Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

South Korea education system ranked 2nd in the world.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nautilus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: South Korea education system ranked 2nd in the world. Reply with quote

Quote:
Learning Curve top 20 countries for education

1. Finland
2. South Korea
3. Hong Kong
4. Japan
5. Singapore
6. UK
7. Netherlands
8. New Zealand
9. Switzerland
10. Canada
11. Ireland
12. Denmark
13. Australia
14. Poland
15. Germany
16. Belgium
17. USA
18. Hungary
19. Slovakia
20. Russia

Nov 28 Yahoo Lifestyle News

"Finland and South Korea top the new league table, followed by Hong Kong, Japan and Singapore.

The global study, carried out by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) for education firm Pearson, used data from international tests, as well as data on school literacy and university graduation rates to draw up the index.

"The best performing countries attract top talent, train teachers throughout their careers and allow them freedom too" the report stated".

http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/uk-education-comes-sixth-global-league-table-130000692.html
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it's always nice to see Korea do well I still think Korea has a long way to finding an acceptable compromise between educational demands and a decent quality of life for their youngsters.
nautilus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
used data from international tests, as well as data on school literacy and university graduation rates to draw up the index.

University graduation rates would be meaningless in a korean context- everyone graduates Korean universities. Its regarded as the least you can expect for paying the fees.

International paper tests do not necessarily indicate knowledge or life skills that translate to real life.

Korea focusses on passing tests parrot-fashion but neglects other factors. It seems rare to encounter Koreans that enjoy learning for its own sake. Although certainly this country obviously has a very high literacy rate.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean they won't be coming to America to 'study' anymore? Very Happy
jonpurdy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume that this takes into account how well teachers are compensated (in comparison to GDP per Capita, taking into account vacation time as well). I read that Korean teachers on average are paid 250% of GDP per capita whereas here in Canada it's just over 100%.

It couldn't possibly take into account teaching methodologies and teaching for creativity and problem solving.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They work very hard for thier grades in South Korea. This is why many South Korean children hate the load of having to learn English in addition.

This news is a welcome relief from all the Korean education system dislike that you get on this forum.

Now if they would only do something about the Hogwan problem and Immigration.
zombiedog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not kid ourselves, Korea gets that ranking by employing some seriously unhealthy techniques that are in no small part responsible for the massive child suicide rate.

Korea should never be applauded for what they call education. It is a sick system that is blight on the country. that 2nd place they've earned was paid for in blood.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zombiedog wrote:
Let's not kid ourselves, Korea gets that ranking by employing some seriously unhealthy techniques that are in no small part responsible for the massive child suicide rate.

Korea should never be applauded for what they call education. It is a sick system that is blight on the country. that 2nd place they've earned was paid for in blood.

Agreed, for the most part.

And the amount of brain drain suffered by this country is off of the charts.
nautilus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zombiedog wrote:
that 2nd place they've earned was paid for in blood.

Or possibly fat brown envelopes.

Korea is expert at spin, of covering up its dirty underbelly and presenting a perfect fairytale facade to the outside world. It is a game the whole country is in on.

At the same time Korea seems to function as a sort of idealized paragon for the west, mostly because it is still a poorly-known blank slate and the media can write anything on it.

Thus governments exhort their citizens to "look how they do it in Korea' as some sort of airy fairy goal to aim for, knowing full well that nobody really knows what goes on in that far-off place and neither is anyone going to bother to fly there to verify things.
Unibrow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear there are only two extremes on Daves. Either Korea is terrible or Korea is wonderful. No middle ground.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting reading the comments below the original article.

I tend to agree with some of the posts.
Los Angeloser

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a nutshell,
Korean male teacher hitting his elementary female student ~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1ObIAh6Ldk
Scorpion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a joke. Not a single nobel prize. Not even a nomination. Their entire modernity was imported wholesale from the West. Not one contribution to humanity's collective knowledge of the world. No inventions. Nothing.

LOL.
orosee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll upset some Koreans, being only #2, after Finland nonetheless (people permanently pickled in Vodka)!

Still, an achievement to be shared with the USA, who got brain-drained by sending their best and brightest to Korea to educate, and suffered a drop to 17th place as a consequence (or is that up from last year?).

More seriously, competition is not won by discounting the winners' achievements, too many times I've been hearing the argument of "rote learning" versus "holistic education". It's as if the #17 (or #15) of the Olympic 100m sprint questions the purpose of running a short distance in a short time, then goes on saying that the winners most certainly suffer from sore feet as a result of their achievement.

If there's any meaning to this chart then certain nations now ranking in the double digits ought to be in the Top 5 or Top 10, and that should be a national policy.

Caveat: I didn't look up the criteria for the ranking. I would always include access to education and cost of education, but for a more specific view one might have a separate chart comparing only the elite top 10% of academic achievers, which would allow nations with high percentages of immigrants to fare better. I'm also disappointed but not surprised by the low ranking of my Old World birth country... Embarassed
Taylormade

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grade six students can't even count to sixty. I'm teaching them how to tell the time and I was amazed that half of them couldn't count to sixty. And don't get me started on Korean 'English teachers' who can't speak English. Second best educational system in the world? I think not.

Not only that, but the oppresive method of teaching here makes people grow to hate studying and hate learning. This distracts from the true purpose of education - to foster a love of learning as a life-long process. When's the last time you saw a Korean adult reading a book?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: