Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

School Making You Write Your Own Textbook?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
benjaminthunderbolt



Joined: 30 Jan 2010

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: School Making You Write Your Own Textbook? Reply with quote

My school (a private MS) isn't all that great (4 midnight runs in 8 months). I complained about the textbook that we're using and they've decided that it'd be a good idea for me to write a new textbook in February. I'll be leaving in March, so I won't be able to use the book, and the school sells these shoddy textbooks for 40,000 Won/pop.

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone has experience in something like this. Does the stipulation that I "create materials" in my contract include writing a full textbook that I will receive 0% royalties on? Does the fact that the school willingly encourages me to plagiarize from other books have any bearing on the situation? Thoughts welcome.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thrylos



Joined: 10 Jun 2008

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you get 'work time' to do it. (ie, get out of classes)

Scan/print random pages of other books.

Put it together and submit it at the end of your contract.

Leave it to your replacements to figure it all out.

Everyone's a winner. (except the students)

Why stress over it? Smile, say 'yes', milk it for all you can, do a half-a$$ed job, it's the Korean way....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheUrbanMyth



Joined: 28 Jan 2003
Location: It's not a superiority complex when you really are superior

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: School Making You Write Your Own Textbook? Reply with quote

benjaminthunderbolt wrote:
My school (a private MS) isn't all that great (4 midnight runs in 8 months). I complained about the textbook that we're using and they've decided that it'd be a good idea for me to write a new textbook in February. I'll be leaving in March, so I won't be able to use the book, and the school sells these shoddy textbooks for 40,000 Won/pop.

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone has experience in something like this. Does the stipulation that I "create materials" in my contract include writing a full textbook that I will receive 0% royalties on? Does the fact that the school willingly encourages me to plagiarize from other books have any bearing on the situation? Thoughts welcome.


1st week of February.

Mr. Kim (or whoever your school boss/wrangler/liaison is): " So how's the textbook going?"

benjaminthunderbolt: "Oh...very difficult...I am working very hard."


2nd week of February.

Mr. Kim. "Still working on that textbook?"

bt: "Yes it is very difficult...I am not a professional textbook writer"


3rd week of February

Mr. Kim "Are you finished that textbook yet?"

bt: "Almost...just putting the finishing touches on it."


4th week of February

bt: (Comes to school with sad look on face)
"We have a problem."

Mr. Kim: "What problem?"

bt: "My computer crashed...I lost all my work."


1st week of March or whenever in March

(bt leaves school and finds a better position elsewhere)

THE END.

Of course whether you have done any work at all at assembling the textbook or not...is up to you. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
benjaminthunderbolt



Joined: 30 Jan 2010

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally I'd like to, you know, do a good job on the whole thing, since I inherited a book that was beyond terrible and was assembled in the manner you both suggest. However, I'd also like to get some sort of kickback, since doing it well (i.e. avoiding wholesale plagiarism) will take a lot of time.

Anyone have luck with this?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
newb



Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Location: Korea

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: School Making You Write Your Own Textbook? Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
benjaminthunderbolt wrote:
My school (a private MS) isn't all that great (4 midnight runs in 8 months). I complained about the textbook that we're using and they've decided that it'd be a good idea for me to write a new textbook in February. I'll be leaving in March, so I won't be able to use the book, and the school sells these shoddy textbooks for 40,000 Won/pop.

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone has experience in something like this. Does the stipulation that I "create materials" in my contract include writing a full textbook that I will receive 0% royalties on? Does the fact that the school willingly encourages me to plagiarize from other books have any bearing on the situation? Thoughts welcome.


1st week of February.

Mr. Kim (or whoever your school boss/wrangler/liaison is): " So how's the textbook going?"

benjaminthunderbolt: "Oh...very difficult...I am working very hard."


2nd week of February.

Mr. Kim. "Still working on that textbook?"

bt: "Yes it is very difficult...I am not a professional textbook writer"


3rd week of February

Mr. Kim "Are you finished that textbook yet?"

bt: "Almost...just putting the finishing touches on it."


4th week of February

bt: (Comes to school with sad look on face)
"We have a problem."

Mr. Kim: "What problem?"

bt: "My computer crashed...I lost all my work."


1st week of March or whenever in March

(bt leaves school and finds a better position elsewhere)

THE END.

Of course whether you have done any work at all at assembling the textbook or not...is up to you. Laughing


Laughing Laughing Laughing

Exactly what I would've done.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rutherford



Joined: 31 Jul 2007

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a middle ground between the ridiculous task of writing an entire textbook and just copy/pasting random stuff.

Find a few good websites like bogglesworldesl, etc. and copy / paste useful materials. Choose a variety of topics and make the format look reasonable. You can make short chapters with a reading, listening exercise, a couple games, and a creative activity or quiz at the end without overworking yourself. It won't be perfect but it will give whoever replaces you some decent materials to work with.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Son Deureo!



Joined: 30 Apr 2003

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is a middle ground between the ridiculous task of writing an entire textbook and just copy/pasting random stuff.


Absolutely. Another option would be to shop around and find a quality textbook or textbook series that they could use and recommend that. Go to any major bookstore and look around for textbooks you think would be decent (Kyobo Books near Gwanghwamoon Station has the best selection I know of. Most textbook publishers are also happy to send free evaluation copies to teachers in the hopes that of landing the account of an entire school.

Your school can buy them wholesale and still profit from a mark up. Your students and successors get a quality textbook. You just have to do a little shopping. Everybody wins.[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Squire



Joined: 26 Sep 2010
Location: Jeollanam-do

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free evaluation copies sound good. If your school are willing to buy books for all of the kids (which they should) then find out what are typical books used by other middle schools, ask the school to get you some free copies to check out, then order your favourite. If they aren't willing to fork out for new books then maybe find some sort of way to let them know that printing handouts for every student, every lesson is going to be expensive too

If you really are expected to create a whole syllabus... wow. That's quite a monumental task. Is your textbook really that bad? Even if it is, I'd still use it as a guideline and supplement it with my own material now and again
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
timhorton



Joined: 07 Dec 2005

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The concern you had about the original textbook is valid and logical. The lesson here is to not complain about the textbooks at all. Be careful what you complain about because it may result in more work for yourself. I have used many textbooks that were trash...just because.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Son Deureo!



Joined: 30 Apr 2003

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squire wrote:
Free evaluation copies sound good. If your school are willing to buy books for all of the kids (which they should) then find out what are typical books used by other middle schools, ask the school to get you some free copies to check out, then order your favourite.


Why ask the school to write the publishers for you? There's no reason why you can't write to the publisher directly. I've done this several times, and gotten free books almost every time. Your e-mail should say something like this:

"I am an English teacher at ________ Middle School in ________, South Korea. I have been asked to recommend a textbook for our program of (insert number here) students. Suchandsuch Textbook seems like it might suit our needs, so I would like to request an evaluation copy. Please feel free to include copies of any other materials you think our students might benefit from."

You'll usually get a copy of the book you asked for, some brochures about other textbook lines they have, and sometimes other books related to what you're teaching.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ddeubel



Joined: 20 Jul 2005

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is any help - you can use mine. I have several or also use some of the ones I put together with staff when in Korea. Here are the links. Change, edit, use your own name whatever....

http://community.eflclassroom.com/page/teach-learn
http://teachers.schooloftefl.com/forum/topics/english-now-the-perfect

DD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International