Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A geek math question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joelove

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: A geek math question. Reply with quote

Why not. My older brother is a mathematician. We were looking at this book of problems the other day. I guess it is hard to do math notation here but, anyway, the question was, raise 50 to the power of n. Then, let's say 50 is raised to the power of 999. I believe that was the question. Then what are the last 1000 digits of 50 to the 999th power? It will surely be 999 zeroes at the end. Another brother informs me, and he knows stuff. Number theory. I got to study more.

Sorry, I did say it was a geek math question.
Moondoggy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: A geek math question. Reply with quote

joelove wrote:
Why not. My older brother is a mathematician. We were looking at this book of problems the other day. I guess it is hard to do math notation here but, anyway, the question was, raise 50 to the power of n. Then, let's say 50 is raised to the power of 999. I believe that was the question. Then what are the last 1000 digits of 50 to the 999th power? It will surely be 999 zeroes at the end. Another brother informs me, and he knows stuff. Number theory. I got to study more.

Sorry, I did say it was a geek math question.

It's 5 followed by 999 zeros.
Hugo85

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(50)^n = (5^n)*(10^n) and the (10^n) will provide a zero for each power to which it is raised. (5^n)'s last digit is always a five so it won't give more zeros..
Moondoggy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugo85 wrote:
(50)^n = (5^n)*(10^n) and the (10^n) will provide a zero for each power to which it is raised. (5^n)'s last digit is always a five so it won't give more zeros..

If you're still in college I suggest you take "discrete mathematics" which covers basics of set theory, algorithms, elementary number theory, combinatorial enumeration, discrete probability, graphs and trees, etc..
Anyways this is for you.

50 = 5 * 10

50 ^ 999 = (5 ^ 999) * (10 ^ 999)
5 ^ n always ends in 5, if n > 0.
10 ^ 999 has 999 zeros.

I have a question for the op. What does this math question have to do teaching ESL?
joelove

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh it has nothing to do with teaching ESL, but this is an off topic forum, so we are allowed to post nonsense. I knew it was 5 plus many zeroes. 5 times 5 time 5 and so on, always a 5. Dunno why I bother posting this. Beer. Yay beer.

Got any better ones? Will try to think or find one. Brother is not well, the math guy, but he still knows stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: