Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone completed ITTT TEFL recently?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bassexpander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Anyone completed ITTT TEFL recently? Reply with quote

If anyone has completed this course recently (within the last month or so), please contact me. I have a few questions about it.

Thank-you.
roybetis1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completed it, but not recently. About a year ago. Don't bother if you're doing it for the supposed payrise, you don't in fact in get the raise until you start the next contract. At which point you get a raise anyway. At least in Gangwon do.
agoodmouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine took it and said the cost was $190 without an online, personal tutor. He sent me the 20 lesson package in one PDF file which is just under 4.7mb.

Here's what the ITTT TEFL's 1st and 5th lesson's tables of contents are.

OrionForest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased the course without the tutor last week under the impression we get a raise upon completion, which is what happened with fellow expat teachers here. I'm thinking it might depend on location of your public school. What I am wondering is how difficult/time consuming the exam is. Anyone care to elaborate? Thanks mucheee!
Bibbitybop

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent.
bassexpander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITTT said they had made some changes, but those lessons look identical to what I saw before.
bassexpander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And mouse, what was your friend's experience with not having a tutor? Was he just given the packets and a final test to take? What was it like?
agoodmouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bassexpander wrote:
And mouse, what was your friend's experience with not having a tutor? Was he just given the packets and a final test to take? What was it like?

I don't know how this TEFL course is conducted. We should be Socratic, yea? Here's what I do know about the ITTT TEFL/TESOL course. By themselves, the materials for this course are much more professional, clear, and thorough in comparison to KEI-TEFL's; note, I took KEI-TEFL, so I sincerely believe this. I'm purely comparing course contents. Look, I'm actually supporting an online TEFL if one's got his/her mind set on not doing any completely on-site TEFL, which is where I strongly believe one's concrete practical skills are best developed, and not in front of a computer for 90% of the time. (I'm saying this for people who haven't an idea of my philosophy concerning this burgeoning divide of late on this message board -- and elsewhere with the advent of the internet -- which I feel has more to do with expediency than genuine concern for quality.)

If there's anyone else who can compare ITTT TEFL with another online course, speak up. I'm not saying there isn't an online TEFL better than ITTT, though. I'm going on what I've personally seen. Bassexpander, again, I'd rather you don't get phony or petty toward me again because I'm NOT speaking of the triumphs of KEI-TEFL over another online or on-site TEFL course. I know what I'm talking about, because I require myself to own experiences about things I talk about or support.

Here's my friend's email. It's rather concise. I have the whole ITTT course packets, and, yes, those are my personal screen captures of it. It's humorous to me that I can provide information about course contents on this message board, but then if I say share something underwhelming about a particular TEFL course...well, then, Bassexpander, you know what you did in the past. I don't appreciate being accused of lying, such as when you didn't fully know what you were talking about. But your comments were much too fickle, and oscillated far too frequently, for me to take away any positive or reflective appreciation from them.

wrote:
Hey,

Here's this stuff for reference. This test was $190 w/o the online, personal tutor.

The final test took me quite awhile to do, maybe 6 or 8 hours. Possibly because I hadn't read the materials very closely before ordering the final test, which has a 24-hour time limit.

Last edited by agoodmouse on Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bibbitybop

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completed the 20 lesson, 100 hour course in January. There was no final test. You simply complete the 20 assignments and then "Finishy!"
eac02

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am planning on moving to Korea this fall to teach and I recently completed the ITTT TEFL course online. As someone with limited teaching experience I thought the course very useful and helpful; however, I'm not sure if someone with teaching experience would find the course as beneficial.

There is no final exam, there is a worksheet with each unit and once you submit the final worksheet you are finished. How long it takes to complete the worksheets really depends on the person. The worksheets include questions based on the reading, creating lesson plans/ activities, and thinking about how you would handle different classroom situations.
Easter Clark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the course a year ago, so not sure if they have changed things much. I didn't have tutor support, which was fine. The materials are self-explanatory. The final test took me 4 hours to write, but that was with my giving very thorough answers and having to go back over some of the material. ITTT stresses the "ESA" approach: Engage, Study, Activate; similar to the PPP approach.

Overall, I'd recommend the course. I had been teaching four over four years at the point I took the course and still managed to learn quite a bit that I'd forgotten.

I could be wrong, but I believe there is no final exam only if you opt for tutor support. Otherwise, you don't submit anything to ITTT until you take the exam. So it looks like your choices are $290=no final exam but submitting assignments one-by-one; or $190=long final exam but no submitting assignments otherwise. Does that sound right?
Bibbitybop

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easter Clark wrote:

So it looks like your choices are $290=no final exam but submitting assignments one-by-one; or $190=long final exam but no submitting assignments otherwise. Does that sound right?

If 2 people sign up together (you can also work together, or independently), you get the course for around $250 each.

I had 3 years of teaching experience and learned a lot. It mostly helped me create different styles of lesson plans.
agoodmouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrote:
If 2 people sign up together (you can also work together, or independently), you get the course for around $250 each.

Interesting discount.
eac02

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know about the Young Learners or Buisness English classes they also offer? Do employers care about those certs or do they only care about the TEFL cert?
pkang0202

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easter Clark wrote:
I took the course a year ago, so not sure if they have changed things much. I didn't have tutor support, which was fine. The materials are self-explanatory. The final test took me 4 hours to write, but that was with my giving very thorough answers and having to go back over some of the material. ITTT stresses the "ESA" approach: Engage, Study, Activate; similar to the PPP approach.

Overall, I'd recommend the course. I had been teaching four over four years at the point I took the course and still managed to learn quite a bit that I'd forgotten.

I could be wrong, but I believe there is no final exam only if you opt for tutor support. Otherwise, you don't submit anything to ITTT until you take the exam. So it looks like your choices are $290=no final exam but submitting assignments one-by-one; or $190=long final exam but no submitting assignments otherwise. Does that sound right?

I just took the ITTT exam and submitted it. The material was good, the exam didn't seem well thought out. Some of the questions were vague and others, you had no idea what answer they wanted from you.

Anyone know how long it took to get your results after the test was submitted?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: