Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean Perception of Foreign English Teachers
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetaFitX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Korean Perception of Foreign English Teachers Reply with quote

I was having an interesting conversation with a good (Korean) friend of mine and we kind of drifted into talking about Korean perceptions of all things foreign here. I asked her about what many Koreans thought about foreign English teacher and her answer kind of surprised me. She straight up told me that many of them see foreign English teachers as incompetent, lazy and unable to get a job back in their home country. So, they come to Korea...

I asked her that if that is the only reason they come here what does that say about Korea....but it didn't seem to register.

I don't know, I've always gotten the impression that although I'm somewhat low on the totem pole here, most people seem to give me a good amount of respect when I'm out and about (perhaps not in the workplace but that is a different story).

Do many Koreans really see the foreigners teaching English here that way????
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Korean Perception of Foreign English Teachers Reply with quote

MetaFitX wrote:
She straight up told me that many of them see foreign English teachers as incompetent, lazy and unable to get a job back in their home country

There is often a bit of racism in this answer but don't worry there are plenty of wonderful Koreans out there that do respect what we are doing. My Korean co-workers always tell me how they can't believe the energy, and great lesson plans the foreign teachers in Korea have. One of my co-teachers told me today how she has learned so much from me. She is 40 years old and has been teaching for 15 years! But teachers in general are a easy group to be picked on, specially back in our home countries. We don't carry the big guns.

Last edited by No_hite_pls on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The women are generally more open and less angry about us dirty foreigners being here than the men. If you work at a hagwon, don't expect to garner much respect when you tell people what you do. But, it's not all that bad... there are a lot of people here who are willing to buy you lunch/dinner and pay you $50 just to talk with them for an hour. That's respect.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing opinion varies.
Peace Train

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone working outside the education sphere, let me tell you, this sentiment is pretty universal.

Since i'm considered to be a "professional" in this country, my colleagues have no filter when discussing this subject. I've yet to talk to one who has a positive thing to say about english teachers. The multitude of articles and expos�'s over the years have made a serious dent in public consciousness contrary to the "tempest in a teapot" defense most here like to wrap themselves in to stay warm.
highstreet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my young (20-30s) Korean friends are surprised that all you need is any degree to get a teaching position. They were under the idea that it was a somewhat more difficult process to become a teacher. But, none of them look down on them.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
Most of my young (20-30s) Korean friends are surprised that all you need is any degree to get a teaching position. They were under the idea that it was a somewhat more difficult process to become a teacher. But, none of them look down on them.

Why would they admit it to you if they did?
aq8knyus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say there is more negative stereotypes about english teachers amongst non-esl foreigners in Korea than amongst Koreans.

Millions of Koreans spend a lot of money on sending their kids to be taught by the waygook. Why would they do that if they thought we were incompetent and/or lazy?

I also dont understand the 'can't get a job back home' line, whilst the truly gucci jobs are indeed difficult to get back in the home country. It is not difficult to find a run of the mill 18-20k GBP office monkey job for a grad.
JustinC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't respect the opinion of anyone who said they or their friends thought people in my occupation were all of those things. How utterly rude and insensitive.

I'm sure there is a small minority who just don't like there being foreigners, who have all been vetted for criminal records and disease, in their country - you get racists everywhere - just as you get Koreans welcoming us with open arms and inviting us to drink and/or eat with them.

There will be some antagonism and favoritism to foreigners in Korea, recent and not-so-recent history has ensured that, but who cares what the colleague of a friend of some guy on Dave's thinks? Life's too short.
Savant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aq8knyus wrote:
Millions of Koreans spend a lot of money on sending their kids to be taught by the waygook. Why would they do that if they thought we were incompetent and/or lazy?

Babysitting service to make up for the parents' own incompetence and/or laziness?
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i once had a korean ask me, strangely enough, what americans thought about canadians.

i told them that americans think canadians spend all day sitting around their homes getting drunk off maple moonshine and trying to figure out how best to ride the abundance of wildlife in their backyard forests.

the korean was astounded.
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Korean Perception of Foreign English Teachers Reply with quote

MetaFitX wrote:
She straight up told me that many of them see foreign English teachers as incompetent, lazy and unable to get a job back in their home country. So, they come to Korea...

What makes you think this is just the 'Korean' perception of English teachers in this country?
Peace Train

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinC wrote:
but who cares what the colleague of a friend of some guy on Dave's thinks? Life's too short.

Apathy now.

Ya, I guess you just don't get it. I'll assume your post is referencing my post above. It's not a friend i'm speaking of, it's my colleagues whom i've spoken to face-to-face on numerous occasions. They represent a decent cross section of Korean society -- males and females, graduates from universities of varying reputability, VP level down to secretaries. They all parrot the talking points the korean media have been blasting the public with for a decade now.

"They are all losers"
"They can't get a job back home"
"They are only here to take advantage of Korean girls"
"I really hate English Teachers"

The last one is the most common one I hear.

A lot of my best friends in this country are teaching english and are good people so I do my best to deflect or persuade when I hear this rhetoric. Never with any success.
I just find it quizzical that when the media brazenly craps all over you, there is an outspoken majority exclaiming that its a "tempest in a teapot" and will blow over. Clearly that's not the case, sorry. People in this country ARE influenced, quite extensively, by the media.

Don't mistake "cultural sensitivity" (whatever that even means) with apathy.
JustinC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peace Train wrote:

They sound jealous.

See, I can also take one line completely out of context.
Peace Train

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinC wrote:
Peace Train wrote:

They sound jealous.

See, I can also take one line completely out of context.

What does that even mean?
What is this context you speak of?

You aren't the brightest bulb are you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: