Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

South Korea education system ranked 2nd in the world.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fosterman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiamnotcool wrote:

Don't be mad it turned up results. Maybe instead of knocking them we should do what they did a long time ago when they decided to look at what the west was doing right with education, maybe we should look at their model.

yeah, and the Asians, still want to come and study in our schools!
what does that tell you about the rankings...

korea number 2 hahahahahahaha BS!
Taylormade

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In three of my classes I have severely handicapped students. One just sits there and stares into space as drool runs down his chin onto the desk. He learns nothing, is disruptive when he is so inclined, and is not getting the help that he needs.

Where does this fit into the rankings?
ovid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting results, though no real surprise. The big difference i heard between Finland and Korea was the genuine love the students have towards learning. Though there's a lot of middle ground to be learned... the US is 17th on the list. Ouch
Smithington

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiamnotcool wrote:
A lot of people seem upset by Korea being number one

Say what, now?
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiamnotcool wrote:
A lot of people seem upset by Korea being number one and attribute it to some kind of skewed rating system, but why isn't anyone angry about Finland being at the top then?

The thing is education in the one aspect where Koreans are the most critical of themselves and their culture.

Koreans don't celebrate their own education system so it being labeled the 2nd best in the world is confusing.
hiamnotcool

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman wrote:
hiamnotcool wrote:

Don't be mad it turned up results. Maybe instead of knocking them we should do what they did a long time ago when they decided to look at what the west was doing right with education, maybe we should look at their model.

Yeah, they do study in our UNIVERSITIES and get high paying jobs. Our Universities like having them too because they work hard and conduct research with University grants. That is college, not highschool or middle school. They actually help boost the prestige of our Universities too. I worry about the west, we are ranked low and our response is the rating system is unfair, blah blah blah. It is possible we are worse than them and need to work on our education system, just a thought.
hiamnotcool

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:
hiamnotcool wrote:
A lot of people seem upset by Korea being number one

Say what, now?

number two....not number one. if you have any friends in Finland please apologize on my behalf.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A teacher at my last public school was a young earth creationist and told the students that evolution was a myth. Incredibly, he was the science teacher. Confused

Something's not adding up.
MoneyMike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the really interesting thing about the study is the crazy difference between the top 2 systems. Seriously, this is Finlands system:

http://www.businessinsider.com/finlands-education-system-best-in-world-2012-11?op=1#ixzz2DRZc0bnz

With the insane amount of work Koreans put in, it says a lot that Finland is beating them. (although I'd say the way they ranked that study tends to skew it towards Korea more than is really fair, what with almost everyone going to uni here)
timhorton

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
Having survived the Korean education system, I really don't care how terrible it is. Something needs to keep the population in check.

Seoulman69 wrote:
Quote:
In a nutshell,
Korean male teacher hitting his elementary female student ~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1ObIAh6Ldk

Damn! That's unreal. Are they fighting because it looks like the girl tries to slap the teacher? Why is a teacher fighting his student? It looks like the girl is trying to defend herself after he has thrown her around. I wonder what happened just before it got to this. Surely after that the guy has to be sacked.

times sure have changed. Back in my day, that wasn't "shocking." It was normal.

As you said, SURVIVED the education system. Nobody should have to SURVIVE going to school.
fermentation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
A teacher at my last public school was a young earth creationist and told the students that evolution was a myth. Incredibly, he was the science teacher. Confused

My teacher in 6th grade made us pray to god even though not everybody was Christian. He also told us women who get raped deserve it for dressing slutty and walking out at night. My history teacher in 8th grade told us black people are the root of Korea's social problems. You can tell I got a really education as a student in Korea.

Quote:
With the insane amount of work Koreans put in, it says a lot that Finland is beating them. (although I'd say the way they ranked that study tends to skew it towards Korea more than is really fair, what with almost everyone going to uni here)

Truth. It amazes me how well Northern Europeans speak English compared to Koreans who spend so much money and time on it. Koreans make the excuse that European languages are similar to English but that doesn't explain why American students are terrible at Spanish and French.

Quote:
As you said, SURVIVED the education system. Nobody should have to SURVIVE going to school.

But that's how it was. I can tell you I am really glad I am an adult now. Being a Korean student freaking sucks dude.
nero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
Scorpion wrote:

My teacher in 6th grade made us pray to god even though not everybody was Christian. He also told us women who get raped deserve it for dressing slutty and walking out at night. My history teacher in 8th grade told us black people are the root of Korea's social problems. You can tell I got a really education as a student in Korea.

Quote:

Truth. It amazes me how well Northern Europeans speak English compared to Koreans who spend so much money and time on it. Koreans make the excuse that European languages are similar to English but that doesn't explain why American students are terrible at Spanish and French.

Quote:

But that's how it was. I can tell you I am really glad I am an adult now. Being a Korean student freaking sucks dude.

I really like hearing your perspective on things, fermentation. It does help me understand some things about this country a little better. Smile
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiamnotcool wrote:
fosterman wrote:
hiamnotcool wrote:

Yeah, they do study in our UNIVERSITIES and get high paying jobs. Our Universities like having them too because they work hard and conduct research with University grants. That is college, not highschool or middle school. They actually help boost the prestige of our Universities too. I worry about the west, we are ranked low and our response is the rating system is unfair, blah blah blah. It is possible we are worse than them and need to work on our education system, just a thought.

Get real!

The universities like Koreans and other foreign students because they make them a boat load of cash.

International students tuition rates are double and even triple what a native pays.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite the little pogrom going on here....
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything-is-everything wrote:
hiamnotcool wrote:
fosterman wrote:
hiamnotcool wrote:

Get real!

The universities like Koreans and other foreign students because they make them a boat load of cash.

International students tuition rates are double and even triple what a native pays.

That's true for a lot of professional grad programs that aren't elite, not so much for the elite ones, who have plenty of domestic applicants who will drop the same amount of cash. And certainly not true for PhD programs, since any reputable one gives a student a stipend instead of charging them tuition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: