Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SHOCKING Korean Teacher - beating female elementary student
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

transmogrifier wrote:
alongway wrote:
They're old enough to know how to behave properly and listen to a teacher. The things we do are not isolated actions.

Yet by hitting her, everyone will forget about the poor behavior of the students because, no matter what, there is NO EXCUSE for hitting an 11 year old girl around the head.

So he has destroyed his career and allowed the students to play the victim card. Nice going.

I missed this comment, but thought it's a great one. If this teacher's goal was to instruct these students in civility... or proper behaviour, he's failed at it.

There's fault on both sides, but with him being the only adult AND the teacher, the responsibility lies with him.

alongway wrote:
From what you've read and what you'll admit to now.

It doesn't matter how they were striking him, they were physically assaulting their teacher and started the behaviour and escalated it. He was seemingly trying to get the girl to join the rest of the students being punished when she struck him. The students were the first to initiate physical contact and the first to escalate it to a full out fight. They are 11 years old, and by all accounts not in a special ed class, we have to assume they're fully functioning individuals. They should be very aware of the results those kinds of actions will have.

The accounts vary... and of course, there's a he said, they said thing going on.

You talk about escalation... but where is your condemnation of the guy's actions? I keep asking you about him shoving the boy at the end of the video - the boy wasn't hitting or striking him in any way. It wasn't in self defence - the shove and yell "kneel" was all about this teacher's ego.

It's is very telling.

Last edited by Captain Corea on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:26 am; edited 1 time in total
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoulman69 wrote:
Banning CP has been an unmitigated success. The same can be said for the USA. Their school system is truly the envy of the world.

I went to a few different schools in the US because of my father's job transferring him every couple of years. The schools where corporal punishment was permitted were not the envy of anywhere. The last couple of schools I attended were absolutely outstanding schools and corporal punishment was not only against the school rules but also against state law.

But keep painting with a broad brush. It's so much easier than the other option, isn't it?
alongway

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
alongway wrote:
American context and culture is not Korean context and culture.

Then there was absolutely no reason whatsoever for you to make that ridiculous comment you made about the US (and UK) school systems.

I was just saying that what happens in an American school and how it reflects on the teacher's reputation may not be identical to the way the same situation may go down in Korea.
Simply pointing out that American context and culture is different than Korean context and culture is "ridiculous"?

try decaf.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
CentralCali wrote:
alongway wrote:
American context and culture is not Korean context and culture.

Then there was absolutely no reason whatsoever for you to make that ridiculous comment you made about the US (and UK) school systems.

I was just saying that what happens in an American school and how it reflects on the teacher's reputation may not be identical to the way the same situation may go down in Korea.
Simply pointing out that American context and culture is different than Korean context and culture is "ridiculous"?

try decaf.

Are you always so against comparisons? I mean, when you see threads on test scores, or student suicide rates, or working conditions... do you feel the need to say "Don't compare!"

Just curious.

If we're going to just leave to to only the K-School system, then perhaps only those teaching in it currently should be allowed to comment. What about Koreans that have been through it, can they comment?

Heck, why stop there, maybe we should just limit this to people who work at the school in question.

Got it.

Honestly, man. It really seems like you're reaching here.

----------------------------

Looking at one of the articles posted previously, saw this interesting little tid-bit.

The teacher went to the girl's house and tried to apologize. The apology was refused... and one of the uncles (of the girl) punched the teacher.

The drama continues. lol
Mix1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tremault wrote:

I believe it is part of our human nature, to protect our offspring.

AND it's part of human nature to maintain a social hierarchy... where kids are at or near the bottom. This has traditionally been done by force or the threat of it.

It should be the norm to grow up with a little fear of getting your ass kicked if you step over the line. That's just how it is in life ...or was... until very recently.

Now many kids may grow up thinking they are untouchable, but if they step over the line, people may still lose it on them despite the new laws and rules. But they still have to have some modicum of respect.

Half of it is the parents fault. The latest trend to put them on a pedestal above reproach is pretty sickening in its own way.

That teacher went over the line and reacted in rage. Not good.

Still, some brats need a reality check similar to that. If not by a teacher then by a larger older student or random adult at the very least. She WILL think twice before smarting off like that again. And that's a good thing.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
try decaf.

Try making an intelligent commentary instead of comments similar to Seoulman's ridiculous and snide comment about the UK and US school systems, which is the one I was addressing in that post. By the way, did you not notice that I'd already deleted that post?

I don't drink coffee at all, so "try decaf" is as asinine as certain other posts you've made in this thread. Do you not see that the teacher is an adult who was beating a child? Nobody tried to put the idea of a 6-year old being beaten in anyone's head. The facts on the ground are that an adult teacher beat a minor student. It does not matter if the child was 6 years old, 11 years old, or even 17 years old. What matters is that the teacher beat a child. That is unacceptable and there is no excuse for his behavior.
alongway

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
alongway wrote:
try decaf.

Try making an intelligent commentary instead of Seoulman's ridiculous and snide comment about the UK and US school systems, which is the one I was addressing in that post. By the way, did you not notice that I'd already deleted that post?

I don't drink coffee at all, so "try decaf" is as asinine as certain other posts you've made in this thread. Do you not see that the teacher is an adult who was beating a child? Nobody tried to put the idea of a 6-year old being beaten in anyone's head. The facts on the ground are that an adult teacher beat a minor student. It does not matter if the child was 6 years old, 11 years old, or even 17 years old. What matters is that the teacher beat a child. That is unacceptable and there is no excuse for his behavior.

I replied before you deleted it obviously and you only quoted me and directed your comment at no one else, there was nothing remotely ridiculous about that statement.

Are you saying there is an excuse for students physically abusing their teachers? that is supposed to be ok? where is your outrage there?
T-dot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

Looking at one of the articles posted previously, saw this interesting little tid-bit.

The teacher went to the girl's house and tried to apologize. The apology was refused... and one of the uncles (of the girl) punched the teacher.

The drama continues. lol

People area also looking for the resignaton of the student's mother and uncle from the school committee.

The student is apparently taking a lot of heat on the net as well for her actions.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
I replied before you deleted it obviously and you only quoted me and directed your comment at no one else, there was nothing remotely ridiculous about that statement.

"Try decaf" is a childish insult.

Quote:
Are you saying there is an excuse for students physically abusing their teachers? that is supposed to be ok? where is your outrage there?

Whre do you get that from? Where did I say there's an excuse for a student to physically attack a teacher.
alongway

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Try decaf" is a childish insult.

Calling a simple statement of fact that Korean and American culture and context is different is ridiculous is about all the response that deserves.

Quote:
Whre do you get that from? Where did I say there's an excuse for a student to physically attack a teacher.

From the fact that you focus all your hate and vitriol on the teacher and not the students?
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, I deleted the post for a very simple reason: it wasn't you who made the post which I was addressing but my posting made it look like it was. FTR: the comment I was calling ridiculous was the asinine comment about the US and UK school systems.

I'm focusing all my hate and vitriol on the teacher? Yeah, right. Actually, I'm focusing my disgust on his unacceptable and likely criminal behavior. Stating that his actions are unacceptable does not mean that I think a student has free rein to clobber a teacher. There are ways, non-criminal ways and ways that do not include corporal punishment, to discipline a child.

Can you guess the key word in that paragraph? Just in case you can't, it's child. The adult teacher was physically assaulting, i.e, abusing, a child. I find that unacceptable.

Got it now?
alongway

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
Look, I deleted the post for a very simple reason: it wasn't you who made the post which I was addressing but my posting made it look like it was.

I'm focusing all my hate and vitriol on the teacher? Yeah, right. Actually, I'm focusing my disgust on his unacceptable and likely criminal behavior. Stating that his actions are unacceptable does not mean that I think a student has free rein to clobber a teacher. There are ways, non-criminal ways and ways that do not include corporal punishment, to discipline a child.

Can you guess the key word in that paragraph? Just in case you can't, it's child. The adult teacher was physically assaulting, i.e, abusing, a child. I find that unacceptable.

Got it now?

It looked that way because you quoted nothing else except that one statement from me. If you'd meant to direct it at someone else or something else, you might have wanted to say try quoting them.

His actions don't exist in a bubble. He was abused first and I find that equally as unacceptable.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
It looked that way because you quoted nothing else except that one statement from me. If you'd meant to direct it at someone else or something else, you might have wanted to say try quoting them.

THAT'S WHY I DELETED IT!

Quote:
His actions don't exist in a bubble. He was abused first and I find that equally as unacceptable.

I don't give a flying fig if he was insulted, had spit balls shot at him, or hit by one or even forty children. It is not acceptable for him, the adult, to be beating the living crud out of a child.
alongway

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
alongway wrote:

THAT'S WHY I DELETED IT!

Quote:

I don't give a flying fig if he was insulted, had spit balls shot at him, or hit by one or even forty children. It is not acceptable for him, the adult, to be beating the living crud out of a child.

Did I say that? I said their physical abuse was unacceptable. Did I say it made his acceptable?

decaf may not even be weak enough for you.
nautilus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tremault wrote:
What happens when the child hits you back?

In the CP school I went to the above would not have been an issue. The wider community actively supported the school and CP was only carried out with parental consent.
The caning was only carried out by the headmaster, not individual teachers. So there had to be an ordered process that ocurred before it took place.
In addition there was generally great respect for adults among the children. (Yeah, my school was not in the US or UK lol).

Quote:
will you take this hard line with the older children? the ones big enough to take you down?

Generally CP ends at age 16. After that, continued education is voluntary anway, so severe antisocial behaviour is punished not with the cane but by suspending or expelling the student.

Quote:
using violence to get people in line is not acceptable

Better tell that to the police, security guards, soldiers, all the countries currently engaged in wars.
In real life U C there are physical consequences for antisocial behaviour. Either jail time or someone will smash your face in. Isn't it better to prepare kids for the reality of life rather than allow their worst excesses to mushroom?

Quote:
and is why CP was abolished in the UK and other countries.

No it was abolished by a very close vote I believe, something like 51% for, 49% against. Not the universal condemnation that some on here pretend.

Quote:
yes I think a teachers time absolutely should be taken up learning appropriate child care skills since they are in the role of a carer for children.

So teaching = childcare? daycare?

That is a recent interpretation, not the traditional one. Traditionally speaking it is the parents who are responsible for such intimate emotional care.

This might surprise you but the teachers job is..to teach! Yeah. Teach subjects, without unecessary disruption.

Not to be a bouncer, best friend, big brother, coach, psychotherapist, punchbag, surrogate parent, target of violence or frustration, emotional therapist....or any other of the definitions you seem to think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 9 of 13

Jump to: