Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about health insurance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amck

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Question about health insurance Reply with quote

Went to the doctor and then asked my employer (hagwon) about getting half back as per my contract. She said I had to opt in (which I didn't know I had to do) so I can't get any of the money back that I spent. It says this in my contract:

CLAUSE 9 (Medical Insurance)

The teacher will be covered by medical insurance under the Korean Medical Insurance program, a private health organization. Half of the insurance premium will be paid by the employer and the other half by the teacher. (For reference the current rate of premium rate is approximately 3% of the monthly salary.)

My previous school (hogwan) said that if I went to the doctor to just give them the receipt and they would pay half. I assumed my current school would be the same.

Can anyone advice me on this?

Thanks
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have NO coverage (not private - illegal) or NHIC (required by law but usually ignored by hagwons) and the employer won't step up.

Find a new job. That will just be the tip of the iceberg.

oppa637

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are suppose to just pay half of the premium and you pay the other half which is deducted from your pay.

I don't understand what part of that contract says they will reimburse you for half of the cost?
newb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, half of he INSURANCE PREMIUM not the COST OF MEDICAL SERVICE.

Medical insurance doesn't cover 100% of medical service. You are responsible for co-pay.
Wildbore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Question about health insurance Reply with quote

amck wrote:
Went to the doctor and then asked my employer (hagwon) about getting half back as per my contract. She said I had to opt in (which I didn't know I had to do) so I can't get any of the money back that I spent. It says this in my contract:

CLAUSE 9 (Medical Insurance)

The teacher will be covered by medical insurance under the Korean Medical Insurance program, a private health organization. Half of the insurance premium will be paid by the employer and the other half by the teacher. (For reference the current rate of premium rate is approximately 3% of the monthly salary.)

My previous school (hogwan) said that if I went to the doctor to just give them the receipt and they would pay half. I assumed my current school would be the same.

Can anyone advice me on this?

Thanks

Sounds like your contract is a bad translation, they probably are referring to the NHIC, public health insurance.

Tell your Hagwon to enroll you in the National Health Insurance Corporation (NHIC, the public health insurance). The premium is 5.8% of your salary, 2.9% from your wage, and 2.9% from your Hagwon. Also, add another 6.55% to public Long-term care, so it ends up being about 3%. They are legally required to file an application for NHIC on your request.

Another way to obtain this insurance is go to the health insurance office and self-register. Since you are a foreigner they will probably give you the default rate (about 82,000W) and deduct it from your bank account. This is what I did.

But I recommend getting it from your employer, as if you try to self-register, they will almost certainly make you backpay for any months you weren't registered (sounds like your last Hagwon didn't register you properly, so you probably be dinged for tons of back healthcare taxes).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: