try to teach someone the natural way of saying a sentence or expressing a thought and they disregard it. Konglish is a big obstacle in the education system here, so much negative reinforcement on a daily basis.

That's kind of the point. Most of the people I'm "lecturing" are those that utterly fail to realize that there are other native countries or regions out there beyond their own. People who are mainly putting up "misuses" on their failure to recognize that or spend 15 seconds on google checking to see if the word ever is used like that in English by native speakers.

Konglish is a huge obstacle, but it's not really a misunderstanding of English so much as it's just that they haven't been taught in that situation. Mostly what it comes from is their recognition that Konglish mainly comes from English (as well as a few other languages) and the assumption that they are actually direct transliterations which is not the case. When we look at fundamental misunderstandings and misuses of words we're looking more at certain other examples, like promise or play as I gave. If you take the actual Konglish out of that list, there is very little left, and there already exists all kinds of examples and lists of Konglish out there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 8 of 13

Jump to: