Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying used car

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paddycakes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Buying used car Reply with quote

If you buy a used car in Korea, do you wheel and deal on the price? (Dealer or private seller?)

Or do they use the "No Dicker Sticker" system?
buster brown

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, you can bargain on the price. When I bought my car, I tried bargaining with the previous owner but he was firm on his price and I ended up paying what he was asking. I've been happy with the car and feel like I got a good deal.

FWIW, I bought a used car from a private seller off www.encar.com. My Korean GF said that many dealers put up false advertising so that they can pull a bait-and-switch move, so we searched only the private owners. We targeted 5 or 6 cars, set up appointments and test-drove 2 cars, then agreed to buy the second one. It's been almost a year now, and I still feel like I had a good experience and got a relatively good deal.

Good luck with your search. I hope you find something reliable and get an acceptable price.
thrylos

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Stay away from car salesmen, deal only with private sellers. Their prices are more than honest (in my experience -- I've bought 3 cars this way myself), no haggling really needed. Was more than happy to pay their asking price.

You can also find the website of your local ad newspaper and view car listings in your area-- again, avoid used car salesmen-- unless you know your cars and prices really well-- and it's easy enough to spot in the ads.
GoldMember

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong. When you buy a used car, if there are any outstanding fines attached to the vehicle at the time of sale, then the new owner becomes responsible for those fines. Beware!
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldMember wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong. When you buy a used car, if there are any outstanding fines attached to the vehicle at the time of sale, then the new owner becomes responsible for those fines. Beware!

It seemed to me like I was not able to transfer my car without paying these off first.

I think if you just give money for the car to someone, then do the registration by yourself in your location, you could get into trouble as the OP specified. If you do the transfer at the gu office together, then the fees and fines will come up right then and there.
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a dealership with one of my many Korean friends got 20% off the sticker price when I bargained for it, plus new tires, an oil change and full tank of gas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: