Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keep an eye on this: Possible bus strike this week
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dairyairy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Keep an eye on this: Possible bus strike this week Reply with quote

http://koreajoongangdaily.joinsmsn.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2962543&cloc=joongangdaily|home|newslist1

Quote:
Bus drivers call for strike if taxis designated public
Bill would dip into same funds that support other forms of transportation Nov 19,2012

With legislation to designate taxis as public transportation, alongside buses and subways, in process at the National Assembly, bus drivers, unions and companies raised a loud outcry, threatening a nationwide strike this week.

The National Association of Bus Companies stated yesterday that it will hold an emergency meeting tomorrow with representatives of the nation�s 17 cities and provinces to discuss countermeasures against passing the bill, conceding that while taxis do need more support, designating them as public transportation is not an option.

It will further discuss a nationwide bus strike if lawmakers do not retract the draft bill to designate taxis as public transportation.

The National Assembly�s Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs Committee unanimously approved a draft revision bill to include taxis as public transportation last Thursday.

If the National Assembly passes the bill, taxis will be able receive the same subsidies from the national and local government that buses and subways receive.

All that is left is for the draft bill to receive approval by the Legislation and Judiciary committee on Wednesday, which will then need to pass the National Assembly on Friday.

The national buses association stated that if the bill passes the Legislation and Judiciary Committee on Wednesday, they will potentially stop operation of buses starting the next morning. They added that if the National Assembly passes the bill, they plan to suspend operation of buses for an indefinite period.

�Despite the opposition of lawmakers, transportation experts and the bus industry, both ruling and opposition parties in order to garner votes ahead of elections ignored the government and bus industry�s voice and [the Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs Committee] passed the unprecedented draft bill enabling taxis to be included as public transportation,� stated the national bus association spokesman at the National Assembly last week, requesting that the draft bill be promptly withdrawn.

Among various perks, in case of a deficit in operational profits, taxi companies will be eligible for subsidies by the government, and they will be also eligible to offer discounts to transferring passengers, which will be in turn subsidized by the national and district governments.

Taxis have especially long-coveted the bus-only central lanes, which they will be able to use if they are classified as public transportation. They will also be able to access public parking lots for buses. Buses have expressed that taxis using their lanes will clutter and block speedy commute.

�In a situation where the budget is limited, if taxis begin receiving government support, the subsidies for buses and subways will subsequently have to be decreased,� said Kim Jung-hoon, a head of the national bus association.

�If that happens, that can only be resolved in a price hike, which will result in unhappy passengers.�

cdninkorea

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see how they would be considered public transportation with all the regulations on them. After all, calling them private would imply the owners have control over them, but the fare is kept at an incredibly low rate by government decree and they have to use a certain kind of fuel.

Let taxis set prices wherever they want (require them to be open about it, of course) and get rid of subsidies.
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't blame the bus drivers for not wanting to share bus lanes with the taxi drivers. It'll be chaos. Theoreticly it sounds reasonable, but I don't see this working out well at all.

I don't live in Seoul now but when I did I remember the bus drivers and taxi drivers never really like each other. I saw many arguments between them, and a few fist fights break out on the street. And just if you are curious, the bus drivers always won the fights.
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of transfer discounts, but letting them use the bus lanes is crazy talk.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: h Reply with quote

I guess I'm missing something, but why would you need to transfer in a taxi? Would the taxi's have set routes that you would need to transfer from one taxi to another?
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there is going to be a strike.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2012/11/20/0200000000AEN20121120010700320.HTML
SMOE NSET

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be a strike tomorrow if it passes the committee today.
Malislamusrex

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing what a bride can buy. There is no public interest for having taxis as a public service. If anything there should be more competition.
thurst

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: h Reply with quote

taxis are obviously public transportation, so i don't see the big deal. using the bus lane sounds like something best decided by those that actually study traffic patterns.

nicwr2002 wrote:
I guess I'm missing something, but why would you need to transfer in a taxi? Would the taxi's have set routes that you would need to transfer from one taxi to another?

just as an example, let's say you're in itaewon or hannam and there's a bus that goes directly to your house from samgakji or yongsan...taking a cab to the bus stop and then taking the bus would be the most convenient/cost effective move.
ewlandon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you know if this will effect the Airport "limo"bus services? I need to take a bus to the airport friday morning and dont want any surprises.
Linda868

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same..does this affect buses going from one province to another? Thanks
drydell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malislamusrex wrote:
It's amazing what a bride can buy. There is no public interest for having taxis as a public service. If anything there should be more competition.

just wait til after the wedding - it gets much worse! Laughing
T-J

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there will be no bus service tomorrow.

Tourist and express busses should not be affected.

http://m.koreaherald.com/view.htm?20121121000840
schwa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn.

I rely on city buses daily to get to work, 20km away. I may be looking at W20000+ taxi rides each way. No subways here. My students suggested I try hitchhiking, hmm.

Hope they resolve this fast!
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
Damn.

I rely on city buses daily to get to work, 20km away. I may be looking at W20000+ taxi rides each way. No subways here. My students suggested I try hitchhiking, hmm.

Hope they resolve this fast!

Schwa you've been around for a while, I say try it. I bet it'll be interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: