Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Langcon Ilsan (Avalon chain)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amberglass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Langcon Ilsan (Avalon chain) Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I've just been offered a job at a school in Ilsan. Unfortunately the school is relatively new - only 6 months - so I doubt anyone here has any info, but if you do please speak up. Ilsan seems like a great place to live and the contract is pretty standard: 2.1 million won which will be paid on the 10th of each month, 12-8 working hours (pretty good), 30 working hours per week, etc. I'm going to talk to a teacher from there, I'm just a bit nervous because it's so new and there's only 2 other foreign teachers there. Anyway have feedback on the Avalon chain in general, or on the area?
mandrews1985

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standard reply is Avalon is good for newbie teachers.

I teach 1 LangCon class a day 4 days a week on top of my 6 Ivy (Middle School) classes.

LangCon is fun, but it's not really teaching, it's babysitting. The good thing is these kids are so young and cute it's generally really fun!

My Avalon doesnt have a full LangCon program though, so it could be different to yours.

This is how I guess it will work for you:

12 start office time / lunch hour / bit more office time

3.50 first class till 4.30

4.50 second class till 5.40

Those kids go home. Next bunch of kids arrive.

5.50 first class till 6.40

6.50 second class till 7.40

7.40 till 8 office time.

Though my LangCon only has the first 2 classes till 5.40, maybe you guys will start earlier, but I dont think so, because LangCon kids are still elementary age (1st and 2nd years I think) so I can't see your first class being any earlier than 3.50pm.

Hope this has helped a little bit!
Koreatime7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any recent info with this school? I could potentially be working there soon
zoeksk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was offered this job 2 weeks ago and initially accepted it (but didnt sign anything) I told my other recruiters that I wasnt looking any more and was just waiting for my documents to arrive when a school I had previously interviewed with came back and said they didnt want to loose me so would let me start 2 weeks later AND at a slightly higher salary.

Bearing in mind the langcon in Ilsan wouldn't interview me they just wanted me to sign the contract because they 'trusted the recruiter' but the recruiter told me that the school had fired the previous teacher 3 months in (also someone placed by my recruiter)

I thought the school and the contract were ok, but I was nervous about not being able to speak to the school or previous teachers and so I took the better paid 9-5 job (that actually interviewed me) instead.

I'm not trying to put you off or put down the school but I did turn this job down because I was worried about being fired 3 months in like the last person.

If you want to know more pm me, as I cant yet but if you've managed to speak to the school it should be ok I think Smile
Koreatime7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the info. Unfortunately I can't PM yet either Confused . I would much rather find these things out now instead of having to find them out the hard way. Not being interviewed or having the chance to speak to the teachers are definitely 2 red flags for me. I think that I will keep waiting and see what other opportunities are out there. Thanks again!
nile19

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any more info on this? I am in the same boat right now Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: