Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA or Masters?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I'm With You

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francis-Pax wrote:
edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
1998 was a very long time ago. Technology has changed substantially since then. Your personal experience is limited. Here in the Middle East, technology integrated in all learning. In the UAE, for example, using iPads in the language classroom is compulsory. So your generalisations are limited to the contexts you have experienced.

IPads are compulsory in one of the places I work at now in Korea and the students' faces drop when they see you bring them into the class room. And please Francis can you drop the 'I've got more experience in more countries than you facade' (you haven't) and the attitude that you're somehow giving your valuable time up to slum it with people who are less sophisticated than you. It's all a bit childish.

I am not saying that I have more experience in different countries than you. Maybe you just feel insecure. I am only talking about my experiences in different contexts. Our experience with iPads are not the same as yours. We are doing very innovative things with iPads and project based learning where I am currently teaching. We have exactly the opposite experience. Maybe you just don't know how to teach with that type of technology. Or, it could be that it doesn't work in your particular context despite all of your knowledge and experience with the technology. This does not invalidate your experience. It just means that you need to be more careful about generalising your experiences to other contexts.

When I wrote that you experience is limited, I also implicitly state that my experiences are limited too. We are not God. We are just finite human beings that are limited to space and time. Your experiences are different from mine. The important point here is that we do not say that our experiences are the only way it is. We need to be flexible and realize that so much is relative to context.

When I write that you display an unsophisticated view, it does not mean that I am more sophisticated. It is also note a comparison between you and me. It is a comment on what you have written, not your person. I am sorry to say that your understanding of the relationship of theory and practice is elementary. You have made sweeping statements that are difficult to support and without evidence. You tend to generalize too much. You need to be humbler with your claims.

Francis,

You're coming in way too hot here.

Telling people that they have an "unsophisticated" understanding of theory or that they have "limited" experience while at the same time singing praises of the UAE makes you seem pretentious and arrogant.

And even though you've posted several times that you "don't have much" time discuss the issues, you posted quite a bit here on this thread and others. This is like the 3rd person you've offended in as many days with your manner. In other words, drop the attitude and be a little more civil and less confrontational.

TEFL'ing in the Middle East isn't without its pitfalls and aggravations.

Last edited by I'm With You on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:03 am; edited 1 time in total
diver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm With You wrote:

Francis,

You're coming in way too hot here.

Telling people that they have an "unsophisticated" understanding of theory or that they have "limited" experience while at the same time singing praises of the UAE makes you seem pretentious and arrogant. And event though you have posted several times here that you "don't have much" time discuss the issues here, you posted quite a bit here on this thread. In other words, drop the attitude and be a little more civil and less confrontational.

TEFL'ing in the Middle East isn't without its pitfalls and aggravations.

Do what my colleagues and I have done. Turn it into a drinking game. Every time he says something arrogant, do a shot Smile
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diver wrote:
12ax7 wrote:
diver,

If you had an MA worth the paper it's printed on, you'd know you shouldn't be blindly quoting Krashen, particularly on his input hypothesis. i+1...cute concept, but over simplistic since language acquisition isn't a linear process. It also ignores that students have control over the intake. Looks good on paper, that's all.

I'm sorry...which Krashen quote has got you all upset?

Rolling Eyes

Here's a reminder:

"CELTA holders may not be able to pontificate at length about Vygotsky, Piaget or Krashen - but they don't have to. It's not their job. Their job is to teach. "
diver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
diver wrote:
12ax7 wrote:
diver,

If you had an MA worth the paper it's printed on, you'd know you shouldn't be blindly quoting Krashen, particularly on his input hypothesis. i+1...cute concept, but over simplistic since language acquisition isn't a linear process. It also ignores that students have control over the intake. Looks good on paper, that's all.

Rolling Eyes

Here's a reminder:

"CELTA holders may not be able to pontificate at length about Vygotsky, Piaget or Krashen - but they don't have to. It's not their job. Their job is to teach. "

You accused me of blindly quoting Krashen. I didn't. I was pointing out the difference between what CELTA prepares one to do, vs. what an MA prepares one to do. If you had an MA worth the paper it's printed on, you'd know what "quote" means.

I am wondering why you ignored all the referenced sources that show the practicum is a vital component in teacher training and instead created a straw man argument?
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diver wrote:
12ax7 wrote:
diver wrote:
12ax7 wrote:
diver,

Rolling Eyes

Here's a reminder:

You accused me of blindly quoting Krashen. I didn't. I was pointing out the difference between what CELTA prepares one to do, vs. what an MA prepares one to do. If you had an MA worth the paper it's printed on, you'd know what "quote" means.

I am wondering why you ignored all the referenced sources that show the practicum is a vital component in teacher training and instead created a straw man argument?

You're purposely missing the point...and your referenced sources...As previously explained by another commenter, that's not how one makes an argument.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Doing an MA in ESL/EFL involves a considerable amount of time doing classroom research, far more than the 6 hours or so of practicum that you did while getting your CELTA.

Last edited by 12ax7 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
diver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
diver wrote:
12ax7 wrote:
diver wrote:
12ax7 wrote:
diver,

Rolling Eyes

Here's a reminder:

You're purposely missing the point.

No, I'm pretty sure that's not what's happening here.
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diver wrote:
12ax7 wrote:
diver wrote:
12ax7 wrote:
diver wrote:
12ax7 wrote:
diver,

Rolling Eyes

Here's a reminder:

You're purposely missing the point.

No, I'm pretty sure that's not what's happening here.

Cognitive dissonance, eh?
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Doing an MA in ESL/EFL involves a considerable amount of time doing classroom research, far more than the 6 hours or so of practicum that you did while getting your CELTA.

Come on, class room research (meaning I assume watching other people's lessons) is useful but not as useful as being assessed on your own teaching. Just ask anyone who's done a practical course which involves both.
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:

Come on, class room research (meaning I assume watching other people's lessons) is useful but not as useful as being assessed on your own teaching. Just ask anyone who's done a practical course which involves both.

Assumptions again. I've evaluated my own and others' lessons. A course? Courses, my friend. Courses held over a couple of years, not a couple of weeks...and that's without counting my 20 years of experience. So, you're wasting your time if you think that 6-10 hours of practicum is going to impress me.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Assumptions again. I've evaluated my own and others' lessons. A course? Courses, my friend. Courses held over a couple of years, not a couple of weeks.

Well great if you're happy with your own professional development and you're doing the job you want to do. You come across to me like someone who wouldn't get much out of the CELTA anyway.
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
Assumptions again. I've evaluated my own and others' lessons. A course? Courses, my friend. Courses held over a couple of years, not a couple of weeks.

Well great if you're happy with your own professional development and you're doing the job you want to do. You come across to me like someone who wouldn't get much out of the CELTA anyway.

Rolling Eyes

I'm qualified to be CELTA instructor.

https://www.teachers.cambridgeesol.org/ts/teachingqualifications/celta/becomingatrainer
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

https://www.teachers.cambridgeesol.org/ts/teachingqualifications/celta/becomingatrainer

That would depend on how they viewed the practical element of your course wouldn't it? And your teacher training experience.
diver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:

That would depend on how they viewed the practical element of your course wouldn't it? And your teacher training experience.

Well, he did watch people teach....

In other news, I am qualified to drive a Formula One car.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see, that's why Dave's is such a joke anymore. It's nothing more than a Celta love/attack those who tell the truth about it not being necessary/advertising fest. Seriously, soooo many people have gotten sick of this (and other issues) that they have just moved on.

Broken record... broken record... same old threads... same old attacks... same old responses... same old CELTA adv. threads.... same old people and their socks jumping on to bait/troll anyone who would disrespect their investment in an unneeded TESOL certification.

*yawn*
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You see, that's why Dave's is such a joke anymore. It's nothing more than a Celta love/attack those who tell the truth about it not being necessary/advertising fest. Seriously, soooo many people have gotten sick of this (and other issues) that they have just moved on.

Broken record... broken record... same old threads... same old attacks... same old responses... same old CELTA adv. threads.... same old people and their socks jumping on to bait/troll anyone who would disrespect their investment in an unneeded TESOL certification.

*yawn*

Ha ha classic. He pretends he's posting because he's bored with the same arguments coming up again and again and then he has another go at the CELTA. Here's a thought. If you really have got so sick of this topic, why don't you move on? Let it go. I don't have a PHD or an MA in Applied Linguistics but I don't keep coming on here telling people they're a waste of time. Why would I? What do you think is more rational human behaviour. People who have done a course wanting to tell others it's useful or people who have never done a course wanting to tell people it's useless?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: