Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs where they should speak English well but fail to do so
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
Was not difficult to call because on such issues we (captain, urban, SR and TBD) tend to agree.

Really? Laughing

Well, you guys run the show.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
John Stamos jr. wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:
I'm not Korean, yet I seem to agree with SR on this issue.

What issue? Him being Korean? Oh, I agree as well. And, aren't you also considered to be an apologist? I know, it's a stupid term. I hate using it.

Yeah, I'm sure SR could rant about just about anything from just about anywhere, and not necessarily be wrong. But, eh... gonna say that what I said before plays a factor, despite his noble attempt to display his absolute objectivity.

Then explain my stances on other threads regarding Canadians, Muslims, African-Americans, and more.

Could it be that I just think that railing on other cultures when there are obvious examples of similar behaviors back home strikes me as bad behavior.

Whoa there, partner. You're getting ahead of yourself, but I'll roll with it. So, stating that you're an "apologist" for a multitude of different nationalities, excuses you from any potential bias towards Korea when you, as a Korean, apologize for their behavior/culture/etc.?

Quote:
Could there be a possibility, that perhaps, as fellow human beings, both you and Koreans are prone to the same behavior? Or do you believe there is something so substantial as to make Korean people prone to some unhuman behaviors or make you immune to such impulses?

Of course people are prone to similar behavior everywhere. We all walk, talk, and do ridiculous crap. But, cultural differences abound and vary throughout the world; some are funny, strange, stupid, irritating, and on and on. That doesn't mean they're not worth discussing or being opined about openly. There's nothing (using your words) "unhuman" about any part of it. It's just stupid cultural stuff. However, I think you may be deluding yourself to assume yourself to be a completely centered, unbiased, 100% objectively minded person (as anyone would be)... when, at the end of the day, you are a self-labeled Korean "apologist" who is living in Korea, is Korean, and consistently posting on a Korean forum. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and I know you're a pretty honest person on here. It's the self-ascription of absolute objectivity that I don't necessarily believe.

Quote:
Not Korean either and I too agree with SR on this issue.

Did I call that? Yeah, I called that. Cool

We have two choices- You could call me biased for having Korean ancestry (although I'm adopted and also strongly identify with my parent's Anglo roots) and then I could turn around and say you're biased because you're American/British/Whatever.

Or we could accept each other's opinions and go from there in debating them.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:
PatrickGHBusan wrote:
Was not difficult to call because on such issues we (captain, urban, SR and TBD) tend to agree.

Really? Laughing

Well, you guys run the show.

Not that I know of.

And to be clear, I was referring to THIS issue - the one in the OP.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You (the gang of four) seem to have a specific agenda, while most posters on here are having a rant or an argument for the sake of it. Like most campaigners in the world your ceaseless banging of the same drum eventually causes you to come across as rather dull over time(with the possible exception of Steelrails) and also, like most campaigners for the rights and equality of humans in the world you can be just as obnoxious and rude to people on a personal level as the rest of us.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's your view of it, obviously, I view it differently.

I see tons of things that I don't like about Korea... and have made many posts about them, but I also see tons of trolls on this forum that continue to come back again and again trying to stir up trouble.

Perhaps it comes down to a different viewpoint of this forum... i see it as a discussion place for people living in Korea. A place where people can get help with issues living here - or to try to understand things about korea/ns.

I don't see it as a place where people should come and take a written dump. A place to rant about all of your ills - just for the sake of it.

If you've got issues with my opinion on a matter, Edward, feel free to address me o them. But if this thread is any example of what you call an 'apologist', then I think you're out to lunch.

Could it not simply be that we have different opinions on this subject?
giraffe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to Agree with "the gang of four" on many issues. I'm not asian/korean either...

HOWEVER , I think people should be aloud to rant/ let off some steam ( without insulting /lowering korean ) and without being called out by apologists. That's fair enough! Lots of frustrations / things expats don't understand/ have a hard time getting used to in a foreign country...Nothing wrong with a little complaining. Problem is, it's just taken to an extreme level here and I think People tend to make circumstances/situations worst/over embellished than what really happen in reality just to prove a point ... IN general, that is... That's not to say there arent any korean assholes out there looking to screw you over or does something that affects you negatively.. There are plenty of those... but i do think alot of the issues that pop up here is not a "korean" only issue and As steelrails mentions alot the same kind of crap happens back home .. people are just quicker to pull the trigger and blame it on korean culture or koreans here ...

Anyways As far as the OP's issue /edwards questions. Yes, I think I would expect basic english service at an international airport ( doesnt make sense that there wouldn't be any but It definitely a possibilityand i wouldnt hold it against them if they didnt have english).. I absolutely wouldnt expect the WHOLE airport to serve me in basic english but I would expect the few employees ( at least one of them) working at the help desk for travelers to speak basic english. Perhaps you happen to drop by while the english speaking one went somewhere ie: washroom break , lunch , supper .. who knows.. At a big chain expensive hotel I would expect the same no matter what country I'm in. I would have no expectations of english service in small/medium sized local hotels. HOWEVER most likely, most of them would have someone on staff with enough english to communicate the basics especially in big/medium sized cities that have somekind of tourism... I doubt i would be disapointed if english wasn't available... I would make due without it...
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
HOWEVER , I think people should be aloud to rant/ let off some steam ( without insulting /lowering korean ) and without being called out by apologists.

That's fine and all, but these same venters seem to be notoriously prickly about Koreans letting off steam about them. Any comments abour foreigners on daum or nate are shown as proof of Korean bigotry.

As long as they have no problem with Koreans venting about them, then I have no problem with them venting.

Or one could not vent and find other ways to deal with frustration such as trying to understand why things happen, not why the person is wrong. Or exercise or knit or something.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Perhaps it comes down to a different viewpoint of this forum... i see it as a discussion place for people living in Korea. A place where people can get help with issues living here - or to try to understand things about korea/ns.

I don't see it as a place where people should come and take a written dump. A place to rant about all of your ills - just for the sake of it.

It's a mixture of the two. There's not much motivation for old timers to come on here and endlessly answer newbies' queries about tax or contracts or cheap hotels in Soraksan. They want a bit of entertainment as well. This will often be provided by humorous stories of what the locals do or rants about how much people hate it here. That guy Modernist used to come on here and write great rants about various things before he was put off by all the aggression. Actually you guys play a part too by arguing against people, it's true, though the pattern (Koreans do this, Yes but Americans also do this etc..) does seem to get repetitive at times
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I agree with you about the repetitive nature. If I was to look back a few pages on this thread, I can easily see how ppl might get 'bored away'. lol

Again though, you seem to enjoy rants. You see this place as an outlet for such things. I've never really looked at it that way. Neither of us run this site though, so I suppose it's up to others to decide which direction they want it to go in.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh, I agree with you about the repetitive nature. If I was to look back a few pages on this thread, I can easily see how ppl might get 'bored away'. lol

Aha yes are you talking about the section where you repeatedly refused to answer a simple question? That's a good example. PGB often uses the same technique
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:

Aha yes are you talking about the section where you repeatedly refused to answer a simple question? That's a good example. PGB often uses the same technique

And this is how the dance begins.

I thought I was very clear throughout this thread on my feelings in the OP. my apologies I was not able to convey that to you in simpler terms.
highstreet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where in the vastness of the internet are you going to find a place where you can rant about a country/people and have everyone agree with you? It's expected that some people aren't going to agree with your opinion.

The only place I can think of are forums like stormfront.org
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

I see tons of things that I don't like about Korea... and have made many posts about them,

baloney!
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything-is-everything wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

I see tons of things that I don't like about Korea... and have made many posts about them,

baloney!

Look through my posts.

From the past few days I've dissagreed with how Koreans raise babies and said I dislike the driving style here. Heck, and don't get me started about delivery guys and such.

If you think all of my posts are positive about Korea, you simply haven't read all of my posts.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomorrow is Friday, be happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: