Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Contracts]My Recruiter Seems Worried About My Start Date

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaromero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: [Contracts]My Recruiter Seems Worried About My Start Date Reply with quote

I got my visa issuance from my recruiter applying to an asap position in Anyang. The contract has been signed and I already went to the Korean consulate to have the visa issued.

For whatever reason, the first time I see my start date (the 6th of December) was with the email about the issuance number. I went to the consulate the next day but my recruiter seems worried I wasn't fast enough.

To be fair I couldn't possibly have been faster but I almost assuredly will not have my visa in hand until the day before my start date.

The flight hasn't been booked yet, should I be worried?

Are there shenanigans the schools can pull with the contracts to make them less than binding?
Skippy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah the bali bali routine (quickly, quickly). Some schools are not well prepared or managed so some things happen last minute. Sometimes recruiters and schools do not understand things take as long as they take.

Plus to boot they do not have the ticket yet? Also give the recruiter a call, the school or recruiter might have thought YOU will buy the ticket. When you get to Korea, they will reimburse you.

Please do not EMAIL, call. You might have to stay up late, but a call is usually so much quicker and easier. Maybe followed up with an email.

The recruiter could also be worried, that someone else could snatch up your job if you take to long. Then the recruiter loses out money.

Yes, there are shenanigans schools can try and use to less make contracts less then binding. For a primer course start reading the contract thread. It is is loooooonnnnngggg! Over 100 pages. You will get a nice education in contracts and hagwons. Also consider checking out some of the other sticky pages and the FAQ section.

You know what actually will help with contracts. Brains! Actually reading them and understanding them. Do you know what is in your contract! It is amazing how many people come over and sign a contract. Later find out they did not pull it apart and found the school had cheated them somehow.

Another way in which to help with contract issues, is to stop being a *beep*. Sometimes you need to standup for yourself. If you do not like a thing, say NO.

Good Luck

Your first assignment is research on Independent Contractor in relation to hagwons.
Gorf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recruiters are always pushy because the sooner they can get your body producing heat in hagwon X, the sooner another 1,000,000 won will show up in their bank account. They don't car for your wellbeing, only that the school pays them for getting you over there.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorf wrote:
Recruiters are always pushy because the sooner they can get your body producing heat in hagwon X, the sooner another 1,000,000 won will show up in their bank account. They don't car for your wellbeing, only that the school pays them for getting you over there.

True as a recruiter is only a middle-man between the applicant and the job. He does not work for the applicant as the applicant does not pay him a red cent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: