Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Single? Lonely? Try the Dec 24th Mass Meetings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dairyairy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Single? Lonely? Try the Dec 24th Mass Meetings Reply with quote

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2012/12/116_126265.html

Quote:
Singles bothered about spending a solitary Christmas could find a partner, or at least spend the holiday in the company of like-minded people at date hunting events to take place on Christmas Eve in cities across the nation.

The largest ever organized hunt for a date will involve around 350,000 participants who have signed up so far as of Wednesday.

Organized by event agency �Nimyeonsy,� which means �is in a relationship� in Korean, is supported by around 200 companies and 200 individual volunteers.

Singles will gather in designated spots in 13 cities on Dec. 24 with men clad in white and women in red. Participants are free to grab the hands of any person they wish to date, in the hope of living their futures together happily ever after.

Participants in Seoul are to gather at 3 p.m. in Yeouido Park, and gatherings will also take place in Busan, Incheon, Daejeon, Daegu and Gwangju.

The mass event started from a single status posted on Facebook by a college graduate in early November.

�Young people these days are so preoccupied with building their credentials to get employed, they do not have time to date or meet people,� Jang Chan-wook, co-head of the movement, told The Korea Times, Wednesday.

�People spend a lot of time online, instead of going out and meeting others, so we initially just proposed on Facebook that singles should meet up for Christmas,� said Jang.

Instant positive feedback prompted Jang and his partner Yu Tae-hyung to set up some basic guidelines and upload the official post which has been �liked� by some 340,000 users of Facebook so far.

According to Jang, Facebook was the ideal method and medium through which to promote the event.

The event has attracted the attention of some 400 companies, half of which have offered to give products as prizes to the participants. They include game companies as well as online shopping malls.

Other companies such as outdoor brand K2 and social dating company i-um, have given their single employees paid leave for Dec. 24, so that they can participate in the event.

However, concerns about safety have been raised about the large numbers of people gathering in confined areas. A Facebook user named Evan Jeong posted �Women especially should be cautious because sexual harassment can occur in crowded places. I initially planned to go but I changed my mind.�

Nimyeonsy is recruiting volunteers to be posted at the designated spots to be on stand-by in case accidents occur. Around 200 people have been recruited so far.

However, enthusiasm for the gathering is sky-high, with comments such as �I�m going to skip work to be there� and �I�m going out right now to get some white clothes,� appearing online.

alongway

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeouido how original. People know there are other places in Seoul right?
T-J

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why the KT posted an English language article about this event nor am I sure why the OP felt it appropriate to pass it along in these forums.
highstreet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, Dave's hates on parks now?
alongway

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:

No, just tired of seeing every single special event, festival or what not that comes up taking place there. Whole other city out there full of people and places.
actionjackson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-J wrote:

Not sure why the KT posted an English language article about this event nor am I sure why the OP felt it appropriate to pass it along in these forums.

I'm sure they were just trying to let Zackback know there is hope for him yet.
highstreet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
highstreet wrote:

No, just tired of seeing every single special event, festival or what not that comes up taking place there. Whole other city out there full of people and places.

I'm guessing they picked it because they expect a large turnout. And it's somewhat central to everything.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-J wrote:

They're expecting at least 35,000 people for this event in Seoul and you don't think anyone would be interested in going or at least discussing it? C'mon. Dave's is largely made up of single people. It's time they has a chance to meet someone. Give them a chance at love.

Here's the Facebook page for more information:

https://www.facebook.com/lovetoday2?fref=ts

Daejeon meetup http://cafe.naver.com/jinbaby
Busan http://cafe.naver.com/hj394
Gwangju http://cafe.naver.com/eagleking
alongway

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dave's is largely made up of single people.

And you've determined this how?
Lucas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm sure they were just trying to let Zackback know there is hope for him yet.

Quote:
Participants are free to grab the hands of any person they wish to date

Just making it clear for you Zack, if they start screaming, just let go!
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a potentially great way to get laid, but it's probably going to be a sausage fest.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:
Sounds like a potentially great way to get laid, but it's probably going to be a sausage fest.

John, I doubt you're in danger of getting laid anytime in this millenium. Laughing
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
Quote:
Dave's is largely made up of single people.

And you've determined this how?

Dave's ESL Cafe posts do have a vibe of semen buildup about them.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's not good to flip random people you don't know. Take your own advice. But I still think you deserve a good whooping. I don't know how you continue to troll these parts.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:
Yeah, it's not good to flip random people you don't know. Take your own advice. But I still think you deserve a good whooping. I don't know how you continue to troll these parts.

Pretty much anyone who is happily living their own life and happens to share ideas you can't comprehend (even given your impressive 25yrs of wisdom) is a troll in your mind, right John? Idea
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: