Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean Perception of Foreign English Teachers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TheUrbanMyth



Joined: 28 Jan 2003
Location: It's not a superiority complex when you really are superior

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peace Train wrote:
[
It's flat out untrue. Any Korean adult with a kid is dedicating a decent chunk of their paycheck to English schooling -- via hogwans, private tutoring or overseas acclimation. As such they are either directly or indirectly hearing and sharing opinions re: foreign english teachers. And those opinions, by and large, are less than exemplary as a result of a 10 year smear campaign by the media.

I'm not going to repeat myself but go back and read my original post on page 1. I have been dealing with hundreds if not thousands of Koreans in a professional working environment for the past decade. They do indeed "care" about you people. And by care I mean want you dead.



So while they are shelling out so much money they also think we are skirt-chasing drunken pedophiles? Come off it. This makes no sense at all.

And thousands of Koreans want us dead? You just crossed the line from total absurdity to blatant trolling.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
some waygug-in



Joined: 25 Jan 2003

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They would shell out that same money even if there were no foreign teachers.

That's beside the point.


I am not advocating the "they want you dead" position by the way.


What it seems to me is that many Koreans want a lot of the long term

teachers to leave. They seem to want young newbies to be there for

a couple of years (at most) and then move on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
newb



Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Location: Korea

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some waygug-in wrote:

What it seems to me is that many Koreans want a lot of the long term

teachers to leave. They seem to want young newbies to be there for

a couple of years (at most) and then move on.


Interesting. I have the similar gut feeling as I am approaching my 5th consecutive year.

Is it because:

1. I'm no longer naive and don't believe everything they feed me?
2. they are begining to lose face because I know too much truth about socio-political issues of Korea?
3. I made and making too much coin while doing far less than Korean employees do?
4. they simply want a new face?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tiger fancini



Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Location: Testicles for Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newb wrote:


Is it because:

1. I'm no longer naive and don't believe everything they feed me?
2. they are begining to lose face because I know too much truth about socio-political issues of Korea?
3. I made and making too much coin while doing far less than Korean employees do?
4. they simply want a new face?


If you project this to them, then of course they are going to sick and tired of you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
newb



Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Location: Korea

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiger fancini wrote:
newb wrote:


Is it because:

1. I'm no longer naive and don't believe everything they feed me?
2. they are begining to lose face because I know too much truth about socio-political issues of Korea?
3. I made and making too much coin while doing far less than Korean employees do?
4. they simply want a new face?


If you project this to them, then of course they are going to sick and tired of you.


I never projected anything to them. The school admin keeps nothing secret about my salary, extra compensations, and benefits to other Korean teachers. Besides, why should it matter if I make more than them? (scratchin' my head)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr Crowley



Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Location: USA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newb wrote:
some waygug-in wrote:

What it seems to me is that many Koreans want a lot of the long term

teachers to leave. They seem to want young newbies to be there for

a couple of years (at most) and then move on.


Interesting. I have the similar gut feeling as I am approaching my 5th consecutive year.

Is it because:

1. I'm no longer naive and don't believe everything they feed me?
2. they are begining to lose face because I know too much truth about socio-political issues of Korea?
3. I made and making too much coin while doing far less than Korean employees do?
4. they simply want a new face?


I'll take #4 for $5.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
No_hite_pls



Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Location: Don't hate me because I'm right

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newb wrote:
some waygug-in wrote:

What it seems to me is that many Koreans want a lot of the long term

teachers to leave. They seem to want young newbies to be there for

a couple of years (at most) and then move on.


Interesting. I have the similar gut feeling as I am approaching my 5th consecutive year.

Is it because:

1. I'm no longer naive and don't believe everything they feed me?

3. I made and making too much coin while doing far less than Korean employees do?


You say your no longer naive then you say a really naive statement. Korean public school teachers make bank. They get very large bonuses and an amazing retirement plan. I know a contract teacher that is 33 that pooled in 5 million a month with extras (bonuses and overtime) her base pay was only 2.6. She was paid 75,000 an hour for overtime (any class after 2:20) along with every other teacher at her school except the foreign teacher.


Last edited by No_hite_pls on Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tiger fancini



Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Location: Testicles for Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newb wrote:
tiger fancini wrote:
newb wrote:


Is it because:

1. I'm no longer naive and don't believe everything they feed me?
2. they are begining to lose face because I know too much truth about socio-political issues of Korea?
3. I made and making too much coin while doing far less than Korean employees do?
4. they simply want a new face?


If you project this to them, then of course they are going to sick and tired of you.


I never projected anything to them. The school admin keeps nothing secret about my salary, extra compensations, and benefits to other Korean teachers. Besides, why should it matter if I make more than them? (scratchin' my head)


I would say it depends on their perception of whether you actually earn your money. Most Korean teachers know the general financial deal that foreigners get here. However, some foreigners may be perceived as being lazy, unreliable and lacking in teaching skills. If such a foreigner were to brag about their salary (not saying YOU do btw), then that could cause some friction.

On the other hand if you work hard and are perceived as 'diligent' by your co-workers, then I can't see why you would encounter any hostility. Remember that the definition of 'diligent' in a Korean's mind may not be the same as yours.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
No_hite_pls



Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Location: Don't hate me because I'm right

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The average wage for a Korean contract teachers is about 2.4 with bonuses and a little overtime about 3.3 (about the same as Native speakers with housing included). Union teachers make around 2.2 to up to 6.0 million towards retirement not including their generous bonuses. Most retirement packages are around half a million dollars (USD) for union teachers!

Per class taught your Korean co-workers are the highest paid in the world.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/09/teacher-pay-around-the-world/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Weigookin74



Joined: 26 Oct 2009

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
Peace Train wrote:
[
It's flat out untrue. Any Korean adult with a kid is dedicating a decent chunk of their paycheck to English schooling -- via hogwans, private tutoring or overseas acclimation. As such they are either directly or indirectly hearing and sharing opinions re: foreign english teachers. And those opinions, by and large, are less than exemplary as a result of a 10 year smear campaign by the media.

I'm not going to repeat myself but go back and read my original post on page 1. I have been dealing with hundreds if not thousands of Koreans in a professional working environment for the past decade. They do indeed "care" about you people. And by care I mean want you dead.



So while they are shelling out so much money they also think we are skirt-chasing drunken pedophiles? Come off it. This makes no sense at all.

And thousands of Koreans want us dead? You just crossed the line from total absurdity to blatant trolling.


Let me say that the Korean media had a real hate for us along with some older Koreans who came of age during the 1980's. But, also, let me say that since around 2010 or so, the country seems to have become friendlier in their perception of us and the media has run a lot less hate about us. Maybe its because of a change of heart, maybe because Lee Myung Bak has pushed English and is foriegn friendly, or maybe it was because the Western media started picking up on this and the bad press shamed them. Who knows? But, things have changed. Whether, it's temporary or permanent is anybody's guess. But, we are judged on appearance and other things, too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Weigookin74



Joined: 26 Oct 2009

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiger fancini wrote:
newb wrote:
tiger fancini wrote:
newb wrote:


Is it because:

1. I'm no longer naive and don't believe everything they feed me?
2. they are begining to lose face because I know too much truth about socio-political issues of Korea?
3. I made and making too much coin while doing far less than Korean employees do?
4. they simply want a new face?


If you project this to them, then of course they are going to sick and tired of you.


I never projected anything to them. The school admin keeps nothing secret about my salary, extra compensations, and benefits to other Korean teachers. Besides, why should it matter if I make more than them? (scratchin' my head)


I would say it depends on their perception of whether you actually earn your money. Most Korean teachers know the general financial deal that foreigners get here. However, some foreigners may be perceived as being lazy, unreliable and lacking in teaching skills. If such a foreigner were to brag about their salary (not saying YOU do btw), then that could cause some friction.

On the other hand if you work hard and are perceived as 'diligent' by your co-workers, then I can't see why you would encounter any hostility. Remember that the definition of 'diligent' in a Korean's mind may not be the same as yours.


+1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
I'm With You



Joined: 01 Sep 2011

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locals perceive us as being unskilled, lazy opportunists who earn more money than they do for the same work merely by speaking our native language.

Also, they don't want us here long-term. They want us to leave. And let's be honest here, hogwan teaching was never meant to be a career. It's designed to be a 1 - 3 year adventure for young Canadians looking to try and pay back their student loans and have a bit of fun.

This perception of EFL teachers is also held by Japanese and Taiwanese locals. They tolerate us, at best.

One final bit of irony, it's the locals working in the EFL industry that seem to despise us the most. Anyone here notice that?

Check this video out on Youtube. It's a video cautioning students to choose their native English teachers carefully. This series of videos provides some insights, however, of what locals really think about foreign EFL teachers. It's not all that flattering.

Link: Choose Your English Teacher Carefully!

These videos portray native English speakers as unemployable / homeless and uneducated back in their home country, setting out to make some easy money.


Last edited by I'm With You on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
schwa



Joined: 18 Jan 2003
Location: sokcho

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rightly or not, many ordinary Koreans clearly show an uptick of respect if they learn you work for a public school rather than a hagwon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Paddycakes



Joined: 05 May 2003
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm With You wrote:


Link: Choose Your English Teacher Carefully!

These videos portray native English speakers as unemployable / homeless and uneducated back in their home country, setting out to make some easy money.



You know stereotypes generally don't just fall out of the sky. There's usually a kernal of truth in them.

Is that video fair to all ESL teachers. Of course not. But are there a lot of ESL teachers who match the image portrayed.... you betcha.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Paddycakes



Joined: 05 May 2003
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure this guy is a Visiting Professor at one of the local uni's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqQGsSpgTeE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International