Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arriving 2.5 months early for EPIK, flight reimbursement?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonsfiresoul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Arriving 2.5 months early for EPIK, flight reimbursement? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows how the flight reimbursement for EPIK works now? I did some research and the majority of posts I've read say that they don't require a receipt to give the flight reimbursement, it's just given in your first paycheck, which I am aware will come at the end of the month.

However, I haven't found any posts for my particular situation. When I first applied to EPIK I didn't know I would be able to go early to volunteer and obtain an F4 visa. Evidently, I will have to sign a "contract" for the program I am going to be in. (Which I also did not know).

Clearly, I have two problems now. First, since the EPIK application asked if I am currently under contract and I said no, do I need to notify them now and/or will I get in trouble for becoming on contract prior to the EPIK start? I'm not making any money, I am simply volunteering, but on paper I will be under contract... and of course, in Korea already.

And second, am I still eligible for the flight reimbursement? I know you can arrive a little early, but I'm thinking that 2-3 months early is a bit much. But if they don't require receipts, would it really matter? Unfortunately, the volunteer program will not be giving me a reimbursement, so I would prefer the flight reimbursement from EPIK if that is possible. I don't care if I don't receive it until after a month or two teaching. I am just hoping to get it eventually. If not, then that is fine. I just want to know what to expect... And how NOT to get in trouble before I actually start working!

Thanks much,
dragonsfiresoul
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AIRFARE is strictly a contractual matter. IF your contract says you get 1.3 million within 30 days of starting work then you get it; same with your settlement allowance.

If it says something else, then something else. NOT all schools/recruiters use the same or correct EPIK contract (some use older versions with different wording and therein is the hitch).

cincynate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't this give you problems with your EPIK visa? If they think that you don't have a visa, and suddenly they find out that you have an F-4 visa, when they are applying for your visa, this might cause problems.. Not sure, but maybe....
dragonsfiresoul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did tell my interviewer about me potentially getting an F4 visa, as well as telling my recruiter about the possibility. So, yes, they do know.

ttompatz: I had to find my contact and find this section, but here's what my contact says about the F-4 and the reimbursement.
"If the Employee has an F-class visa and is residing in Korea, the Employee shall not receive an Entrance Allowance for the commencement of the new Term of Employment. The Employee shall be paid a Settlement Allowance of 300,000 Korean Won (KRW), when he/she begins the contract."

... So I guess I just answered my question, unless someone else has a different interpretation. Sad I may try and talk to them to explain my situation, but I probably won't get the reimbursement without blindsiding them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: