Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any decent 'Western style' pubs in north Seoul?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taylormade

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Any decent 'Western style' pubs in north Seoul? Reply with quote

Does anyone know of any decent Western style pubs in north Seoul. I'll soon be relocating to the Dongducheon area. Are there any popular pubs along line #1 from Dobongsan out towards, Eujeongbu, Yangju and Dongducheon?

There are American army bases out there, so I'm guessing there must be some sort of Western pub.

Thanks in advance.

Taylor
JustinC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have Facebook check out The Northern Alliance, specifically for NETs north of the 'Bu (Uijeongbu).

But, yes, there's Camp Casey which is the largest US base in Korea, with about 20,000 soldiers. The nearest station is Bosan, under which you'll find Ono which is, in my opinion, the best bar in the area. It does a few imported beers, Mexican and American food.

Then there are dozens of juicy bars which are shady, expensive and ultra-tacky. In some the women walk around in lingerie and stilettos, and the drinks are priced in dollars. They don't provide food but do have decent imports (drinks, the women are also imported but rarely decent). There are a couple which are okay for a drink and a game of pool, but some of them I've walked in and just turned around and gone back out again!

Also there's Marty's restaurant/bar which has slightly better American and Mexican food than Ono, is nicer inside, is more expensive and generally quite a bit louder in the evenings (it has 6 huge tvs that are always blaring deafening rap or rock music). And there's a small bar/Indian restaurant with shisha pipes and cheap soju cocktails.

That whole area (maybe a mile long by 200 yards wide) is swarming with huge GIs in fatigues on weekend nights. If you're female you may get shouted at by a jerk but most will keep themselves to themselves, but don't walk around there alone at night. It's okay to hang around during the daytime at the weekend but I wouldn't stay at night (except in Ono which is always chilled and if I'm with friends). Weekday evenings are usually pretty cool, though.

Everything in that area is priced with a premium added for the soldiers who don't bother venturing any further. There's an okay market nearby where you can find some western foods and drinks, and the further you get from the base the more Korean it all gets.
Taylormade

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinC wrote:
If you have Facebook check out The Northern Alliance, specifically for NETs north of the 'Bu (Uijeongbu).

But, yes, there's Camp Casey which is the largest US base in Korea, with about 20,000 soldiers. The nearest station is Bosan, under which you'll find Ono which is, in my opinion, the best bar in the area. It does a few imported beers, Mexican and American food.

Then there are dozens of juicy bars which are shady, expensive and ultra-tacky. In some the women walk around in lingerie and stilettos, and the drinks are priced in dollars. They don't provide food but do have decent imports (drinks, the women are also imported but rarely decent). There are a couple which are okay for a drink and a game of pool, but some of them I've walked in and just turned around and gone back out again!

Also there's Marty's restaurant/bar which has slightly better American and Mexican food than Ono, is nicer inside, is more expensive and generally quite a bit louder in the evenings (it has 6 huge tvs that are always blaring deafening rap or rock music). And there's a small bar/Indian restaurant with shisha pipes and cheap soju cocktails.

That whole area (maybe a mile long by 200 yards wide) is swarming with huge GIs in fatigues on weekend nights. If you're female you may get shouted at by a jerk but most will keep themselves to themselves, but don't walk around there alone at night. It's okay to hang around during the daytime at the weekend but I wouldn't stay at night (except in Ono which is always chilled and if I'm with friends). Weekday evenings are usually pretty cool, though.

Everything in that area is priced with a premium added for the soldiers who don't bother venturing any further. There's an okay market nearby where you can find some western foods and drinks, and the further you get from the base the more Korean it all gets.

Justin, thank you for the information.

Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: