Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who has ever gone through the process for a Chinese visa?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArgentineDreams

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Who has ever gone through the process for a Chinese visa? Reply with quote

My contract and Visa finish soon, and I am on an E2 Visa. I want to visit China before leaving Asia.

I read online that if you are a foreigner in Korea applying for a Chinese tourist visa, you must have 6 months left on the visa. My Visa expires in January, thus I will not have this requirement.

It then says on some other internet sites that the only way to get a Chinese tourist visa for somebody in my situation is to go through a special travel agency for it�

So has anybody ever had any experiences with getting their Chinese visas here in Seoul? Or any experiences in dealing with these agencies??

-Thanks
lemak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your situation unless things have changed you're best to buy a flight to Hong Kong and organize your Chinese visa through an agent there. Takes just a few hours and is actually cheaper than getting from the embassy.
Keep checking in with travel sites such as the Thorn Tree as China seems to be changing its visa regulations near daily at the moment.
swigs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2009 I used Xanadu in itaewon, they were awesome. But did they close? Their website is now down: xanadu.co.kr

I'd see if they were still open though.
lemak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Process has changed significantly since 2009 however.
Comparing what was required to get the visa both then and now is like comparing apples and oranges, unfortunately.
Likewise when I applied for visas for China back in 2009 it was simply a formality. Fill in this form, pay the cash, done. Not so easy anymore, alas.
lemak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as xanadu....perhaps they're dead and buried..?

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=222493
atwood

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to go through a travel agency approved by the Chinese embassy. Contact one of those listed and ask them about the six-month requirement.

If you're from the U.S., it's 200,000won.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really that hard? As a US citizen, and resident in KR, I goto Shanghai all the time. All I do is pay some absurd fee, about $250 I think, just contact a local travel agency.

In the past I remember paying less and also being able to get a multiple entry permit, seems way too expensive now.
atwood

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Is it really that hard? As a US citizen, and resident in KR, I goto Shanghai all the time. All I do is pay some absurd fee, about $250 I think, just contact a local travel agency.

In the past I remember paying less and also being able to get a multiple entry permit, seems way too expensive now.

The $250 or however much it is these days should be good for six months or maybe even a year, at least according the embassy website.
lemak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:

If you have a longer ARC than the usual one year, or fall into different visa categories it may be simplified, but for an e-2 visa holder with less than 6 months on their ARC it's a headache.

It's not just for tourist visas. I had to fly to Thailand to collect my work visa for China since the Chinese embassies and consulates in Korea weren't issuing them even though I had valid invitation letters from both employers and the PSB in China and was likewise a long term resident in Korea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: