Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Money motivated: how to make money in Korea
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BroodingSea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Money motivated: how to make money in Korea Reply with quote

What's people's experiences in this regard. What's the best job one can likely get in ESL or related to make 3-4 m per month? A few years ago I was in incheon doing a hogwon job with some private tuition and could essentially live off my privates. Since then I've finished a PhD in a non ESL subject (it's humanities/science based) and I'm looking to get a university job in korea (ive taught english at japanese universities) or any opening that pays as much as you can get. The UK post grad market is terrible and good employment in Newcastle is practically non existent.

So how have you guys made some decent money in Korea? What sorts of roles outside the 1.8/2.0 hogwon gigs are available?
newb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised you have a phd and you haven't figured that out yet.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start looking for jobs in your field in any country. If you have a Phd then you should be working in that field. Wasting your time teaching English will look bad to potential employers. Take any job you can related to your Phd and get experience. It will hold you in good stead for the future. When I should have been getting experience related to my degree I wasted my time doing unrelated jobs for a quick buck. Please don't make the same mistake.
Good luck!
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask Mr. skinheadship, he's a racis ..er moralist you know.
zombiedog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree, why would you go through all the work getting PhuD, and then want to come to Korea where your options are asinine universities, or hagwons that don't even know what a PhD is?

IF i were you I'd go back and beg the university to take "humanities" off my document. You'll probably be unemployed until that's done.
Paddycakes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zombiedog wrote:
i agree, why would you go through all the work getting PhuD, and then want to come to Korea where your options are asinine universities, or hagwons that don't even know what a PhD is?

IF i were you I'd go back and beg the university to take "humanities" off my document. You'll probably be unemployed until that's done.

+1

A PHD which must have cost a fortune in time and money, and you're looking at ESL in Korea???

Try the Middle East, at least they pay.
BroodingSea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received funding for the most part but this isn�t relevant to the points I made. As I said, post-doc opportunities in the UK are not there, PhD type jobs again � not there (e.g. I have several years research analyst experience earning good money � but these jobs are again � conspicuous in their rarity). My question is � again � to reiterate for the benefit of those above � how to make money in Korea. University jobs + associated roles and other employment opportunities. I�m not interested in hagwon roles. A university role perhaps and I have no qualms about it being ESL focused. I�d rather be in Korea for a year earning and saving decent money and enjoying good food and the overseas experience than sitting in the UK with a doctoral degree that isn�t working at the moment because uni funding is a mess and good jobs have 100+ applications. We have so many underemployed people especially in my hometown. I figure if I can make decent money using my PhD in a non-subject specific environment (ESL) then why not, at least for a year or two.
I am going to look and apply for a university role but just wondering if anyone has experience obtaining roles/opportunites that pay good salaries in ROK.
fustiancorduroy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The highest paying jobs would be tenure track university positions and test prep hagwon positions. Both would have starting salaries in the 50 million a year range and both max out at more than 100 million won a year. University positions are rare and ultra competitive but they would require much fewer working hours and provide better working conditions overall. Test prep hagwons are probably be easier to get, though still not easy, and would probably actually pay more in the beginning, but you'd be putting in long hours, especially during intensives. Besides, most test prep hagwons have an American bias anyway.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know when you were here, but the market has changed a lot since then. More competitive, worse exchange rates, and flat wages. Come over if you wish, but don't be too picky. If you are, wait a long time and maybe something will come up. Best of luck either way.
drydell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focus all your energy on teaching your discipline at Korean uni level rather than be distracted by the ESL uni jobs.. There are hundreds of universities in Korea - have you visited all their websites? Find the websites that list the dept uni jobs as they come up too..
Pay extra attention to the universities of foreign studies...
I'd like to be in your position right now .. Teaching non-esl dept position here... Now is the time to have a non- English phd here..
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The highest paying jobs would be tenure track university positions and test prep hagwon positions

He's not interested in hagwans and presumably wants to work legally. otherwise you might as well just tell him to get as many privates he can for 100,000 an hour.

Last edited by edwardcatflap on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
MetaFitX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lulz at Ph.Der's needing to come to Korea to make money working in hogwons. LOL.
Paddycakes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine a PhD or MA in anything other than an "applied field" would be as economically useless as a BA in the same subject.

That includes the pure sciences, too, not just sociology, etc.

The OP should say what his PhD is in.

He should try for a non-ESL position in a university, but I can only imagine that's ultra competitive since grad degrees now are a dime a dozen.

Working in Hogwan or Public School with a PhD singing children's songs... that would make him a suicide risk I think...
fustiancorduroy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
The highest paying jobs would be tenure track university positions and test prep hagwon positions

He's not interested in hagwans and presumably wants to work legally. otherwise you might as well just tell him to get as many privates he can for 100,000 an hour.

Edward, there is nothing intrinsically illegal about working at a hagwon. And he said he is not interested in hagwons under the assumption that they all pay around 2.0 million won a month. That is not the case.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Edward, there is nothing intrinsically illegal about working at a hagwon. And he said he is not interested in hagwons under the assumption that they all pay around 2.0 million won a month. That is not the case.

There is plenty illegal about working at one hagwan full time as an independent contractor, as you know full well. I don't really understand why the MODS don't ban people from discussing it. As they do with privates
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: