Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

South Korea education system ranked 2nd in the world.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys don't have to be so bitter about everything.

Personally I think the US and KR and most counties have a sucky education system. More about brainwashing than enlightenment.

Meh but good for KR, who cares.
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
What a joke. Not a single nobel prize. Not even a nomination. Their entire modernity was imported wholesale from the West. Not one contribution to humanity's collective knowledge of the world. No inventions. Nothing.

LOL.

Bloody hell, take a vacation, man. A long one.
Smithington

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ajoshi and ajumma are products of the world's second best educational system?

Last edited by Smithington on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
timhorton

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see another study that includes:

1) Creativity

2) Childrens Rights

3) Consistency

4) Bribing Principals

5) Parental Influence

6) etc, etc

Then, tell me if they would rank #2. The number of high schools graduates/university graduates has absolutely nothing to do with an effective education system. There are so many other variables. Any education system that exisits for the purposes of just passing exams ranks the lowest of the lowest
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In a nutshell,
Korean male teacher hitting his elementary female student ~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1ObIAh6Ldk

Damn! That's unreal. Are they fighting because it looks like the girl tries to slap the teacher? Why is a teacher fighting his student? It looks like the girl is trying to defend herself after he has thrown her around. I wonder what happened just before it got to this. Surely after that the guy has to be sacked.
joelove

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just recently saw some a of documentary on High School in South Korea, on youtube, didn't need to watch it, really. The 16 hours of study a day, the suicides and attempts, the stress; doesn't sound like a great system.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transmogrifier wrote:
Scorpion wrote:
What a joke. Not a single nobel prize. Not even a nomination. Their entire modernity was imported wholesale from the West. Not one contribution to humanity's collective knowledge of the world. No inventions. Nothing.

LOL.

Facts are stubborn little buggers. Telling a poster to "take a vacation' in no way alters the glaring gap between (a) the assertion that Korea has the second best educational system in the world and (b) the fact that 555 nobel prizes have been handed out over the years, but none to a graduate of the Korean educational system. I think that discrepancy needs some explaing. Apparently you don't.
fermentation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having survived the Korean education system, I really don't care how terrible it is. Something needs to keep the population in check.

Seoulman69 wrote:
Quote:
In a nutshell,
Korean male teacher hitting his elementary female student ~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1ObIAh6Ldk

Damn! That's unreal. Are they fighting because it looks like the girl tries to slap the teacher? Why is a teacher fighting his student? It looks like the girl is trying to defend herself after he has thrown her around. I wonder what happened just before it got to this. Surely after that the guy has to be sacked.

times sure have changed. Back in my day, that wasn't "shocking." It was normal.
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other news Obama wins the noble peace prize.

Last edited by No_hite_pls on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: extremes Reply with quote

I think it's a case of extremes. On one hand you have Finland at the top with a educational system of "let the kids learn what they like and are good at" as opposed to making them learn math because its good for them to know that. Then you have Korea, where the focus is cram as many facts and terms and information as humanly possible in the brain. Make them students for long periods of time and mandate that if you don't do then you can't succeed. The extremes have won out in my opinion leaving the others in the middle of the rankings. I think the question is, should we go with the extremes in education or the countries that have the middle ground?
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
transmogrifier wrote:
Scorpion wrote:

LOL.

Facts are stubborn little buggers. Telling a poster to "take a vacation' in no way alters the glaring gap between (a) the assertion that Korea has the second best educational system in the world and (b) the fact that 555 nobel prizes have been handed out over the years, but none to a graduate of the Korean educational system. I think that discrepancy needs some explaing. Apparently you don't.

No, I'm reacting to you, individually, and the amount of bile you cover every thread with, day in, day out. It can't be healthy hating things so much. That's why, take a vacation.
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unibrow wrote:
I swear there are only two extremes on Daves. Either Korea is terrible or Korea is wonderful. No middle ground.

True, though I think that's a reflection of Korea; it's a very extreme country in many ways. Many Koreans have polarised views of Korea too, so it's not even an expat-only thing.

fermentation wrote:
Having survived the Korean education system, I really don't care how terrible it is. Something needs to keep the population in check.

Question I'm not sure what you mean by this: Are you saying the Korean people need to be controlled by their supposed betters like some kind of animal herd? I think people should be left alone to exercise their liberty insofar as they do not infringe on the rights of others. Have I misunderstood your meaning?
hiamnotcool

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people seem upset by Korea being number one and attribute it to some kind of skewed rating system, but why isn't anyone angry about Finland being at the top then? I say give credit where it's due. The people here sacrifice so much for education, way more than I'm willing to sacrifice. I'm not sure how their best and brightest stand against the best and brightest, but across the board I'm going to assume their worst students are much better than the worst students I have seen in the USA. Suicides, bullying, studying to exhaustion and depression, do I sound harsh if I say that I would prefer those to the negative aspects of schools in the USA? Murder, widespread gang violence, and suicides are what we see in the USA...at the least the Koreans have something to show for it in their scores instead of just a bunch of lip service about how American students are more mature and worldly.

Here's something else to think about, maybe Koreans don't care about a bunch of western pat ourselves on the back awards like the nobel peace prize. The students here break their backs compared to students in the West. Don't be mad it turned up results. Maybe instead of knocking them we should do what they did a long time ago when they decided to look at what the west was doing right with education, maybe we should look at their model.
fermentation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:

Question I'm not sure what you mean by this: Are you saying the Korean people need to be controlled by their supposed betters like some kind of animal herd? I think people should be left alone to exercise their liberty insofar as they do not infringe on the rights of others. Have I misunderstood your meaning?[/quote]

What I meant was that the stress put on people by the system contributes to the high rate of suicide, and that can to prevent over-population. I think it's better we have depressed kids killing themselves over hurting others. I'm not a teenager, teacher or parent, so this affects me very little and I think people are making a bigger deal of this than it really is.

I was joking though. Kind of.
fosterman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naaa

Korea is based on Hakwons. the actual education in the schools here are terrible!!!! really robotic memorization styles. they learn nothing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: