Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No Hot Water? Pipe Frozen?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b.rabbit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: No Hot Water? Pipe Frozen? Reply with quote

This morning I woke up and thought my water pipes were frozen. I think I tried both sides of the faucet, but maybe I only tried the hot water one.

Either way, it's been a few hours since I last turned the faucet (I kept it on in hopes of noticing a drip when it restarted), but I just checked and now the cold water is working fine.

However, when I started moving the handle toward the hot water side, the water lessens in pressure and then comes to a complete stop. No hot water.

Has anyone else experienced this or know why this happened? I thought it was frozen pipes, but how can it be when my cold water still works?

My ondol has been on since this morning in an attempt to thaw the pipes, but no hot water yet. My boiler is actually located outside in a metal box, so I went out to check it. The pipes attached to the boiler seem to be fine, but it's all wired under the apartment so I can't check anywhere else. Sad

Last edited by b.rabbit on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Brooks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well considering the low temperatures, it doesn`t surprise me.
It must have gotten down to -18 C or more last night.
It seems like a cold winter.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. I guess it's caused by the pipe leading to the boiler freezing?

Sad thing is that I did leave my faucets dripping, but didn't, uh, drip hot water.

The problem pipe is probably outside of your apartment so you should talk with the landlord or whoever handles housing issues for you. I doubt running your ondol will do anything other than heat up the place.
schwa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I woke to no tap water this morning, but my ondol was fine. I keep my place cozy so I figured I was immune from freeze-up. Wrong. I'm in a three-unit jutaek & fortunately someone came by today to somehow put it right again. Kitchen & bathroom taps now set to drip 24/7 until this cold snap breaks.

Beyond that, I dont know.
CrikeyKorea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds frozen... it has happened to me before.. I went and found the exposed pipes and put on my heater and blasted it for 2 hours and it was sweet... Another time I had to get someone in to fix it, they can steam it or charge the pipes, either way costs about 50,000won. Hot water is often completely separate from cold-so once I had cold but not hot and once neither.. anyway call someone and it will be done in no time.
stuey11

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Happened to me last 2 mornings, ondol and cold water were fine, just had no hot water, the cold water input pipe to the boiler was frozen. I just opened all the hot water taps in the house, boiled the kettle , then slowly poured boiling water along the frozen pipe. Worked a treat and I had hot water within 30 seconds
stuey11

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Happened to me last 2 mornings, ondol and cold water were fine, just had no hot water, the cold water input pipe to the boiler was frozen. I just opened all the hot water taps in the house, boiled the kettle , then slowly poured boiling water along the frozen pipe. Worked a treat and I had hot water within 30 seconds
ajuma

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can defrost frozen pipes using a hair dryer too.
b.rabbit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^that's what I ended up doing. I called my landlord and he said it was the tenant's responsibility when this kind of thing happens. Confused

The guy told me to go outside with a hair dryer and try my luck with the pipes nearest to the boiler. Hot hair on the pipes for 5 minutes and then they started working again. I was so relieved! Very Happy
Brooks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it is not bad.
In Vermont my father would have to pour hot water on the pipe until it would work.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've left my heat on continuously during this cold snap to head off the problem. This is the coldest winter in Korea since I've been here.
JustinC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
I've left my heat on continuously during this cold snap to head off the problem. This is the coldest winter in Korea since I've been here.

You'd think that would be enough, wouldn't you?

I did - pipe froze; left heating on and a tap dripping - pipe froze; left heating on and two taps dribbling (a continuous, slow stream) - heating turned itself off and water pressure in the hot tap down considerably for a few minutes, I'm guessing the pipe was midst freezing at that point.

So now heating is on and hot and cold taps permanently open and water flowing slowly, but more than just a dribble. I'm expecting to return home one day to a flooded apartment as the outflow pipe freezes. Evil or Very Mad
Yaya

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear Daegu has the worst weather in Korea, scorching hot in summer, bone-chilling cold in the winter.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's due to poor quality construction. I have no idea why so many buildings are built with the pipes in exposed places. I can partially understand that the pipes aren't insulated since Korea doesn't get bad winters every year, but putting the outside?
Yaya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch out about leaving your taps dripping. The guy who lived above me did that and then the water burst out and flooded his place, which caused a leaky ceiling for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: