Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is private health insurance substitutable for NHIC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teejay537

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Is private health insurance substitutable for NHIC? Reply with quote

I have been offered a position where the school stipulates they will provide private health insurance. My question is whether this can satisfy the government's requirement that all E2 visa holders have insurance, or whether there is no choice but to get NHIC? Is it a red flag that the school may be saving on costs by not registering staff for insurance, pension etc. and best to stay away? Bizarrely, my recruiter 'claims' to have no knowledge of health insurance issues, and told me that I don't even need insurance as I am "not Korean".

Basically, if I go with this school that may provide good private insurance and all goes well, what happens if I change to another job that does register me with NHIC - will I definitely have to backpay premiums, or could I convince them that I was covered all that time and avoid a penalty? By the way, the sample contract describes me as a 'teacher', not 'employee'
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Is private health insurance substitutable for NHIC? Reply with quote

teejay537 wrote:
IBizarrely, my recruiter 'claims' to have no knowledge of health insurance issues, and told me that I don't even need insurance as I am "not Korean".

THIS is the red flag. As for the private health insurance issue that is a scam. The reason the school wants to pay private health is that it usually both costs less and covers less than the NHIC.

Also it is harder to verify if they are actually paying anything to anyone and just telling you that you have it when you have nothing.

Unless you can definitely provide proof that you were covered you will likely have to backpay premiums...IF you tell NHIC about this last job

My advice would be to move on. This job sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to the teacher who takes it.
teejay537

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your insight. The question still remains for me whether private insurance can be substitutable for NHIC, in the eyes of government - i.e. if the NHIC ever comes knocking with a bill, or if immigration was to make an issue of it, can a person show proof of private coverage during the period and that satisfy? Or is it NHIC or no dice?
Skippy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of want to know this too.

Yet, I think NO. Private insurance is usually more as a top up of public insurance. Private is used to add better coverage.

The problem with going with private...

1) Against the law. All registered workers are to be registered with NHIC. Yep, even waygooks on E2 visas.
2) Getting reimbursement from private can take time. You can be even refused payment by insurance company. Why, because umm you are not following the rules.
3) Hospitals might even refuse you service.
4) You get charged FULL rate of services at hospital, because your insurance does not work.

Some other problems with private is....

5) Schools use a way to try and avoid paying PENSION too. In general you get NHIC, you are also enrolled with PENSION. Pension is also required by law! For some people they want this. For some people you loose out of extra money. You like more money yes.
6) If teacher extends or transfers with another school. They risk having to pay back the money they should paid for previous year or employment period.
7) Even worse a variation with number 6. If the school provides private insurance, this might be part of a scam move. School does not mention they likely signed said person up as an Independent Contractor. If person is a IC then the full payment of NHIC is the responsibility of teacher. School owes nothing. So you will have to pay back all the money for the time unregistered.
Cool Don't forget with number 6 and 7. NHIC and pension are linked. So you also will have to pay back PENSION for the time your where not registered.
9) Private can cost MORE then public. And it still might not work...
Related thread. I remember another thread, someone was paying for private and the amount they where paying would have covered both pension and NHIC payments. If the boss was also contributing their half. Maybe the person might lose out on pension (ie British, Kiwi) or is lossing out on money (ie Canuck, US).
10) Private is used as an excuse to stall. OK you accept private and you find a couple month down the road, SURPRISE. The school has still not registered you for that. Even worse is the school might have collected your insurance premiums and pocketed it. School promises to register and you wait and wait and wait some more. All the while paying FULL rate for any health problems.

Well, hope we can still get a straight answer to your question.
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Private health insurance is meant to provide supplementary coverage to the national programme, not serve as its substitute.

When my wife registered her business, she had to start contributing into the national programme. She wasn't given the option even though she was covered by my own insurance. In other words, everyone who earns a salary must contribute to it.

Last edited by 12ax7 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
big_fella1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have NHIC. You can either join yourself, or decent employers will join you up.

Some companies try to get out of insurance by providing you travel insurance. The problems are:
1. You have a 13 month visa, the travel insurance will refuse to pay if anything goes wrong.
2. You are liable for any NHIC amounts that haven't been paid, possibly years later. A receipt for private insurance will not cut it.

Seriously in the current hagwon climate the employers pulling these scams are going to the wall. Unless you can get paid weekly, I wouldn't take a job with any of them.
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_fella1 wrote:
You must have NHIC. You can either join yourself, or decent employers will join you up.

Some companies try to get out of insurance by providing you travel insurance. The problems are:
1. You have a 13 month visa, the travel insurance will refuse to pay if anything goes wrong.
2. You are liable for any NHIC amounts that haven't been paid, possibly years later. A receipt for private insurance will not cut it.

Seriously in the current hagwon climate the employers pulling these scams are going to the wall. Unless you can get paid weekly, I wouldn't take a job with any of them.

Yes, because at the cost of contributing to the NHIC, roughly 30-35000won per month and pension is probably 80-100 000 won per month. Hagwons who pull this stunt are nickle and diming. Something is wrong with management if they are willing to sink that low.
teejay537

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These type jobs are the only ones I'm being offered so the problem seems pretty widespread. I had an NET at one of the schools say, very cheerfully, that he hadn't needed his insurance card during the year because he was healthy, but that he was sure his director "had his card in his office" if needed. Also, the recruiters I'm using (about 10) haven't mentioned this issue of illegality, and seem offended when I do, like they will drop me if I dare request a legal job arrangement. I'm getting a bit despondent...
big_fella1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can imagine how you feel. I just noticed on your location says South Africa.

If you are South African you have a huge advantage, hagwons can employ you, provide health insurance, but they do not need to pay your pension.

South Africans are the only ones eligible for English Speaking E2's that don't get pension.

I say negotiate, please give me health insurance, because you don't have to pay pension.

Failing that China is another option.

Good luck.
Savant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teejay537 wrote:
These type jobs are the only ones I'm being offered so the problem seems pretty widespread. I had an NET at one of the schools say, very cheerfully, that he hadn't needed his insurance card during the year because he was healthy, but that he was sure his director "had his card in his office" if needed. Also, the recruiters I'm using (about 10) haven't mentioned this issue of illegality, and seem offended when I do, like they will drop me if I dare request a legal job arrangement. I'm getting a bit despondent...

Recruiters, ultimately, don't care about your well-being; just, if you have a heartbeat and pulse to be able to sign on the dotted line. They have a job that needs filled and if there are illegal clauses then only if they are truly desperate would they push a hagwon to make changes to a contract.
teejay537

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teejay537 wrote:

Well, this calls for a cautionary tale...A few years back, an NET who wasn't insured and his girlfriend were gravely burnt in a fire at his apartment. During the weeks he was still alive, bravely fighting for his life, the NET community donated a lot of money to his family, but it wasn't enough to cover all the bills. A single skin graft was in the 10-20 million won range, if I remember correctly. Yes, I think the government accepted to insure him after the fact, but the bills still added up.

In any case, I haven't had a health insurance card in years. It's now linked to the national ID number (i.e. further evidence that every citizen and resident must have coverage).

The whole thing about not getting you health insurance is to discourage you from taking the sick days you are entitled to. It's unethical for other reasons. I'm sure you've heard, "Oh, I will pay for half of your expenses if you need to see a doctor", which is an empty promise, or maybe, "I'll bring you to a doctor I know" (Yeah...Well, there goes the doctor/patient confidentiality out the window). Besides, does a woman want to go see a gynecologist with her male boss? Should you have to tell your boss that you need to see a psychiatrist to get anxiety medication? You don't want to get on the slippery slope. Don't wait for them to get health insurance for you, bring a Korean friend and fill out the paperwork yourself.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_fella1 wrote:

If you are South African you have a huge advantage, hagwons can employ you, provide health insurance, but they do not need to pay your pension.

South Africans are the only ones eligible for English Speaking E2's that don't get pension.

I say negotiate, please give me health insurance, because you don't have to pay pension.

Good luck.

Actually, everyone gets pension. You just don't get it when you leave;myou get it paid by the Korean government when you are 65. I think some other countries are like this too, not just South Africa. Just make sure your employer is paying into it. Just because you can cash it out doesnt mean you should.
schwa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
Actually, everyone gets pension. You just don't get it when you leave; you get it paid by the Korean government when you are 65.

...if you have contributed for a minimum of 10 years.
big_fella1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
big_fella1 wrote:

Good luck.

Actually, everyone gets pension. You just don't get it when you leave;myou get it paid by the Korean government when you are 65. I think some other countries are like this too, not just South Africa. Just make sure your employer is paying into it. Just because you can cash it out doesnt mean you should.

Actually one of the problems with this website is when people spread misinformation without taking the trouble to use google.com

http://english.nps.or.kr/jsppage/app/english/qna/qna_04.jsp

If you go through the countries exempted from NPS coverage you will find Republic of South Africa as the second country after Georgia.

Employers of employees who are South African are not required to make or deduct pension payments which makes South Africans more desirable employees for hagwons that follow the law.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: